Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Motor mounts  (Read 5972 times)

November 12, 2012, 08:01:42 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Motor mounts
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:42 pm »
Does anyone upgrade the motor mounts on these diesels? Or will that just rattle my teeth out? My rear motor mount just broke and I need to replace it so I thought I might use the opportunity. Any recommendations? Or just new ones?

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #1November 12, 2012, 08:26:27 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

Re: Motor mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:26:27 pm »
the only upgraded mounts will make it worse. get oem. only you could change out you k frame for a vr6 from an mk3 and change the bracket on your engine. thay may or may not rwduce vibration though.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #2November 12, 2012, 09:15:29 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15:29 pm »
Don't buy FEBI FEQ!! They are junk and will rattle your teeth out.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:21:38 pm by burn_your_money »
Tyler

Reply #3November 12, 2012, 09:46:03 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Motor mounts
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:46:03 pm »
the only upgraded mounts will make it worse. get oem. only you could change out you k frame for a vr6 from an mk3 and change the bracket on your engine. thay may or may not rwduce vibration though.

Would the vr6 kframe have a significant impact on anything or just an option? I think ill probably just go oem.

Don't buy FEBI!! They are junk and will rattle your teeth out.

Noted! I certainly don't want anything getting worse. Though my rattles aren't too bad.

Reply #4November 13, 2012, 02:43:08 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:43:08 am »
The prothane inserts are probably overkill, pretty big increase in nvh. I think next time I'll fill the mounts with some low durometer urethane myself and try that out. Is your front mount shimmed?

Reply #5November 13, 2012, 02:19:37 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »
You don't have a k-frame so don't worry about swapping that out.

I take back my FEBI comment, that's not who I used. I used FEQ
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:21:58 pm by burn_your_money »
Tyler

Reply #6November 14, 2012, 01:11:21 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Motor mounts
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
The prothane inserts are probably overkill, pretty big increase in nvh. I think next time I'll fill the mounts with some low durometer urethane myself and try that out. Is your front mount shimmed?

Uhmmm....

Nope?

Haha

Reply #7November 16, 2012, 02:37:12 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:12 am »
People make little plates and there are myriad diy options but the idea is to get the little cup that the front/snub mount sits in to be closer to the engine  or snug on the mount thus reducing the slop and tightening things up a bit.

Reply #8November 16, 2012, 12:20:02 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:20:02 pm »
People make little plates and there are myriad diy options but the idea is to get the little cup that the front/snub mount sits in to be closer to the engine  or snug on the mount thus reducing the slop and tightening things up a bit.

essentially preloading all the mounts in the engine bay. i feel like that would cause premature wear on the rear mounts

Reply #9November 17, 2012, 03:04:51 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 03:04:51 am »

essentially preloading all the mounts in the engine bay. i feel like that would cause premature wear on the rear mounts

You're probably correct in your assumption but I think it's worth it. The front and rear are inexpensive and easy to change out and I hate slop in my driveline. I'm generally a big fan of poly and solid motor and transmission mounts on most vehicles.

Reply #10November 17, 2012, 09:14:59 am

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:14:59 am »

You're probably correct in your assumption but I think it's worth it. The front and rear are inexpensive and easy to change out and I hate slop in my driveline. I'm generally a big fan of poly and solid motor and transmission mounts on most vehicles.

every tried the non hydraulic mounts in the idi's? im not concerned with comfort in my vehicle so much as i am with it rattling itself apart, its already pretty buzzy in the cabin and im amazed the plaic pieces have lasted this long.

Reply #11November 17, 2012, 12:32:54 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 12:32:54 pm »

every tried the non hydraulic mounts in the idi's? im not concerned with comfort in my vehicle so much as i am with it rattling itself apart, its already pretty buzzy in the cabin and im amazed the plaic pieces have lasted this long.
you problems will be worse.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #12November 17, 2012, 12:52:49 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 12:52:49 pm »
stock mounts it is!

Reply #13November 18, 2012, 12:52:56 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 12:52:56 am »

The OP and I are both driving mkI so I don't have any experience with hydraulic mounts.

Reply #14November 23, 2012, 12:02:01 am

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 12:02:01 am »
Don't try inserts. They just make it harsh. I have FEBI mounts on sides and rear, and some no-name mount on the front. It shakes a bit, but it doesn't feel like the car is coming apart.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

S-PAutomotive.com