Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: yea.. why will my diesel no run...  (Read 3485 times)

January 03, 2013, 11:50:36 pm

CRSMP5

yea.. why will my diesel no run...
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:36 pm »
007 kubvan.. red one i did head on last year.. i never liked how it started cold.. was never right.. kinda like the engine had to get up to rpm while cranking to stay running...

looked at it.. puzzled me.. figured pump lost pressure somehow... but talk to owner how its always been...

fast forward to a few weeks ago... ok now it no start... owner changes filters, plunger so on...

yesterday we speak via phone... give a few more tips... he cracks his "out bolt" loose to see if pump has fuel... pssssshhhhhhhh  not supposed to do that...

looks like vent on tank plugged up.. creates suction in tank...

ok 1 issue... try to run off can up front... nope.. not... smoke but no stay running.. let go of key.. dies...

after 30 min.... ding.. wonder if ignition switch bad... i have my emergancy german spare... plug it in... starts better then any time and most other diesels now... :P even the weird log crank is gone... been bad long time... the "high rpm" was required as you let off the key, to miss the bad spot so it would keep running for the solit second it passed over the bad spot..

pretty neet find/fix... bad for 10+ year....

Reply #1January 04, 2013, 01:11:32 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: yea.. why will my diesel no run...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:32 am »
Very interesting presentation you got here.  Makes one think of the tick tock of a clock in a way.

Reply #2January 04, 2013, 01:25:51 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:25:51 am »
Like a hiaku (sp?) poem lol

Reply #3January 04, 2013, 03:11:02 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:11:02 am »
made me wonder if thats why 8v's quit working... but he figured that out...

i just find the 10 years of crap starting was that... if his alt light worked properly.. id have cought that a year ago... but with grumman wiring.. stock not like vw... the instrument panel looses power when cranking... i rewired mine to work like vw...

Reply #4January 04, 2013, 06:00:53 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:53 pm »
I think it's called brainstorming, or train of thought...writing down thoughts as they pop into your head...
2004 Golf BEW, '81 1.6 NA rabbit (soon to be parted out)

Reply #5January 04, 2013, 10:53:37 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:53:37 pm »
In his case though he is telling us a story.  He just can't remember all the details..LOL.  

Brainstorming or what is that writing style called where you just spew out thoughts,  OH Vortex forum, No it has a proper name.  I will think on that and come back here with an edit if my two brain cells fire at the same time and I think of it.  

Edit:  I think writers just call it Free Writing.  What ever pops into the space between the ears comes out the fingers.  You make sense of it later or maybe someone else will.  Edit Over.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:59:33 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #6January 04, 2013, 11:55:57 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:55:57 pm »
Oh well if you look at his website he has some pretty neat stuff
2004 Golf BEW, '81 1.6 NA rabbit (soon to be parted out)

Reply #7January 05, 2013, 12:26:23 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:23 am »
Oh well if you look at his website he has some pretty neat stuff

Naw hes a good guy, we've all been posting a long time lol. So what looks like e-harassment, is really just e-harassment lol

Reply #8January 05, 2013, 01:03:08 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 01:03:08 am »
my websight?? thanks if so... im into odd crap... had good life.. i have gotten to experiance crap that i cannot say most will... and i just dont care for longtime... live each day not regretting what you do...

switched the switch tonight... made in mexico, 4-6-1982 is date code on the switch... original it is...

reason for this post is not "story" per say... its a duhhh blond moment for how such a simple oversight can plaug you... just a my car did that... or does that... just to help...

Reply #9January 05, 2013, 10:15:24 am

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 10:15:24 am »
In his case though he is telling us a story.  He just can't remember all the details..LOL. 

Brainstorming or what is that writing style called where you just spew out thoughts,  OH Vortex forum, No it has a proper name.  I will think on that and come back here with an edit if my two brain cells fire at the same time and I think of it. 

Edit:  I think writers just call it Free Writing.  What ever pops into the space between the ears comes out the fingers.  You make sense of it later or maybe someone else will.  Edit Over.

Actually, you are thinking of Stream of Consciousness.  Wikipedia description is "to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind. Another phrase for it is 'interior monologue', and is characterized by associative leaps in thought and lack of punctuation."  Seems close.

And yes 8v is right, CRS might type wonky but he's a damn mechanical sage if you meet him face-to-face; engineering degree and everything.  I've had the fortune to meet him on many an occasion, from him tying my tent in a tree at MK1 madness, to me dragging a trans I bought from him an entire city block (unnecessarily :P) in Philly, to random phone calls asking why I haven't posted on the forums in a week.  Always seems to know a good way to fix a problem.  But still feel free to poke fun at him a bit; I mean he did tie my tent up in a tree last year.  ;D

OT, I also had a bit of a similar concern with a MK4 gasser one time at my work; thing would act like it had a start-up miss if you let the key off too slow after cranking.  They had a TSB for this out in the early 2000's for these cars for concerns like that IIRC, telling you to replace the ignition switch.  Goes to show it's not always the component that can be bad, it also can be what controls it.

Reply #10January 05, 2013, 10:29:14 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:29:14 am »
I discovered an intermittent ignition switch in a friend's Odyssey... after the shop had replaced two ECMs ($$!) and it was still behaving badly.  ::)

Reply #11January 05, 2013, 03:08:43 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 03:08:43 pm »
mike degrees do not matter.... just different skills learned.... honestly all it is is a new way to diagnose things...

as for rest of me.. im a rich personality... some hate me... get stuffed... some try to compete with me... kinda fun... rest sit back and go for the ride...

past 3-6mo ive actually come up with some creative ideas... sadly i attribute to the perscription i started in july... sadly stuff ive been part of in past... just now relized.. its time to do it... my new years goal is find $$investor$$ as the market could use what in my brain...

Reply #12January 05, 2013, 06:53:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 06:53:55 pm »
Not that 125 MPG hybrid thingy again?  Solar cells and diesel smoke or something to that effect.