Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Catlin's Highway Advice  (Read 5632 times)

January 18, 2013, 02:34:12 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

Catlin's Highway Advice
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:34:12 am »
Here's some advice, never drink a 5 hour energy and chase it with an energy drink.......

Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #1January 18, 2013, 02:37:02 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

Re: Catlin's Highway Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:02 am »
I heard dihydrogen oxide is a great fix for that.   :P  Don't drink the blinker fluid, though

Reply #2January 18, 2013, 02:44:07 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:44:07 am »
My mind is running so fast it's annoying I can't even type fast enough for my thoughts and my truck is going WAY tooooo slow! Damn you Ontario
Catlin

1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)

Reply #3January 18, 2013, 02:49:58 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:49:58 am »
 ;D

Reply #4January 18, 2013, 02:57:25 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 02:57:25 am »
I can now hear my hair growing....
Catlin

Reply #5January 18, 2013, 12:53:57 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:57 pm »
i do not really believe in energy drinks.  if it takes more than a single cup of coffee then u actually need sleep.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #6January 18, 2013, 01:28:37 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
If you need ANYTHING to be alert... I am scared you are driving a rig in my province ;)

NExt time you need some alertness try eeating some healthy food lol.

Chocolate
Chocolate is perhaps one of the most direct contradictions to the truism that things that taste good must be very bad for you. Far from a guilty pleasure, chocolate is an abundant source of flavonoids, antioxidants that may help prevent chronic diseases, lower blood pressure and provide protection from cardiovascular disorders. It also is a source of a number of psychoactive components such as methylxanthines that help promote alertness, according to a 2005 article in "EXPLORE: The Journal of Science and Healing." It may have been the methylxanthines in chocolate that caused its consumption by Aztec warriors before they went into battle.

Turkey
Protein-rich foods can help you feel more alert by upping the amounts of tyrosine in your brain and bloodstream, according to the Franklin Institute. Tyrosine is a building block of norepinephrine and dopamine, brain chemicals that boost alertness, concentration and motivation. Tyrosine also is crucial to the production of thyroid hormones. If your thyroid is underactive, mental and physical fatigue can result. Turkey is an especially good source of tyrosine. Other tyrosine sources include soy products, cottage cheese, almonds, dairy products, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds.

Peppermint
Enjoying a hard peppermint candy may help wake you up even in normally sleep-inducing conditions. A study published in the "International Journal of Psychophysiology" in 2005 reported that volunteers in a darkened room for 11 minutes were far less likely to fall asleep if they received peppermint. The effect is likely due to peppermint's bracing smell. Check with your physician before using peppermint medicinally.

Eggs
Choline is a member of the B vitamin family. It is necessary for the production of acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter is important to memory, focus, concentration and mental clarity. Egg yolks are one of the best sources of dietary choline, while egg whites contain the brain-booster tyrosine. Egg consumption may raise cholesterol levels, however, and they may not be a good choice for those at risk for heart disease. Consult your physician or a registered dietitian to find out if eggs are appropriate for you.

Reply #7January 18, 2013, 01:32:58 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »
I had to stop drinking anything containing caffeine, I was getting some major caffeine withdrawal migraines. My solution to my problems was to actually get some sleep.

Reply #8January 18, 2013, 04:23:26 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:26 pm »
Ill be out of your province soon and back into the land of Quebec heading east! :P

I got stuck with a rush load and it had an AM drop with a 1000kms to cover overnight! Made and the drop and got some sleep :D
Catlin

Reply #9January 18, 2013, 07:43:11 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:11 pm »
As a night-shift veteran, the 5-hour (little bottles) work great... drink two if you're really tired.
Energy drinks are too much, they just wreck your system then you crash hard. I find that one 5-hour
supplemented with occasional sodas keeps me cruising well past my bed time, as I stay up on my fridays into the weekend to flip back to day shift.  :P
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #10January 18, 2013, 08:19:15 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:19:15 pm »
So a Turkey and egg sandwich with a spread of chocolate, Semisweet and dark of course and a side of peppermint or steal the mints at the checkout stand.  Better than those little bottles. 

Reply #11January 18, 2013, 09:15:11 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »
If you need ANYTHING to be alert... I am scared you are driving a rig in my province ;)

NExt time you need some alertness try eeating some healthy food lol.

Chocolate
Chocolate is perhaps one of the most direct contradictions to the truism that things that taste good must be very bad for you. Far from a guilty pleasure, chocolate is an abundant source of flavonoids, antioxidants that may help prevent chronic diseases, lower blood pressure and provide protection from cardiovascular disorders. It also is a source of a number of psychoactive components such as methylxanthines that help promote alertness, according to a 2005 article in "EXPLORE: The Journal of Science and Healing." It may have been the methylxanthines in chocolate that caused its consumption by Aztec warriors before they went into battle.

Turkey
Protein-rich foods can help you feel more alert by upping the amounts of tyrosine in your brain and bloodstream, according to the Franklin Institute. Tyrosine is a building block of norepinephrine and dopamine, brain chemicals that boost alertness, concentration and motivation. Tyrosine also is crucial to the production of thyroid hormones. If your thyroid is underactive, mental and physical fatigue can result. Turkey is an especially good source of tyrosine. Other tyrosine sources include soy products, cottage cheese, almonds, dairy products, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds.

Peppermint
Enjoying a hard peppermint candy may help wake you up even in normally sleep-inducing conditions. A study published in the "International Journal of Psychophysiology" in 2005 reported that volunteers in a darkened room for 11 minutes were far less likely to fall asleep if they received peppermint. The effect is likely due to peppermint's bracing smell. Check with your physician before using peppermint medicinally.

Eggs
Choline is a member of the B vitamin family. It is necessary for the production of acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter is important to memory, focus, concentration and mental clarity. Egg yolks are one of the best sources of dietary choline, while egg whites contain the brain-booster tyrosine. Egg consumption may raise cholesterol levels, however, and they may not be a good choice for those at risk for heart disease. Consult your physician or a registered dietitian to find out if eggs are appropriate for you.

Im going with healthy eating.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #12January 19, 2013, 12:02:35 am

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 12:02:35 am »
I used to be an energy drink junkie, usually 2 cans of monster a day plus a fountain pop.

I finally gave up the energy drinks a year or so ago, they were really tearing my stomach up and they provided no noticeable increase in energy, I think I became immune.

Now It's coffee and soda (pop as we hoosiers call it) and whatever else, I love milk. Just no more energy drinks, I feel better without them.

Oh, and I love dark chocolate, but I hate milk chocolate.
2004 Golf BEW, '81 1.6 NA rabbit (soon to be parted out)

Reply #13January 19, 2013, 12:32:08 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 12:32:08 am »
tyb525  as soon as I read fountain pop my eyes went to your sig.  Yep, mid westerner.  I grew up in MI and didn't think pop was a strange word until every time I used it here in Oregon people would ask. WHAT?  Oh you mean soda.  Had to smile reading your reply. 

Chocolate milk is just to sweet.  Have you tried chocolate beer yet?  Oh, that's probably a Portland weirdness.  But good.  Makes for a wide away drunk. 

Reply #14January 19, 2013, 12:41:39 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:39 am »
Love me some chocolate beer ;)

Fixmyvw.com