Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: building first TD. newb needs direction  (Read 3717 times)

Reply #15December 05, 2009, 04:53:29 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: building first TD. newb needs direction
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »
They aren't BOVs as much as they are "over boost protectors" or fun limiters, whichever you prefer ;) The open up around 12??? psi and bleed off your precious boost.

A NA pump can put out the same amount of fuel as a TD pump (I think) The difference is that with a NA pump turned up for 20 psi when you put your foot to the floor it will be giving you 20 psi worth of fuel which will be smokey and hot. Now if you have a TD pump properly turned up for 20 psi when you put your foot down it will only give you as much fuel as you need (plus or minus a bit). As the boost builds the LDA tells the pump that it is ok to inject more fuel so it does, as long as your foot is still down. This is all done mechanically.

You could drive the 20 psi NA pump with no smoke but rather then having the LDA limit the fueling you would have to do it with your right foot.
Tyler

Reply #16December 05, 2009, 05:04:08 pm

DieselPwr

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »
They aren't BOVs as much as they are "over boost protectors" or fun limiters, whichever you prefer ;) The open up around 12??? psi and bleed off your precious boost.

A NA pump can put out the same amount of fuel as a TD pump (I think) The difference is that with a NA pump turned up for 20 psi when you put your foot to the floor it will be giving you 20 psi worth of fuel which will be smokey and hot. Now if you have a TD pump properly turned up for 20 psi when you put your foot down it will only give you as much fuel as you need (plus or minus a bit). As the boost builds the LDA tells the pump that it is ok to inject more fuel so it does, as long as your foot is still down. This is all done mechanically.

You could drive the 20 psi NA pump with no smoke but rather then having the LDA limit the fueling you would have to do it with your right foot.

i only plan on running the N/A for a month at most, i'm ordering new hg and bolts in the next few days and hopefully can get a pump sent off to giles within the month, anyone know how long giles will take the reman one?

Reply #17December 05, 2009, 06:02:33 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 06:02:33 pm »
As long as we aren't busy (and I'm not sick) it will be in the shop for less then a week. Giles can send you a pump first and then you just send yours back as a core
Tyler

Reply #18December 05, 2009, 07:42:51 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 07:42:51 pm »
i think to be on the safer side and for furture plans i'll get some apr studs and a new oem HG, anyone know what the thickest offered is?

You should measure piston protrusion to get the HG thickness. Thicker/thinner isn't better. The correct thickness for the way the pistons/swirl chambers were designed is best.

S-PAutomotive.com