Author Topic: researching ideas for brackets and alternator for non AC  (Read 20901 times)

Reply #30December 18, 2012, 06:55:02 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

Re: researching ideas for brackets and alternator for non AC
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:02 pm »
Looks good, but I don't see a jam nut on the turnbuckle. What's to keep it from self adjusting through vibration?

-Todd

Reply #31December 18, 2012, 07:13:51 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 07:13:51 pm »
Looks good, but I don't see a jam nut on the turnbuckle. What's to keep it from self adjusting through vibration?

-Todd

Do turnbuckles self adjust? themans53, did you use a jam nut? I can add one easy enough.

Reply #32December 18, 2012, 08:20:08 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »
jamb nut is pretty important, unless you feel like re-adjusting your alt every few days..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #33December 18, 2012, 08:25:18 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »
I had jam nuts on mine. You can see them in the first pic. I also used washers underneath. Sadly, I forgot to tighten them and found after IDK somewhere around 25,000 miles *when I was putting the IC in* that they were loose. I never had to readjust the alt though. I snugged up those jam nuts and ran it until the engine blew right at 40,000 total miles, again with no adjustment to the turnbuckle.

Reply #34December 20, 2012, 11:21:27 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:21:27 am »
I removed the alternator adjust bracket and AC compressor from my 92 Eco. Not a fun job since a lot of bolts are hidden. That's gotta be on the top of my list for bad design!

Anyway the new belt drive/ adjust system is in and seems to be OK, I won't know for sure till I put some miles on it. Adjusting belt tension is simple in comparison. Another thing I notice is the battery light goes off immediately upon engine start. That has never happened before IIRCC. This  says the old belt sysstem was slipping at every engine start which is not a good thing (belt glaze and wear). No wonder it required constant adjustment till it runs out of adjustment and then a new belt.

Changing the alternator belt is now a 10 minute job instead of a few hours. I would like to have working AC someday if I can come up with a belt system that won't slip, easy to adjust and change. Until then, this is a big relief not having anymore alternator belt problems.

Reply #35December 20, 2012, 11:52:00 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 11:52:00 am »
I had jam nuts on mine. You can see them in the first pic. I also used washers underneath. Sadly, I forgot to tighten them and found after IDK somewhere around 25,000 miles *when I was putting the IC in* that they were loose. I never had to readjust the alt though. I snugged up those jam nuts and ran it until the engine blew right at 40,000 total miles, again with no adjustment to the turnbuckle.

So you had jam nuts but did not tighten them and it did not self adjust itself loose in 25k miles?

Reply #36December 20, 2012, 06:59:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:58 pm »
Yes, I had them, but I forgot to tighten them. I saw my washers sitting there with no nut on them and got to thinking back almost a year and remembered then I was going to and never did. It did not only not loosen in 25,000 I did tighten them up without retensioning the turnbuckle and it went to 40,000 when the engine ate the precup.

Reply #37December 20, 2012, 10:20:30 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 10:20:30 pm »
Yes, I had them, but I forgot to tighten them. I saw my washers sitting there with no nut on them and got to thinking back almost a year and remembered then I was going to and never did. It did not only not loosen in 25,000 I did tighten them up without retensioning the turnbuckle and it went to 40,000 when the engine ate the precup.

Your experience indicate that jam nuts are not really necessary, at least in this application. My turnbuckle came without jam nuts as bought. Maybe with a left hand and a right hand thread in a turnbuckle, it does not self adjust?

I had no room to add jam nuts on mine since I had it maxed to the shortest length in order to install it. I marked the hex with a dab of paint so I can see easily if it adjusted itself. If it moves, I can always add a dab of epoxy.

Reply #38December 20, 2012, 11:15:25 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:25 pm »
I guess if you keep your eye on it you'll be fine.

I know for a fact that my set up would always self adjust but maybe it was because I was using an actual rod link set up (both right and left threads) or the fact that mine adjusted from the top.  Who knows.

-Todd

Reply #39December 21, 2012, 12:00:21 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 12:00:21 am »
Todd, When yours self adjusted, did it tighten or loosen the belt?

Reply #40December 21, 2012, 12:13:08 am

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 12:13:08 am »
Loosen.

-Todd

Reply #41December 22, 2012, 02:24:43 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »
Loosen.

-Todd

thats what i was thinking..

actual turn buckles will self adjust with those vibrations..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #42December 23, 2012, 12:10:14 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »
I've got a couple of hundred miles on it and it's doing fine. Belt hasn't loosened and no flops.  One good way to tell if your belt tension is tight enough is: the fan should not be able to be turned by hand relative to the pulley. If it turns, it is slipping.

When I started this project, I started grinding both the alternator and the AC bracket (on my spare Eco engine) for mock-up. Now that I am done, I now realize that no grinding is necessary unless you want to use the stock 13 x 947 AC belt (which I am not sure if it is possible without taking too much metal off). Just use a longer belt!

Fatmobile, what was your reason to do all that grinding?

Reply #43December 24, 2012, 02:24:15 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 02:24:15 am »
I've got a couple of hundred miles on it and it's doing fine. Belt hasn't loosened and no flops.  One good way to tell if your belt tension is tight enough is: the fan should not be able to be turned by hand relative to the pulley. If it turns, it is slipping.

When I started this project, I started grinding both the alternator and the AC bracket (on my spare Eco engine) for mock-up. Now that I am done, I now realize that no grinding is necessary unless you want to use the stock 13 x 947 AC belt (which I am not sure if it is possible without taking too much metal off). Just use a longer belt!

at some point in time on the hillbilly forum I remember it being to use the shortest belt possible. I used a gates 13x965 I think those gates belts are beastly I doubt one would ever wear out one of these setups if it was always tightened up and kept up with.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #44December 24, 2012, 01:04:50 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 01:04:50 pm »

at some point in time on the hillbilly forum I remember it being to use the shortest belt possible. I used a gates 13x965 I think those gates belts are beastly I doubt one would ever wear out one of these setups if it was always tightened up and kept up with.

most VW pulleys are 10mm tho..

13mm belt in a 10mm pulley is less than stellar..

S-PAutomotive.com