Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: b3 passat wagon 16v to MTDI swap *Glow plug wiring time*  (Read 31658 times)

Reply #30October 28, 2012, 06:45:14 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

Re: b3 passat wagon 16v to MTDI swap.
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 06:45:14 pm »
Are the ALH block off plates for e.g.r. the same as the ones for the 1z?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #31October 28, 2012, 08:14:51 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »
I'd drop it into the shell and bolt down the 3 motor mounts before firing it up on the floor. No need to hook up axles and wiring and all that if you just want to hear it run before investing hours into the swap.
Tyler

Reply #32October 28, 2012, 08:48:51 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 08:48:51 pm »
I'd drop it into the shell and bolt down the 3 motor mounts before firing it up on the floor. No need to hook up axles and wiring and all that if you just want to hear it run before investing hours into the swap.

x2
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #33October 29, 2012, 05:55:02 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 05:55:02 pm »
Well I just found out this passat I'm buying is an autotrajic. The engine and trans will be gonecwhen I get it. I will def be going manual clutch cable now. What all extra crap will have to take out since its an auto? Other things I will/ wont have to do???
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #34October 29, 2012, 05:57:39 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »
Well I just found out this passat I'm buying is an autotrajic. The engine and trans will be gonecwhen I get it. I will def be going manual clutch cable now. What all extra crap will have to take out since its an auto? Other things I will/ wont have to do???

ive been driving cable clutches my whole life..

recently changed over to hydro clutch, and OH BOY, its SOO FRIGGEN NICE..

if i were you, i would just add the hydraulic clutch and all the good stuff to it..

you wont regret the smooth feel of the hydro clutch.. its SOO NICE!

02A cable operated trannies are harder to come by anyways.. and Eurovan clutch cables are STUPID EXPENSIVE..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #35October 29, 2012, 06:22:43 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 06:22:43 pm »

if i were you, i would just add the hydraulic clutch and all the good stuff to it..

02A cable operated trannies are harder to come by anyways.. and Eurovan clutch cables are STUPID EXPENSIVE..

so for that id need.
1.clutch slave cylinder
2. master cylinder
3. pedal cluster
4. lines?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #36October 29, 2012, 06:26:58 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »

so for that id need.
1.clutch slave cylinder
2. master cylinder
3. pedal cluster
4. lines?

its still a rather large conversion to go to cable clutch, because you have to find the actual cable that fits the 02A
then you have to find all the rest of the cable clutch setup..

its gonna be a swap, no matter what, so why not go for the nicer clutch setup?

Reply #37October 29, 2012, 09:10:06 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:06 pm »
all I think with hydro clutch is those times id get in a friends car they push in the clutch and womp womp pedal to the floor. looks like we are walking today kids. happened once or twice.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #38October 29, 2012, 09:19:09 pm

Big Daddy Roth

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »
Change the evaporator under the dash to a 93-95 corrado/passat unit (mk3 apparently is different). You can use the AC lines and dryer from a 93 or latter passat. Make sure for the dryer to condenser line you stick with the B3 line. You need the later expansion valve as well.

You can use the intercooler and some pipes from a G60 syncro B3. A B4 TDI intercooler and all the pipes will also bolt in, but the front 'baffle' won't work with the B3 bumper.

There is no harm in using the 16V in tank unit the way it is. Just put keyed power to the pump. Don't try to pull fuel through a non-running lift pump, you will hurt the injection pump. A TDI unit from a B4 is also an option.

Glow plugs. If you can get your hands on an engine harness from a TD B3/B4, the glow plug module is part of that harness. Change the fuel pump relay in the fuse panel to a glow plug relay.

Use a diesel Eurovan or B3 cluster. You need the correct tach. Tach signal will come from the W plug on the alt.

1993 TD B3 Sedan
1992 G60 Syncro B3 Sedan

Reply #39October 29, 2012, 09:57:49 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 09:57:49 pm »

You can use the intercooler and some pipes from a G60 syncro B3. A B4 TDI intercooler and all the pipes will also bolt in, but the front 'baffle' won't work with the B3 bumper.

sounds tough to find and expensive. thanks for the idea on the other stuff!!
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #40October 29, 2012, 10:33:00 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:00 pm »
well the guy you wanna talk too... crazy andy for the following parts...

shifter, boot, knob, clutch master/slave/lines.. i cannot say i trust them 100% but he has those parts and they fit passat aka shifter/boot/knob.. came from a b3... line-master-slave is cores/pieces..

sadly no pedals... i kept those for a vr6 swap in mk2...

i do not trust any them transfer pumps.. or the ait leak at the spring loaded squishy area..

i myself agree on hydro clutch.. when it screws you it hurts... but vs a cable so nice...

im not going back to see where this thread balloned up.. so hit me with pm on anything i missed...

Reply #41October 30, 2012, 02:24:50 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »
now that I have this engine I got tons of questions.

why 2 oil sensors?
crank sensor what should I do with that?
three post coolant sensor on end of the head? swap it for plastic one with proper temp sensor?
does this engine use the same kind of vac pump as a 1.6? looks the same to me. I need one the fitting is broke off mine.
#3 injector what's up with that sensor? should I get a regular injector since its gonna be mtdi?
What's up with this glowplug rail? are they all ***ty and cracked like this?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:45:22 am by bbob203 »
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #42October 30, 2012, 04:32:53 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 04:32:53 pm »
Two oil sensors are for the dynamic oil pressure warning system.  One reads at idle, the other above 2,000 rpms.

I've been planning to use the crank sensor (4 pulses per rev) and a flip flop to cut it in half in order to drive a tach on my mTDI, but haven't gotten a round toit.

Are you talking about the flange with the three coolant glow plugs?  I've considered wiring them to come on when the heater fan gets turned on high but again need to get a round toit.

Vac pump is different.  It's functionally the same, but the part that enters the block is larger and the o-ring is in a different position.  The AAZ pump is the same, tho.  I have fixed then by adding a check valve and barb nipple.

Check for continuity/resistance in the glow plug rail and if it's decent, use it.  These usually don't even need the glow plugs. 

Reply #43October 30, 2012, 04:40:17 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »
Two oil sensors are for the dynamic oil pressure warning system.  One reads at idle, the other above 2,000 rpms.

I've been planning to use the crank sensor (4 pulses per rev) and a flip flop to cut it in half in order to drive a tach on my mTDI, but haven't gotten a round toit.

Are you talking about the flange with the three coolant glow plugs?  I've considered wiring them to come on when the heater fan gets turned on high but again need to get a round toit.

Vac pump is different.  It's functionally the same, but the part that enters the block is larger and the o-ring is in a different position.  The AAZ pump is the same, tho.  I have fixed then by adding a check valve and barb nipple.

Check for continuity/resistance in the glow plug rail and if it's decent, use it.  These usually don't even need the glow plugs. 

ive fixed them by just threading the plastic left where the old nipple was, and adding a barbed fitting..

there is a check valve at the brake booster, and one in the vac distribution manifold.. i didnt see a need for a 3rd check valve in a hose that runs roughly 14"

Reply #44October 31, 2012, 01:42:38 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 01:42:38 am »
plastic neck... you got to be kiddin me willis... aluminum 100% better... they do not break like plastic does..

libby ive always thought of running the glow plugs via 2 switches...

why.. ~15amp per pug...

if you wire it in 2 switches, you have a option of 1, then 2.. both = 3... think of it as some, more and max

ive thought bout adding the neck to my winter beater diesel for long time.. but 2 winters ago i moved so close to work i walk now...  and that was the winter i got my tdi set up and saw i could add one to a old idi.. but wondered/pondered it for years before...

Fixmyvw.com