Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: In Pulley Hell  (Read 5699 times)

January 02, 2013, 12:08:21 pm

rs899

• Veteran

In Pulley Hell
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:08:21 pm »
Over the holidays , I am trying to re-engine an old '81 Rabbit Convertible using a  old 1.6 IDI that I had basically lying around with low miles on the pieces.

Well, I forgot a bit about pulleys.  First, I forgot that the diesel block doesn't have the same alternator mounting holes as the old JH gasser block ( I was going to delete the A/C using a Fox alternator and mount).  Rats.  Well, that can be overcome as I have a buddy who can make me a plate or block to locate the Fox  mount over the water pump.

The other snag I have now is where the pulleys will end up.  I forgot that the only water pump pulley I have is a 40mm and I don't have any 40mm pumps.  The only 30mm pulley I have is from the gasser and I realized that it's too large to play with the diesel crank pulley.

Sooo.  How can I get this thing going?  Can I use the gasser crank pulley and the gasser wp pulley ( assuming I can shim it out)?

Sorry about the pic.  It looks like it interferes, but it doesn't, just a bad angle.  The gasser wp pulley on the diesel crank pulley DOES interfere.

I suppose I can buy a 40mm pump, but I have about 3 or 4 good 30mm pumps sitting around.

There aren't any 1.6 diesels in the yards around here- are there any other gasser 30mm wp pulleys that work?

'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #1January 02, 2013, 12:17:28 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: In Pulley Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:17:28 pm »
all 8v gasser pulleys are totally wrong..

i have a mix of 16v, and diesel pulleys on my engine.. everything is as it should be.

im going serpentine as soon as i can get a clutch pulley for my 120a TDI alternator..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2January 02, 2013, 12:49:46 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:49:46 pm »
About anything can be made to work... I would at least determine where the alternator pulley will line up, too.

Reply #3January 02, 2013, 01:03:53 pm

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »
About anything can be made to work... I would at least determine where the alternator pulley will line up, too.

Eventually, but I can't do that until I decide on a crank /water pump plane.  The alternator can probably be made to follow, as it will be mounted to a plate covering the water pump.

The gasser crank/gasser wp can likely be physically made to work, unless there's something  inherently wrong with the ratio.  The gasser crank pulley is smaller and the gasser wp pulley is larger.  Not a lot, maybe 10% each.
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #4January 02, 2013, 01:15:34 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:34 pm »

Eventually, but I can't do that until I decide on a crank /water pump plane.  The alternator can probably be made to follow, as it will be mounted to a plate covering the water pump.

The gasser crank/gasser wp can likely be physically made to work, unless there's something  inherently wrong with the ratio.  The gasser crank pulley is smaller and the gasser wp pulley is larger.  Not a lot, maybe 10% each.

the offset is 100% wrong on 8v pulleys..

you gotta use either 16v or diesel pulleys on a diesel..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5January 03, 2013, 12:38:26 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
The gasser wp pulley on the diesel crank pulley DOES interfere.

What is that a picture of?
 Gasser crank pully and a gasser WP pully?
 Too large to work with the diesel crank pully means the diameter is too large?

I sort of remember the crank pullys that go with the 40mm Wpump had a larger diameter and I ran into the same problem when swapping to 30mm on my very first Rabbit..

Sounds like you are looking for a diesel crank pully, just a tin one, same diameter as the gasser but doesn't stick out as far.

If so keep the waterpump pully, all of our diesel WP pullys are a deep dish.
 Get a diesel crank
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #6January 04, 2013, 10:42:15 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:42:15 am »
The gasser wp pulley on the diesel crank pulley DOES interfere.

What is that a picture of?
 Gasser crank pully and a gasser WP pully?
 Too large to work with the diesel crank pully means the diameter is too large?

I sort of remember the crank pullys that go with the 40mm Wpump had a larger diameter and I ran into the same problem when swapping to 30mm on my very first Rabbit..

Sounds like you are looking for a diesel crank pully, just a tin one, same diameter as the gasser but doesn't stick out as far.

If so keep the waterpump pully, all of our diesel WP pullys are a deep dish.
 Get a diesel crank

the 40mm pulleys were found on the 1.5 diesels. they used a crank pulley that was SMALLER than the rest of the 1.6 and 1.9 engines..

i took a 1.5D crank pulley, and spaced it out ~3mm from the crank on a 1.6d.. that lined it up with my existing pulleys. and my 30mm water pump pulley was MUCH smaller than the 40mm pullley. made myself an under drive pulley set with OEM parts, and a little aluminum spacer..

Reply #7January 04, 2013, 11:49:16 am

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:16 am »

Helps to have a buddy with a full machine shop in his garage who happens to like diesels ( MBs anyway)

So, he made me a 10mm spacer,- looks like I need to add some washers under the pulley (it was hard to measure that and I wanted to be under).

So, looks like this (gasser pulleys)will work   (right?) .  Now I need to measure up where the alternator will go.

I have a set of cast pulleys that I swear came off an early 1.6 diesel block.  They should work, but I have a lifetime supply of 30mm water pumps, so why not use those?

Reply #8January 04, 2013, 12:46:10 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:10 pm »
that spacer is not hubcentric.. the pulley will NEVER be centered.. it will likely cause belt jump as well.

and how are you going to space the alternator properly? your crank pulley is from a gasser. it sticks out WAY too far. get a diesel pulley.

if you use a gasser crank pulley, like you have, then you will need to space ALL THE OTHER PULLEYS out the same amount.

do yourself a favor, and rather than trying to scab gasser pulleys on a diesel, just buy the right pulleys..

Reply #9January 04, 2013, 01:01:53 pm

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »
that spacer is not hubcentric.. the pulley will NEVER be centered.

This is a valid concern.  Unfortunately 10mm puts it out of touch with the wp hub.
In my feeble mind I don't see why I can't align it properly using a reference point ( like the crank pulley that's only 2mm or so away) and spinning/tightening until it spins true.

I'm open to being talked out of this on that basis alone if it is truly a horrible idea.

Once again, wrt the alternator, I am starting from a clean sheet of paper.

I am going to mount a plate over the wp housing using the 4 bolts.  Then locate a block on that to mount the Fox bracket on.  The Fox pulley is quite long so will go with any arrangement of crank/wp pulley.  That's all that I am going to drive- no steenking A/C or Power Steering.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:11:08 pm by rs899 »

Reply #10January 04, 2013, 01:17:43 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »
that spacer is not hubcentric.. the pulley will NEVER be centered.

This is a valid concern.  Unfortunately 10mm puts it out of touch with the wp hub.
In my feeble mind I don't see why I can't align it properly using a reference point ( like the crank pulley that's only 2mm or so away) and spinning/tightening until it spins true.

I'm open to being talked out of this on that basis alone if it is truly a horrible idea.

Once again, wrt the alternator, I am starting from a clean sheet of paper.

I am going to mount a plate over the wp housing using the 4 bolts.  Then locate a block on that to mount the Fox bracket on.  The Fox pulley is quite long so will go with any arrangement of crank/wp pulley.  That's all that I am going to drive- no steenking A/C or Power Steering.

ALL VW alt pulleys are long yo..

why not just get a set of proper pulleys so you dont have to bastardize every single piece of the install?

i really disagree with your spacer, and your plate to relocate the alt bracket..

you are really over-complicating things! the proper pulleys, and everything would bolt right up.. even the alternator on the stock fox bracket..

Reply #11January 04, 2013, 01:24:14 pm

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:24:14 pm »
you are really over-complicating things! the proper pulleys, and everything would bolt right up.. even the alternator on the stock fox bracket..

I hear you on the wp pulley.  I'm not sold on what I have done there so far.

So,  how's the Fox bracket going to mount up?  I don't see any holes on the diesel block.  I am going to HAVE to bastardize that bit unless I have a non - AC diesel bracket

Reply #12January 04, 2013, 01:56:58 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:56:58 pm »

I hear you on the wp pulley.  I'm not sold on what I have done there so far.

So,  how's the Fox bracket going to mount up?  I don't see any holes on the diesel block.  I am going to HAVE to bastardize that bit unless I have a non - AC diesel bracket

how are there no holes to mount it? it should mount to the water pump bolts, like any other VW alt bracket..

unless you have a Quantum alternator bracket, witch mounts to the back side of the engine..

gas or diesel, ALL VW ENGINES of the same generation, have the same mounting locations..

the OLD 1.5 diesels were lacking a few mounting bosses tho..

the alt bracket SHOULD bolt on over the water pump, with the bolts for the water pump..

post a pic of the bracket you have..

Reply #13January 04, 2013, 02:44:33 pm

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »

Here's the Fox bracket living happily on the gasser  (JH) block.  Fox alternator below.
It just a dingus of a little bracket- not what you were thinking, huh?

Here's where it magically needs to go on my early 1.6 IDI.  Notice the IP is where the gasser holes would be.

These are the other pulleys I have.  The top one is a MK2 crank (that will probably complicate things, plus I may need it elesewhere).  The bottom 2 are the , I think, matched set of early 1.6 I have, for 40mm wp.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:51:46 pm by rs899 »

Reply #14January 04, 2013, 04:25:50 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »
wow, totally forgot about that.. the gasser bracket mounts where the injection pump brkt is bolted to the block.

i dont think that bracket is gonna do the trick tho, because the diesel alternator is low mounted, and tensioned from below.

the gasser alt is high mounted, and tensions from the top..

and i would get a 30m w/p pulley, because you likely will have a tough time finding a 40mm unit.. they are getting somewhat scarce because they are SOO OLD..

S-PAutomotive.com