Author Topic: Motor mounts  (Read 5951 times)

Reply #15November 24, 2012, 03:33:25 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Motor mounts
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »
I got 45K out of the last FEQ mounts on a 1.6NA.  Wasn't in love with them but they were still functioning and not totally shot when I left the truck.  They were dirt cheap and made in China.  Tectonics Tuning sells HD rubber that might actually be sorta correct diesel mounts.  Maybe.  Not cheap.  Least for the A1 chassis.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #16November 29, 2012, 03:08:50 pm

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:08:50 pm »
Okay well I just got my new motor mount in the mail. But when i went out to install it I just found that my cv seems to be destroyed as well. I'm guessing somehow the stress of a completely disconnected rear motor mount destroyed it. I'll have to take it off to see the real damage but i can tell it's screwed up from here.  ::) I'm just going to keep replacing parts on this car till i have a brand new rabbit.

Anyway. I think I remember someone saying not to buy cheap replacement axles as that was bad news. However are there any other options? CV's seem to be just as expensive as whole half shafts. It's just the inner cv. Could it be rebuilt or replaced more cost effectively without buying some junk axle that will give me problems down the road?
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #17November 29, 2012, 05:50:46 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 05:50:46 pm »
It's a messy, annoying job, but if the joint isn't worn yes you can buy a boot kit, GKN brand preferably, and do that.
Keep the balls in there respective slots is how it's supposed to go, clean them and the races and look them over real close for
damage.  You can get away with a little but much wear and they will not last long even with new grease and boot.  The GKN joint is expensive, but
far better than anything else out there.  If I have to use a cheap axle I use Empi brand, which are still cheap crap but so far the least worst of the
cheap crap.  The really quick way is to shove new grease in and use a quick-boot that goes over the thing without removing it.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #18November 29, 2012, 09:25:55 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »
Take a look at the boot on the outer too. Check for cracking on the folds. If it is looking tired, get a whole new/reman axle.

A R&R on a whole new/reman axle takes half the time of fixing one that might be marginal on the other end anyway.

Reply #19November 30, 2012, 01:36:52 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 01:36:52 am »
Check your boots frequently, I find the crap replacement boots last about 3-4 years and I live in a relatively mild climate.

Reply #20November 30, 2012, 03:30:21 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Motor mounts
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 03:30:21 pm »
Yeah I think I'm just going to replace the whole axle. Similarly priced and upon closer inspection I think this one is physically damaged. Ive had a bit of a clunk on take off for awhile. Probably this shaft I'll post a picture after I take it out.

Best price on an empi half shaft? Rock auto has it for like 50

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

Reply #21November 30, 2012, 05:40:19 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 05:40:19 pm »
50's bout good as it gets, the Empi's are alright, I've never worn out a joint in one but mostly because the boots go every 40K or so and I get sick of changing them.
If I was going to buy a new axle for a long term car, it'd be an Empi, and I'd immediately re-boot with GKN/Loebro boots.  At least on the outside.

Look at your output flange seals too, they are cheap and not hard to do and trans leaks are annoying.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #22December 01, 2012, 10:55:53 am

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 10:55:53 am »
Hmm. If I take out the flange seals should I think about doing one of those peloquin fake LSD spring shim kits?

Reply #23December 01, 2012, 05:32:27 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 05:32:27 pm »
Look up BrokeVW's site for all the VW trans info you ever wanted, and didn't want.  He goes into great detail about revisions and why's and if's.
I think I would if I had the money and time, but that's just me.  I actually have a trans so early in my 82 now it does not have any springs at all on the flanges.
I have a pair of NOS 100mm output shaft flanges laying around, but they are not the latest revision that are heat treated more/better I don't believe.
I can't see ever breaking 90's with even a stockish turbo 1.9L, so in my parts bag they sit.. 
Mentat Text Two

Reply #24December 02, 2012, 10:41:37 pm

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 10:41:37 pm »
Great info thanks a ton! Yeah I'm really not sure how this axle broke... I wouldn't think my little n/a would ever have that kind of problem ... I would guess wrong.

Reply #25December 02, 2012, 11:09:50 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:50 pm »
Odds are it was a ***ty aftermarket one or if not it got a lot of dirt in it and was ground into junk.
You can visibly see the difference in good German joints heat treating and the aftermarket ones.
Not to mention as was mentioned all the aftermarket boots are of a limited lifespan.
My 81 got about 150K on the OG boots from new, re-booted cleaned and regreased with GKN and the joints went another 150K
or therebouts it seems like.  It was on the order of decades to wear out a set of German joints, IF they are kept cleaned and lubed.
It is a matter of principle that I all but refuse to pay money for aftermaket junk in this case, I'll use old used German one's first, I have
more faith in them.  My 82 has 400K on it and what I believe to be original joints that I re-booted cleaned inspected and lubed recently.
Three out of four show a little wear on one ball/race, but I still trust them more than an aftermarket set.  I'm stuck with a budget just like anyone else
and didn't have $300+ for four new German joints, so back in they went with new grease and boots.  I guess if you don't drive a lot it's less of an issue.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #26December 04, 2012, 01:00:46 am

shorttimer

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 01:00:46 am »
I don't consider $30/pair+ free shipping expensive for quality.

Reply #27December 04, 2012, 05:35:51 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 05:35:51 am »
I don't consider $30/pair+ free shipping expensive for quality.

Nor do I.  If you are talking about GKN boot kits they are around for less than that.
I'm also waiting for the day when I buy one or a joint and see Pc on it.
At that point I may well go buy a Honda.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #28December 04, 2012, 01:33:14 pm

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 01:33:14 pm »
Yeah I wish I could get away with rebooting. So you think it would be a better bet to try and find a junkyard axle than put empi axles on?

Reply #29December 04, 2012, 09:52:00 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:00 pm »
Yeah I wish I could get away with rebooting. So you think it would be a better bet to try and find a junkyard axle than put empi axles on?

It's a nasty PITA to try and find OG axles.  The majority have been swapped out in my experience.
GKN joints are stamped as such on them, on the outer part, but it's hard to see in a car.
It's preferable, no doubt.  Maybe put up a WTB add on vortex.  If your EMPI weren't showing wear I'd
say boot them and go, but if they are and $$$ for new isn't an option, I'd either get filthy looking for good originals
or just buy the $50 junk for the time being and try and squirrel away twenty bucks a month or so till you can order good
new joints. 

It's a real shame, I'd pay $200 a pop for a GOOD rebuilt axle easy, but they just don't exist that I can find.  I've even talked to R-Axles
or whoever it is that has such a good rep for remaning them in the US, they don't have cores and can't do them any cheaper than
I can just buy new GKN joints myself.  Most people are at a level where an inferior product is acceptable to them on these cars, as long as
it's quick and cheap.  That's a real shame.  I treat my Caddy(s) just like I treat any Mercedes or BMW or Saab or Porsche or whatever I've owned.
My 81 rewarded me with 650K miles before I passed her on and exactly two failures that left me walking, one being a dead battery.  My 82 is at 400K and looks to be going the same route.
Mentat Text Two