Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Does anyone make a stainless downpipe for a 1.6 TD?  (Read 5738 times)

Reply #15March 03, 2006, 12:55:15 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

Does anyone make a stainless downpipe for a 1.6 TD?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 12:55:15 pm »
Quote from: "libbybapa"
How many cylinders is the 1.4?  Does the 3 cyl share the same tranny bolt pattern as the 4?

Andrew

It is 3cyl, and yes it shares the same bolt pattern.
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #16March 03, 2006, 11:31:21 pm

vwpieces

• User+

Re: TD Down Pipe
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 11:31:21 pm »
Quote from: "josh arnold"
Yeah, its about time isn't it?  I work for TT, and finally got them convinced to make a down pipe for the IDI.  We were considering making it in 2.5" but, don't really feel that 2.5" tubing would be benificial for the small 1.6L engine, however I hope to do some dyno testing on that.  I would like to hear what you guys think.  Now maybe for the 1.9 IDI in the A-1 chassis we will make a 2.5" set up.

All I can say is Thanks! I was on the phone w/ TT a bit over a year ago & was told there was a TD mk1 in there getting fitted with a DP. I asked if something was going to be made but I guess nothing was definite back then. I was just building the TD Jetta at the time & could not locate the front pipe that clips on the cast iron DP from the turbo & goes under the car. I finally was in touch with someone in Germany that walked into a dealer & bought me the part off the shelf. I was able to complete the car. The factory front pipe was not clearanced for a front sway bar & I have one on my Jetta. It makes noise every time I accelerate at 1/2 throttle or more.

I checcked out the pics earlier tonight & the SS DP looks awesome. I do have a few questions:
What is the brace at the top by the turbo flange?
Is the SS prone to crack there?
If it was to crack some years down the road will TT replace it?
Will the DP clear a front factory swaybar from a cabbby or GTI?
I think i read earlier... this is made to fit with your (cough) "cat back" 2.25 SS system?

Thanks again, consider one sold.
Nick

Reply #17March 05, 2006, 09:41:05 am

tmaybee

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 09:41:05 am »
Thanks for all the responses.  I'll wait for Dave to respond about the regular steel downpipe, but I am in serious need of a new exhaust ASAP....  don't want to leave pieces of my current one on the road!

Reply #18March 08, 2006, 07:33:34 pm

935racer

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 07:33:34 pm »
What would you like to know about the DP's? I responded to the email you sent me.

S-PAutomotive.com