Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: How much boost pressure should my 1.6 TD have?  (Read 12898 times)

Reply #30December 07, 2012, 09:35:21 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
Re: How much boost pressure should my 1.6 TD have?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 09:35:21 am »
Hi
I got it on ebay. It looks new but it was advertised as vintage. The name on it (and the price) made me just have to have this one. I installed it on my 300D and thought that I would like to see it on my vw too. So I moved it. It is attached with industrial velcro I am probably going to need a second unit.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #31December 07, 2012, 10:56:52 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Re: How much boost pressure should my 1.6 TD have?
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 10:56:52 am »
My gauge was about $15 at Princess Auto... Same type as the one above though a different make. Mine can light up in about 6 different colours should I ever want it to do such a thing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #32December 07, 2012, 10:55:20 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 10:55:20 pm »
For your" lag" issue,thats fueling.
someone post the pump tuning link
you want to adjust your" starwheel",turn it clockwise.mark it and count your turns.start with one :)
note you will see more smoke on spoolup,or when you hit the throttle before the boost comes on.but it will spool faster.keep adjusting till ya like the haze and response.
every time i turned in the" smoke screw"it killed mileage.
you can also turn the diaphram/fuel pin for more fuel...mark this item so you can put it back,because you usually gotta remove it to adjust the starwheel.
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #33December 07, 2012, 11:20:04 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 11:20:04 pm »
Hi Hill
That makes sense. Boost comes from heat and heat comes from combustion. I am getting over 50 mpg and sacrificing it for more power makes me wonder. I guess if I don't use the power It probably doesn't hurt.

I think after I saw the comment on needing more fueling after researching the comment here. I don't really like the idea of digging in the the IP. It has been running since new.

Reply #34December 09, 2012, 05:31:38 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 05:31:38 pm »
Opening the top of the IP to make star wheel or boost pin adjustments will not screw anything up internally. There is no fuel up there or anything to affect the pump internals.

All you will do with that is change how boost affects when the fueling comes on (star-wheel down equals less spring pressure), and how much you limit the fueling on boost (position of the boost pins slope).

Reply #35December 09, 2012, 05:40:48 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 05:40:48 pm »
Opening the top of the IP to make star wheel or boost pin adjustments will not screw anything up internally. There is no fuel up there or anything to affect the pump internals.

All you will do with that is change how boost affects when the fueling comes on (star-wheel down equals less spring pressure), and how much you limit the fueling on boost (position of the boost pins slope).

Ok so turn starwheel down boost fueling sooner. steeper pin setting more fuel sooner?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #36December 09, 2012, 05:47:28 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 05:47:28 pm »
Ok so turn starwheel down boost fueling sooner. steeper pin setting more fuel sooner?

Yes, and Yes.

The star-wheel decreases (down) or increases (up) the amount of spring tension on the boost pin wanting to be pushed down by boost pressure.

The boost pins slope, is the same slope all the way around so it will still come on in the same linear manner as before.. but the slop is an off centered cone, thus allowing less fuel restriction and eventually more fuel at the end of the boost pin because it alows the limiter pin to stick out further.

Turning in the small screw on top of the lid (as we have discussed before, bbob) changes pre-boost fueling. By pushing the boost pin down before the boost does it, allows the limiter pin to stick out further and thus fuel more before boost picks up to push the diaphragm down.

Reply #37December 09, 2012, 05:52:33 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 05:52:33 pm »
So theoretically i could have set so its a dog without boost but if i go heavy on the pedal it quickly transforms into something more powerful?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #38December 09, 2012, 05:54:24 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »
The Bosch VE pump like the one that came on the Volkswagen 1.6 Turbo Diesel, is virtually infinitely adjustable.

I go balls to the walls on all my pumps, want less power? Give less pedal ;).

Reply #39December 09, 2012, 08:23:49 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 08:23:49 pm »
The Bosch VE pump like the one that came on the Volkswagen 1.6 Turbo Diesel, is virtually infinitely adjustable.

I go balls to the walls on all my pumps, want less power? Give less pedal ;).

never understood why you WOULDNT adjust your pump for max power? its not like it kills your mileage.. your right foot being at the floor \more often, from the increased power, is what kills the mileage..

less power/better economy = less pedal
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #40December 09, 2012, 09:08:15 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 09:08:15 pm »
I have swapped the radio to below the dash board. I want to make room in the space once occupied by the radio. It looks like I should have room for at least 3 gauges in the original space occupied by the radio.

Guess I should fill the hole in.

Previously I had removed  the center console,

To be honest the radio was aftermarket and had a lot of glare off the digital display. Having it down is much better for night driving.

It would be nice to have increased fueling on demand rather than just waiting for the turbo to build. I doubt if I would use it but who knows.

Reply #41December 09, 2012, 10:10:48 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 10:10:48 pm »
It would be nice to have increased fueling on demand rather than just waiting for the turbo to build. I doubt if I would use it but who knows.

Adjust for it, you don't actually use any extra fueling unless you put your foot in to it more. This is why all these big power diesels still can maintain the same if not more mileage ;).

Reply #42December 13, 2012, 01:35:53 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »
I see so many extensive projects and I just try and keep my car together.

Here is my latest iteration of my dashboard modification that allows for mounting of my boost gauge and two other gauges that have not been purchased yet.

I have used a piece of vinyl flooring. They are kind of a dense closed cell foam. Some of the deluxe patterns are about 1/8" thick and easy to cut with a razer blade. I have used some vinyl from an eyeglass case and it works too but is not as structural. Many places will give you samples that are about 3x the size that you need to fit it in.  We installed some floor and this was a sample.

I think some 2" PVC pipe might be used cutting very thin wedges to angle the gauge. A bit of black paint.

I am going to make a mini console to box in the radio.

Reply #43December 13, 2012, 03:27:45 pm

justiz00

• Junior

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 03:27:45 pm »
Here is where I had my oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage gauges when the radio was in the glovebox. The dash had already been cut by the PO. They are now in a GTI console and an old 2-shaft radio back in the dash.

Reply #44December 13, 2012, 04:10:28 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »
they actually make a plate for that i have one in my mk1 jetta, except i put it where the ash tray/center air vents normally are.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Fixmyvw.com