Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: K&N Cone Air Filter.  (Read 12883 times)

Reply #15January 12, 2013, 02:26:06 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: K&N Cone Air Filter.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 02:26:06 pm »
I have a generic cone on there right now, that is dirty as a donkey's aaaaaaassssssssss.. No noticeable effect on power from new to now.

I only have it for convenience and I don't have a stock mk1 diesel air box. 

I run Mann filters on what I can, and for $3 why not? Either way, I see no gains to a K&N. I will not ever use one in my lifetime. A bandwagon I will not be on lol.

ghetto vato zone filters are junk..

K&N filters are NOT junk..

they are one of the best working filters ive ever had..

back in my wheelin days, i would have an air filter that was CLOGGED with mud, and the inside was spotless, along with the intake pipes..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16January 12, 2013, 03:15:53 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 03:15:53 pm »
I have a generic cone on there right now, that is dirty as a donkey's aaaaaaassssssssss.. No noticeable effect on power from new to now.

I run Mann filters on what I can, and for $3 why not? Either way, I see no gains to a K&N. I will not ever use one in my lifetime. A bandwagon I will not be on lol.

back in my wheelin days, i would have an air filter that was CLOGGED with mud, and the inside was spotless, along with the intake pipes..

So, if I was going to buy a K&N filter, , what minimum  size or surface area, shape (cone, oval?)

Reply #17January 12, 2013, 04:58:07 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 04:58:07 pm »
Go to the K&N website, look up  the one for a turbo 1.6, and don't  go smaller than that.
Be sure it sucks cold air, or you will end up with a performance loss.
The shape of the element is far less important than the ducting around it.

Reply #18January 13, 2013, 08:49:28 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio

Reply #19January 13, 2013, 01:17:50 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 01:17:50 pm »
I'm going against the grain by voting NAY on K&N filters (which are made right up the road from me). I speak from my own experiences.

I think they pass a lot of fine dust. Around here it's desert and there is a lot of fine dust. I've drive my VW on dirt roads. When I bought my Cummins truck, the previous owner put one on and I was very disappointed to find a fine layer of dust coating all the intercooler piping and such. I ripped it out and crushed it, so it couldn't do any more damage to another car. I don't think it hurt the engine that much but still, they're not a good idea for my use at least. The same thing happened on my Cherokee too when I tried one, like 10 years ago, I observed dust in my intake after using a K&N filter. The oil came out too and mixed with the dust which gummed up the throttle body requiring it to be removed for cleaning.

I do think they have a purpose, on a boat maybe (I've read they qualify as a flame arrestor) or race vehicle that doesn't see much use in dusty environments. But for the "real world" I don't like them. Give me a paper filter that catches everything even if it takes away 5 hp. If you live somewhere that isn't dusty at all, I think it might be OK.

Reply #20January 13, 2013, 04:20:55 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 04:20:55 pm »

So, if I was going to buy a K&N filter, , what minimum  size or surface area, shape (cone, oval?)

The demands of our engines, pretty much any K&N will work.

Baj. I understand your deal, you have actually ran a K&N from what you say. I think you could have had this experience and if I had similar I would think that I would do the same as you. I have not however and think all should find out what the deal is for themselves.

Reply #21January 13, 2013, 06:00:30 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:30 pm »
My test environment

Reply #22January 13, 2013, 06:17:03 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »
I'm going against the grain by voting NAY on K&N filters (which are made right up the road from me). I speak from my own experiences.

I think they pass a lot of fine dust. Around here it's desert and there is a lot of fine dust. I've drive my VW on dirt roads. When I bought my Cummins truck, the previous owner put one on and I was very disappointed to find a fine layer of dust coating all the intercooler piping and such. I ripped it out and crushed it, so it couldn't do any more damage to another car. I don't think it hurt the engine that much but still, they're not a good idea for my use at least. The same thing happened on my Cherokee too when I tried one, like 10 years ago, I observed dust in my intake after using a K&N filter. The oil came out too and mixed with the dust which gummed up the throttle body requiring it to be removed for cleaning.

I do think they have a purpose, on a boat maybe (I've read they qualify as a flame arrestor) or race vehicle that doesn't see much use in dusty environments. But for the "real world" I don't like them. Give me a paper filter that catches everything even if it takes away 5 hp. If you live somewhere that isn't dusty at all, I think it might be OK.

if oiled PROPERLY... they will filter out 99.9% of all dust.. if your engine had dust in the intercooler and charge piping, then its because the PO didnt know how to properly clean and oil the filter..

he either used compressed air (and blew the gauze apart) on the filter, or didnt use sufficient oil...

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #23January 13, 2013, 10:44:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 10:44:08 pm »
I think you've all coaxed me over, I'll be getting one when I build my cold air box in the passenger fender.

Reply #24January 14, 2013, 04:51:13 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:13 am »
I think you've all coaxed me over, I'll be getting one when I build my cold air box in the passenger fender.

Can you elaborate a bit more about your design plans.

Reply #25January 14, 2013, 09:25:58 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 09:25:58 am »

Can you elaborate a bit more about your design plans.

build a shroud around the filter, to keep hot under-hood air from entering the filter. he wants to keep cold air available to his filter 100% of the time..

i imagine it will be somethin like a Neuspeed P-Flow intake..

Reply #26January 14, 2013, 01:22:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 01:22:08 pm »
pretty much a vvery thin sheet metal (steel or alum) box that will allow the draw of air to be channeled up through the passenger side. Between the frame rail, and the inner fender is a nice little duct that pretty much goes straight down to the ground. Was figuring on building a box that incorporated this design as part of the ducting.

Reply #27January 14, 2013, 05:23:04 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:04 pm »
Thanks for all the help.

pretty much a vvery thin sheet metal (steel or alum) box that will allow the draw of air to be channeled up through the passenger side. Between the frame rail, and the inner fender is a nice little duct that pretty much goes straight down to the ground. Was figuring on building a box that incorporated this design as part of the ducting.

I was noticing that gap today. So you intent to build a box and vent it on the bottom to the "duct" or even better yet attach a hose to the bottom of the box and run it down and facing forwards - using a ram air type of effect?

also found this: http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Building-and-Testing-an-Airbox/A_110281/article.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:27:33 pm by homerj1 »

Reply #28January 14, 2013, 05:49:57 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 05:49:57 pm »
Thanks for all the help.

I was noticing that gap today. So you intent to build a box and vent it on the bottom to the "duct" or even better yet attach a hose to the bottom of the box and run it down and facing forwards - using a ram air type of effect?

also found this: http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Building-and-Testing-an-Airbox/A_110281/article.html

opps this is the link -http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Airboxes.html

Reply #29January 14, 2013, 09:39:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:08 pm »
even better yet attach a hose to the bottom of the box and run it down and facing forwards - using a ram air type of effect?

Gotta be careful, it'd probably be really easy to suck up some water that way! Mind you, will it get past the filter? Probably not.

Fixmyvw.com