Author Topic: 1.6 TD questions  (Read 2066 times)

October 09, 2012, 12:38:03 pm

meanvw

• User+

1.6 TD questions
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »
So I have a leaky injection pump and kind of looking at my options.  This brought up some questions that I'd like you all to sound off on.

Set up I've been running 50,000 miles now since
Rebuild:
1983 rabbit, 1.6 quantum td bottom end with turbo pistons and squirters.  Mechanical head.  Intake, exhaust , turbo off a 92 Eco diesel.  1.5l injectors.  NA pump 068 130 109.  Timing at .95.

Car gets 45-47mpg average.  I can get 52-55 if I baby it, keep speed down and follow trucks.  I have verified speedo and odometer to be accurate with GPS.
Car has good power, I drove it awhile na before I got turbo stuff.  Definately good acceleration and pulls good up hills.

Pump leaking a little out the back, maybe cold start lever.  Lever pretty hard to move unless car is running.  Seems like some times car will run 1 click hotter on temp gauge (right in the middle) and when I notice it, pulling the cold start lever in and out will seem to make it run cooler right away and would seem to have a tad more power.  Makes me think advance inside pump is messed up.

I am trying to decide between 3 options:
Talked to giles and he's got a true turbo super pump.  I would need to get turbo injection lines-parts place has them, and Giles also says I need injectors with higher pop.  So all in total something like $1500 range and I suspect I'd be set and super happy with everything but my bank account.

Option 2 is get rebuilt na pump from local mwfi.com for $450, and just keep rollin.

Option 3 is to find my leak, seal it , and try to trouble shoot my perceived issue with the advance.

Any thoughts on my set up, other options, other questions or stuff for me to consider.

Reply #1October 09, 2012, 12:39:12 pm

meanvw

• User+

Re: 1.6 TD questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »
By the way, goal for the car is fun commuting.  I do 160 miles of mostly highway driving 5 days a week.

Reply #2October 09, 2012, 01:06:02 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:06:02 pm »
#3 is best. Once you tear down a pump a couple times, resealing is easy. Plus you learn more about your own car and can start making more fine tuning and power adjustments. Sounds like your cold start lever bushing is stuck. Just make sure to get a real Bosch reseal kit.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #3October 09, 2012, 07:39:48 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:39:48 pm »
I got my first vw like 3 years ago and I had a great running jetta but the pump started to leak a week after I put it back on the road.  For money reasons I experimented on a spare pump first and found its not really a big deal.  There is a guy on ebay that sells seal kits for pretty cheap shipped to your door.  And another guy has a video on dismantling, assembly and tool tips.

The key is a very clean organized work area and the ability to possibly make a few custom tools to take some things apart depending on your pump style.  My pump was working good but had a wobbly mainshaft so I swapped the bottom end but that is all I looked out for and obvious wear inside the pump.

A vice I would consider a must so it can be your third hand to hold the pump during a few certain steps.  So parts don't go flying all over the place.

If it were me I would spend the $60 or so and do it.  But I wouldn't suggest doing it if you need the car back on the road the next day.  In reality its a one day job to pull the pump, take apart to clean and reseal and put back on car and retime, but the first time may take longer and its no fun if you have to drive the car soon.

Also there are certain parts to mark, again why I liked the video over pictures.  I cleaned the outside of my pump first and used nail polish and even took pictures but in the end it make sense and was rather easy to do.

I think the hardest part on mine was having to grind an extra socket down a bit to undo the governor arm triangle type bolts.  I think they sell a socket for that so I would buy it before hand.
1985 turbo diesel jetta