S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: mtdi, vnt17, no power with boost  (Read 14749 times)

Reply #15November 05, 2012, 08:14:35 pm

• Veteran

Re: mtdi, vnt17, no power with boost
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:14:35 pm »

you will need a stronger can than a K03 unit.. mine opens WAY too soon..

you want something that is open by ~25psi, if you are running a VNT20 or VNT22/23
The k03 wastegate can work just fine and be adjusted very easily using a restriction in the line and an adjustable bleed port.  The adjustable bleed port can also be mounted in the cab to adjust on the fly.  By using a restriction in the line, very little bleeding of the line is needed to change the wastegates operation.  Not everyone wants to be running 25 psi.  18-20 would be more than enough for a mtdi in a sammy. 
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #16November 06, 2012, 01:39:59 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 01:39:59 pm »

you will need a stronger can than a K03 unit.. mine opens WAY too soon..

you want something that is open by ~25psi, if you are running a VNT20 or VNT22/23
The k03 wastegate can work just fine and be adjusted very easily using a restriction in the line and an adjustable bleed port.  The adjustable bleed port can also be mounted in the cab to adjust on the fly.  By using a restriction in the line, very little bleeding of the line is needed to change the wastegates operation.  Not everyone wants to be running 25 psi.  18-20 would be more than enough for a mtdi in a sammy. 

my setup makes 12psi, or 35psi..

with a restriction in the line, boost spikes would happen all the time..

i actually used 1/4" vacuum lines to make reaction times faster for everything..

i wish i could sustain 20psi without spikes, or 1800* egts..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17November 06, 2012, 06:24:17 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 06:24:17 pm »
I take information that 410 says as more truthful than the Bible.

I'm sure the misses will love that little bit of extra sunshine I'm blowin' eh Jean? ;)!

Reply #18November 06, 2012, 06:53:28 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 06:53:28 pm »

I'm sure the misses will love that little bit of extra sunshine I'm blowin' eh Jean? ;)!

dude, im the one running the setup tho..

how can my facts be less factual than his?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #19November 06, 2012, 08:55:34 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »
Deepmud, feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #20November 15, 2012, 02:12:58 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 02:12:58 am »
I had one in a pump that  had sat, the follower pin was stuck for the first day, and the car was miserable.
after that, it would hang for a minute, then enrich with a  cloud.

You can get to there by removing the pump top, even on the car if you can keep it clean (tinfoil hat)
Before that, you can pull the lid off the spaceship, and verify the LDA doesn't leak, and can move.
There is a tiny o ring around the follower pin, and you need to pull one of the lower  bolt looking plugs to get to it.

This is what I was hoping - that I could pull the lid without a spring shooting out, that can only be installed with the pump is completely apart :D - The LDA is dry, and moves - I cut the bejeezus of a wedge into it, but no response to boost.

I'm manually moving the VNT17 vanes closed for now- boost is great, but the power is not there - and no smoke, not even delayed, so I suppose I need to peak in there.

Lower, bolt-looking plug?
the 1.9TD/Suzuki w/big tires guy
visit Alaska @ www.alaska4x4network.com

Reply #21November 15, 2012, 02:14:39 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 02:14:39 am »
You can pull the lid, pull the boost pin and then rotate the accelerator lever to the max and the feeler pin should pop out and be visible in the channel of the boost pin.  I'd certainly check that out prior to pulling the lid.

Hmm - I don't think I'm seeing it pop out - will double check. Good simple test :D thanks.

Reply #22November 15, 2012, 02:22:07 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:07 am »
looks like an AAZ type pump - hopefully has the 10mm TDI internals...I have a pic, somewhere.....

I guess I'm hoping someone will say "oh yeah, that's the follower getting stuck, pull the top off of the pump, make sure it's clear, put it back together".......:D  .....I'm thinking of taking a peek in there soon.....
If it has an aaz top, there's a lever on the side of the pump that will shut the engine off if moved.  If you have this lever, I would pull the top of the pump off and cut the end off it.  This lever can limit max fuel delivery.  I would also put a test light on the stop solenoid to check for power when shutting the engine off.  If you're getting some power to the stop solenoid after shutting the ignition off, use a relay to isolate the circuit.  If the power is cut off completely when the ignition is cut then do as libby says and remove, clean or replace the stop solenoid.

I'm doing a Jeep liberty turbo on a TDI right now with a wastegate off a K03.  I've never tried this simple vane control but I'll let you know how it works out.  For the vnt I would run it wherever it feels the best.  Don't worry about what the gauge says.

I'm confident it gets power - you can nearly shut off the motor with the key - it goes from about 1100 (when I have the smoke screw cranked in as far as I can stand the high idle) to about 450 ish - it bucks and jumps but won't shut off.
If I turn the idle down, it will shut off. But has even less power.......so I'll pull it and clean and see what it looks like down there as well....

Reply #23November 15, 2012, 02:23:58 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 02:23:58 am »
how are you controlling the vnt manually?

As for fueling issue I would maybe try running some diesel purge through the pump as well as what the others have suggested.

BTW, if that is stock drivetrain how does it like the boggers? Are those the 35x16 size? I have some 38.5x16 TSL on my bronco and the stock ford stuff doesn't like it.

39.5 but running Toyota axles, 5.29 gears, lunchbox locker in front, Fozzy-welded rear and the clincher - Longfields in the front end.

You should see the big tires.....:D I've borrowed a set of 45" tractor tires before.....

Reply #24November 15, 2012, 02:26:53 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 02:26:53 am »
Sweet rig, and beautiful shot.

Did you put a different engine in it, or did you use the AAZ block and convert it to mTDI?
Something I'm interested in doing at some point...

Cheers!

swapped a pre-convereted TDI from a Seat in the Czech Republic, actually....but the guy I sold my 1.9td got into a wreck right after swappnig in the motor into his Land Rover, and it wouldn't die with the rig on it's side, and scragged the bearings all thru - so while getting a. new head, he went TDI on the old 1.9td, got it to work great

Reply #25November 15, 2012, 02:30:03 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 02:30:03 am »
I think you have multiple issues with the pump.  If it doesn't shut off immediately, then either current is reaching the stop solenoid or the solenoid itself is at issue.  Could be crud buildup causing it to not seal totally.  Anyway, remove it, clean it up and reinstall it.  As far as the poor performance, it's hard to say.  There's a lot that can hang up inside the pump.  Could also be timing related.  I've found that timing to 1.35-1.4 on my pumps works really well but yours isn't one of mine so I can't say for sure.  I'd jump the belt one tooth to advance it and see how it does.  Diesel purge is a great idea.  Pulling the top of the spaceship and making sure the pin can move would also be wise.

As far as the turbo control is concerned it sounds like you have a cable to control the vanes by hand.  If you just close the vanes fully at higher rpms it acts like an engine brake. 

I think you are correct on mulitple counts :D Certainly, without extra fuel, forcing the motor to make boost with closed vanes just restricts the motor . Eventually I need to put a boost controller on there that turns the vanes open at some point. The rest we'll see went I pull the top off the pump off I guess.

Reply #26November 15, 2012, 02:37:46 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 02:37:46 am »

dude, im the one running the setup tho..

how can my facts be less factual than his?

FWIW - My other motor, the 1.9td with a leetle bitty K14,  I was able to put in a bleed to the boost controller, and I could dial in 10, 12, 15, whatever I wanted (stock setting was 8psi) - did you something that you could adjust? I can't see why you are getting such a jump - 35 seems like ALL you can get from that turbo, like you just disabled the controller.

Reply #27November 15, 2012, 02:39:54 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 02:39:54 am »
Deepmud, feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.
Thanks!
I have my email notification turned on now :D that will help me respond faster - I'll get some pics of the pump, as it sits, and as I start opening it up i'll take more :D

Reply #28November 26, 2012, 05:22:15 pm

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 05:22:15 pm »
had to work on my daily driver instead but here are some pics of my pump.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:24:31 pm by deepmud »

Reply #29January 01, 2013, 10:25:57 pm

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 10:25:57 pm »

so - not as easy as I had hoped. I got the top loose - it pulled up, there was a "click" - like something is somewhere I can't put it back :( and I can't get it all the way off - I can tilt it forward - the hang-up is not that spring in the pic, it's something in the front.

Suggestions?

Fixmyvw.com