Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: K&N Cone Air Filter.  (Read 12878 times)

January 11, 2013, 05:02:40 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

K&N Cone Air Filter.
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:02:40 pm »
My 84 mk1 came with a a n/a motor - so no inner fender air box.  Looked at fitting a mk3 aaz air box - but it is too big.

So I'm thinking of a K&N Universal Filter - what size and shape is everyone using?

Also any ideas or pics on how you isolate the above filter from the heat of the engine compartment? or does that really matter in PEI? ( lows of -5 to -20 deg C. and summer temps of 20 to 28 deg C

I also plan to run a inter-cooler - so extra space  is importance - hence the K&N.

Reply #1January 11, 2013, 07:28:41 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: K&N Cone Air Filter.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »
No advantage to an inter-cooler on a Naturally Aspirated engine.

Also I have heard and read a K&N is really no good. Sure it flows a butt ton of air, but how do you think it does it? At the loss of filtering ability. ;) A stock paper element will be more than enough for any stock to mild build.

Reply #2January 11, 2013, 09:48:08 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:48:08 pm »
Meh, I ran mine at burning man which is among the dustiest places on earth, and got less  dirt in the intake than my bro with his Fram.  In fact I didn't see any on my clean side, but it took awhile to wash afterward.
That said, the cones have less are than the stock element on my car, so I went with the stock replace K&N.
My banks kit came with a  K&N so I used it...for $2700 would they really ship it with something that cost them more, and didn't filer?

Reply #3January 11, 2013, 09:53:43 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:53:43 pm »
I'm just saying what I have read from tests not done by me.

For $2700 would they really ship it with something that cost them more, and didn't filer?

To get higher net power gains? I wouldn't put it past them ;).

Reply #4January 11, 2013, 09:59:38 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:59:38 pm »
They round to an integer anyway, I doubt it makes that much difference.

Reply #5January 11, 2013, 10:04:30 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:04:30 pm »
They round to an integer anyway, I doubt it makes that much difference.

Then I'll save the $43 over a paper filter ;).

Reply #6January 11, 2013, 11:51:16 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:51:16 pm »
8v, I wouldn't knock them until you try them. I used to race ATV's and all mine had the K&N brand filters. In the dust bowls of Ohio summers we never had an issue. On my 4x4 offroad stuff I have ran them too. They filter well, especially out of the box. I think the deal is most don't know how to clean them properly. It says right on them, DO NOT USE GAS, but everyone i know but me uses gas to clean them. The filter cleaner actually gets it cleaner than gas. I think gas degrades the filter as well. But at any rate, I like them and have no issues at all.

Reply #7January 12, 2013, 12:06:46 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 12:06:46 am »
Right, and if you do not do it exactly as they say.... no filtering. The oil traps the dirt and not the filter. Frankly, with proper care I'd be afraid to have a diesel sucking oil in to the intake :S.

Reply #8January 12, 2013, 12:32:09 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 12:32:09 am »
I think the deal is most don't know how to clean them properly. It says right on them, DO NOT USE GAS, but everyone i know but me uses gas to clean them. The filter cleaner actually gets it cleaner than gas. I think gas degrades the filter as well.

I've never actually watched anyone else clean one but soaking in gasoline will eat the cotton filter medium pretty quickly! I think the cleaner is basically isopropyl alcohol but it comes with the oil and is not very expensive anyway.

Reply #9January 12, 2013, 12:42:14 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:42:14 am »
Right, and if you do not do it exactly as they say.... no filtering. The oil traps the dirt and not the filter. Frankly, with proper care I'd be afraid to have a diesel sucking oil in to the intake :S.
You can go on their website, and it tells you exactly how much oil to use if you are inept enough not to be able to figure it out.  
It's about enough to fuel a 1.6 at WOT for 0.0787 second.
Really, it's about like washing a dish every 20,000 mi.
I have two so I can trade them out, and my average cost used was $3ea.

Reply #10January 12, 2013, 12:42:48 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 12:42:48 am »
Another good point, What is the point? Are we building extreme power engines? No. Has big power been proven on much cheaper no maintenance OEM paper filters? Yes.

Reason for K&N on any car on this board? None.

Reply #11January 12, 2013, 01:20:35 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 01:20:35 am »
1 I've seen a paper filter that in side by side  comparison  filtered remarkably worse, and none of the local stores carry a better brand anymore.
2 Why throw more stuff in the trash?
3 possible small performance gain, why not?
4 when it's dirty, you don't have to go anywhere to find another.

I'm just saying what I have read from tests not done by me.

For $2700 would they really ship it with something that cost them more, and didn't filer?

To get higher net power gains? I wouldn't put it past them ;).

Here you imply they will make a difference on a vehicle with an added turbo, and slightly larger exhaust???
Another good point, What is the point? Are we building extreme power engines? No. Has big power been proven on much cheaper no maintenance OEM paper filters? Yes.

Reason for K&N on any car on this board? None.
So what would be wrong with a little more power

Then I'll save the $43 over a paper filter ;).
3 changes later, I'll be ahead $2, except I paid way less than that for my K&N, so I'll be ahead like $30.

Cones is another issue, but if you must have a manly cone filter, I can sell you one of these.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:32:14 am by 745 turbogreasel »

Reply #12January 12, 2013, 01:33:59 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 01:33:59 am »
I have a generic cone on there right now, that is dirty as a donkey's aaaaaaassssssssss.. No noticeable effect on power from new to now.

I only have it for convenience and I don't have a stock mk1 diesel air box. 

I run Mann filters on what I can, and for $3 why not? Either way, I see no gains to a K&N. I will not ever use one in my lifetime. A bandwagon I will not be on lol.

Reply #13January 12, 2013, 05:08:19 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 05:08:19 am »
No advantage to an inter-cooler on a Naturally Aspirated engine.

Also I have heard and read a K&N is really no good. Sure it flows a butt ton of air, but how do you think it does it? At the loss of filtering ability. ;) A stock paper element will be more than enough for any stock to mild build.

Sorry, a beer related typo  :)

My 84 came with a n/a motor, but I am putting in a 1.6 td.- and I am therefore missing the td fender mt air box. Since I am running a k03, I do plan to install a intercooler at some pt.

So do I, 1. Look for a mk1 td airbox. 2. Run a washable filter ( like a K&N) 3. Stop overthinking stuff. lol
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:11:48 am by homerj1 »

Reply #14January 12, 2013, 09:26:35 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 09:26:35 am »
Jer, seriously, lay off the K&N until you run one. I had mine in my ATV for 8 years, racing conditions, and never had to rebuild it in those years. Eventually, the honda trans failed as I ripped the hell out of it, so the engine didn't fail because I babied it. The guys I raced with used UNI, K&N, and stock units and the only guys with issues were the ones that ran no airbox. It didn't matter what you ran if you didn't run the airbox they would be rebuilding every 10 races or so. I have found the generic are not the same as K&N. I have picked them up and you can see holes in the generics cotton vs. the K&N. I also have found that my diesels would always blow quite a bit more black with a paper filter. My engine that ingested the precup had 40,000 miles and looked brand new - the 3rd cylinder of course. You could see the hone marks and it did very well. I am not saying to jump on the bandwagen, but I would ask you stop giving a bad rep to them. I feel it is undeserved.