Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New to Forum and VW  (Read 8641 times)

Reply #15November 20, 2012, 07:02:53 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: New to Forum and VW
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
Well my first tank came to 37 mpg, 489.8 miles and 13.1 gallons all city stop and go driving. I filled it like the last time until you could see fuel in the filler neck(13.1 gallons) but then was able to put another gallon in it by pushing the vent button that I learned about on this forum ;D I also bought some stuff to build a 2.5 exhaust for it, I'm thinking that will get me over 40 mpg in town. That cat with 2 mufflers has got to be restrictive. Also I'm gonna have to come up with some kind of drink holder for my morning coffee, what have ya'll done for drink holders?

i use a cup/vacuum bottle with a button on it..

no liquid comes out (even when on its side or upside down) unless you push the button..

plus, the vacuum bottle keeps my coffee warm for half the day!

everyone else uses ford taurus cup holders..

and whats this button you speak of? my mk2 dont have no button in the fuel fill spout..

it did start out life as a gasser tho, maybe thats why i dont have the button.

should get better mileage as well.. mine did a pretty regular 40+mpg (closer to 45 actually) even with a close ratio GTI trans installed..

ive since installed a long ratio trans, and have not since checked my mileage.. i got 600 miles to a tank pretty religiously, even with the close ratio trans..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:07:44 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16November 20, 2012, 08:23:37 pm

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »
I wedge my travel mug between the e-brake handle and the seat.
I've never owned a car with cup-holders before, and I always seem to manage to find a place to keep my coffee.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #17November 20, 2012, 09:05:52 pm

sixb

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:52 pm »
Well my first tank came to 37 mpg, 489.8 miles and 13.1 gallons all city stop and go driving. I filled it like the last time until you could see fuel in the filler neck(13.1 gallons) but then was able to put another gallon in it by pushing the vent button that I learned about on this forum ;D I also bought some stuff to build a 2.5 exhaust for it, I'm thinking that will get me over 40 mpg in town. That cat with 2 mufflers has got to be restrictive. Also I'm gonna have to come up with some kind of drink holder for my morning coffee, what have ya'll done for drink holders?

i use a cup/vacuum bottle with a button on it..

no liquid comes out (even when on its side or upside down) unless you push the button..

plus, the vacuum bottle keeps my coffee warm for half the day!

everyone else uses ford taurus cup holders..

and whats this button you speak of? my mk2 dont have no button in the fuel fill spout..

it did start out life as a gasser tho, maybe thats why i dont have the button.

should get better mileage as well.. mine did a pretty regular 40+mpg (closer to 45 actually) even with a close ratio GTI trans installed..

ive since installed a long ratio trans, and have not since checked my mileage.. i got 600 miles to a tank pretty religiously, even with the close ratio trans..

The button/lever is in the filler neck to the left.
I do hope I can get in the 40s city driving. I live at 4500 ft and all my driving is 3 to 10 mile trips with lots of lights and traffic so I'm happy with 37 also my speedo is fast, speedo says 40 gps says 37 not sure if that really affects my mpg calc. by much. The exhaust looks original and if so that's a lot of soot going through that cat over the years, so I'm really hoping for some improvement with that mod. I can't believe there are 2 mufflers under there to ??? just seems like a ton of restriction to me.
David
1991 Eco-Diesel

Reply #18November 20, 2012, 10:34:18 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:18 pm »
Just delete the cat with a straight piece of pipe.  Leave the mufflers alone.  Two exits are half the flow to each side.  Less restrictive not more. 

If you use the GPS to figure out the difference between speeds than you should be able to run with it for a while to determine if the odometer is off as well.  Generally that is the case.  GPS says 37 and speedo, Not the suit, says 40  40/37= 1.08 or 8% off.  If the odometer is the same then you are figuring more miles for mpg than you actually drove.  100 miles would actually be 92. 

I have mine dialed in and it is 6.372% off.  Roughly 6 more miles on a 100.  So when I calc the mpg I have to add to the odometer ones. Then divide by the gallons to get it correctly. 

My coffee holder is my hand or between the Ebrake and Passenger seat.  Find the right insulated cup and it fits just fine.   8)

Reply #19November 21, 2012, 10:50:07 am

sixb

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 10:50:07 am »
Just delete the cat with a straight piece of pipe.  Leave the mufflers alone.  Two exits are half the flow to each side.  Less restrictive not more. 

If you use the GPS to figure out the difference between speeds than you should be able to run with it for a while to determine if the odometer is off as well.  Generally that is the case.  GPS says 37 and speedo, Not the suit, says 40  40/37= 1.08 or 8% off.  If the odometer is the same then you are figuring more miles for mpg than you actually drove.  100 miles would actually be 92. 

I have mine dialed in and it is 6.372% off.  Roughly 6 more miles on a 100.  So when I calc the mpg I have to add to the odometer ones. Then divide by the gallons to get it correctly. 

My coffee holder is my hand or between the Ebrake and Passenger seat.  Find the right insulated cup and it fits just fine.   8)

Thanks, for the info.
The exhaust has only one tail pipe with both mufflers inline.
David
1991 Eco-Diesel

Reply #20November 21, 2012, 12:56:08 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
nice car, definitely can get better mileage, delete the cat, and the muffler; it was the first thing i did to my ECO and i saw almost immediate gains. I also saw mileage gains by INCREASING my max fuel screw (i dont know if this is because its the even more underpowered ECO pump or not) also im running an ACN transmission and it will net way better mileage than the AVX. you will definitely enjoy your new toy  ;D

Reply #21November 21, 2012, 01:21:57 pm

DanV990

• User+

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 01:21:57 pm »
Here is a photo of the vent in the filler neck of my 1992 ECOdiesel.

Reply #22November 21, 2012, 01:23:39 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 01:23:39 pm »
Wait a minute?  Inline mufflers?  One pipe?  Ecodiesel?  Something isn't adding up here with the cat in line.  On the diesel isn't it a resonator that is in there first and then at the end of the line a muffler.  All run through a skinny straw line exhaust pipe?  

Maybe a picture of the system will clarify.  I thought you had the gas motor until I went back to the pictures initially posted and see the engine bay.  

Not sure what to say now.  

Reply #23November 21, 2012, 01:32:43 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:43 pm »
Wait a minute?  Inline mufflers?  One pipe?  Ecodiesel?  Something isn't adding up here with the cat in line.  On the diesel isn't it a resonator that is in there first and then at the end of the line a muffler.  All run through a skinny straw line exhaust pipe?  

Maybe a picture of the system will clarify.  I thought you had the gas motor until I went back to the pictures initially posted and see the engine bay.  

Not sure what to say now.  

yep inline, what else can it be? on my 92 eco, down pipe /cat one piece, resonator, then muffler. 1.75" i.d. throughout. I believe my 81 N/A caddy exhaust is 1.5" i.d.

Reply #24November 21, 2012, 02:06:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »
everything is in a series on a VW.. there is only one exhaust stream..

the center muffler is NOT a muffler, but a resonator..

the muffler is at the end of the system..

the resonator shouldnt be nearly as restrictive as the cat or muffler tho.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #25November 24, 2012, 05:27:04 pm

Dirtrag2

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »
Also I'm gonna have to come up with some kind of drink holder for my morning coffee, what have ya'll done for drink holders?

welcome aborad! sweet mkII and sweeter choice on the new wheels!

there was a thread on cup holders some time ago... IIRC there was some cool and crazy solutions for cup holders you should find it with the search feature tho...
...Darcy
'97 Jetta 1.9TD ( dirtrag2 )
'88 Fox Wagon ( projekt Dirtrag 3 )

Reply #26February 27, 2013, 02:14:38 pm

sixb

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 02:14:38 pm »
I have put a little over 5000 miles on it since buying the car.
I'm averaging about 35/36 mpg all city stop and go driving.
I've had it on one road trip and got a best of 41 mpg.
The only problems so far was the driver side glass fell out of the door mirror but didn't break.
The car wont start when it gets near zero degrees but is fine in the teens. I can't plug it in.
Still happy with the car and looking forward to warmer weather so I can do the exhaust and a brake job.
David
1991 Eco-Diesel

Reply #27February 27, 2013, 04:55:33 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »
Great find! I have the EXACT same car. 91 Jetta Eco Diesel Ascot Grey Metallic is the paint. I have had a ton of fun fixing and modifying this little car.

Since I have gotten it I have gone straight pipe with the exhaust from the downpipe. It dumps driverside right in front of the rear tire. No clamps, no resonator, no muffler, just a pleasantly loud bark with a hint of whistle from the turbo. I LOVE driving around with the windows down, radio off. Its only loud when you jump on the go pedal.

As for the AC issue, you may wanna try adjusting the idle a little higher. The AC is causing the car to shake because its lowering the RPM with the drag on the motor it creates. If you dont wanna fiddle with the idle you could always just pull the cold start advance when youre driving with the AC on. It did the trick for me until I started fooling around with the fuel screw and idle.

I am curious if you have the same transmission I had. It was TERRIBLE for interstate driving, and I switched it out with an ASF I got out of a gasser 8V. Would you be so kind as to looking under the car from the front, and reading the little code on the flat part of the tranny, and share your findings?

Again really sweet find. This community is awesome for getting help. Just make sure you use the search feature before asking, SO MUCH stuff has been talked about and re-talked about in this forum. Pleasantly enough, no on has issues with you bringing back an old thread from the dead if something about it still left you with questions.

A pic of my 91...

Reply #28February 27, 2013, 06:20:57 pm

sixb

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 06:20:57 pm »
dieselbalz I will look at the code but will have to wait for warmer weather, probably be a few weeks at least.
David
1991 Eco-Diesel

Reply #29February 27, 2013, 09:26:30 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:30 pm »
And not to hijack your thread, but another sot of the car where you can see the side exhaust, and a video to hear how it sounds straight pipe.

http://youtu.be/FNdMjLiDYd4

Fixmyvw.com