Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: FS- 1986 Jetta 1.6 NA, $1500 OBO  (Read 4649 times)

May 04, 2013, 02:36:18 pm

JBG3

• Junior

FS- 1986 Jetta 1.6 NA, $1500 OBO
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:36:18 pm »
Where to begin? Im selling my much loved 1986 volkswagen jetta diesel for family/cost reasons. I have poured a lot of time and money into this car. What I've done can be viewed on this thread, (and if you buy it, please continue updating!  ;D)    http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=31024.0

It is the ultimate commuter go-kart and i set it up for exactly that purpose, to put miles on it in comfort, and as economically and maintenance free as possible. Best fuel economy I have personally achieved was 47mpg, but with care, it can probably do better. Usually gets about 40-45mpg around town. It is manual everything, 5-speed overdrive, crank windows, no A/C, manual steering, I have purposely constructed it to be as basic and reliable as possibly, and so unlikely to break, and if it does very easy to service.

Short list of improvements, for more data, please visit the above thread, ill list the specs of stuff I did in the last year, and below this list, the bad-

-Engine- 140k on 1985 jetta NA 1.6 diesel I installed in this body. Engine has a new timing belt, new water pump, new valve shim job, new alternator, newish starter, runs excellent and fires immediately. The engine also has an excellent aftermarket fuel filter/water separator.

-Transmission- 5-speed overdrive tranny, new clutch, new axle seals, new axle boots, new wheel bearings.

-interior- Inside it has a new carpet over new sound insulation, replacement dash from the 85 (with 86 vin moved over), cleaned out and repaired heater control box (common problem on these mk2s) new stereo with usb and aux in port, 4 new speakers for decent sound. Seats are original.

-body- approx 220k on this body, ODO reflects body mileage. The body has undergone extensive and excellent rust repair, with new metal welded in, and I had the entire underside of the car sandblasted and undercoated. Looks brand new underneath. It has a new windshield, and the standard mk2 rust around the windshield has been taken care of. It has new door seals and strikers all around. It blows nice and hot heat

-custom mods- a few small custom modifications include an internal to the cabin rear window mounted antenna to get rid of the external antenna, and a custom roof rack with easily removable cross bars that maximize economy.

-Tires, the car is sitting on 4 good summer tires, 2 with less than 5k on them, and powdercoated black teardrop rims with silver stripes (mistake by the powdercoater, but I made the best of it). With the deal you get 4 mounted and balanced snow tires on steel rims, 2 studded, and two of these with less than 10k on them. This car is unstoppable in the snow with these tires installed. Additionally, I have 3 or 4 extra steel rims with decent spares on them.

-suspension- New (stock ride height, I know  :o, what can I say, I love ground clearance) front springs, shocks, strut bearings, wheel bearings as I mentioned. Rear in good shape, but you get parts below as listed in spares

spare parts- with the deal you get all my spare parts for a mk2. This includes an extra engine and transmission out of an 85 golf, 2 spare radiators, 1 spare shifter assembly, numerous boxes of odds and ends small parts, several front clip choices, one extra stock, and a single rounds if thats your style (pics of the car with that setup in the thread), parts for rear rotor conversion, a complete HD rear suspension collection of parts, shifter bushing kits, and a bunch more, ect ect.

The bad-
paint. during rust repair where I actually replaced refurbished body panels not original to the car, I have had the hood and fenders painted original color and thats brand new. The rest of the car the paint is in sorry shape, cracked and faded. Does not look too bad, but there are a few little dents, and a few little rust spots in addition to where there is primer over replaced bodywork. Paint this car and it will look spectacular.

its missing a few small trim pieces here and there I haven't collected from a junkyard, and a plug end for the top of the coolant overflow, another little part to collect. Lumbar for the drivers seat is poor. one of the rear doors doesn't open reliably, I installed a new horn actually from a larger vehicle, but it needs to be wired up.

To sum up, you are buying a car that easily has several hundred tinkering hours and at least 5-6k sunk into it. Its now at the stage where its a good, solid mk2, and with paint on the rest of it, it would be beautiful. The car and parts as a package I would like to get 1500 dollars for everything, but may be negotiable a little. Please PM if you are interested in taking a look!  located in Providence RI. 

Here is how it currently looks-

1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #1May 05, 2013, 01:53:56 pm

JBG3

• Junior

Re: FS- 1986 Jetta 1.6 NA, $1500 OBO
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:53:56 pm »
Ok bump for all offers from this community.  Id much rather sell this car to someone who freaking knows vws and diesels for less than I'm asking.  Worth it to me to keep it out if the hands of the crowd of people who are reponding to my ad on craigslist.

I've showed the car to 4 people from craigslist, each more painful than the last. 
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #2May 05, 2013, 02:40:00 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:40:00 pm »
please dont sell it to a tweeker off craigslist :'(
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3May 05, 2013, 05:54:55 pm

GTiTDi

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Schnell Snail TDI performance
    • My 91 GTI --> TDI swap thread
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:54:55 pm »
I think he meant one of the "stance" crowd...you know, 20 year old kid gets it, throws it on coilovers and scrapes the bottom of the car off...it is a fate that many an old VW is destined for...sad  :'(
91 GTI/ AHU spec'd 1Z power, GT2052W w custom adapter (available through me, PM me for details),TDTUNING software, PP764 nozzles, Massive spearco FMIC, PD intake, Koni reds
97 B4VGLX AHU, RC3, 357's, PP'd head, Shine springs and Koni yellows

Reply #4May 05, 2013, 06:01:44 pm

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:01:44 pm »
I think he meant one of the "stance" crowd...you know, 20 year old kid gets it, throws it on coilovers and scrapes the bottom of the car off...it is a fate that many an old VW is destined for...sad  :'(

Actually so far I've had college students who either don't drive stick, have no idea what diesel is, don't get what's involved with a 25 year old car, ect.  I had one retard try to put it in gear without depressing to clutch. 
A representative from the stance crowd would be refreshing vs these clueless hipsters I've been inundated with.   ;D
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #5May 06, 2013, 12:31:36 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:31:36 am »
its PERFECT for the low n slow crowd.. lol..

its already half way there, all ya gotta do, is lower it some..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6May 06, 2013, 09:14:58 pm

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:58 pm »
Sold!   I sold it to an English grad student familiar with diesels and manual everything.  Turned out well
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #7May 07, 2013, 04:40:21 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:40:21 pm »
Sold!   I sold it to an English grad student familiar with diesels and manual everything.  Turned out well

AWESOME! a happy ending!

Reply #8May 08, 2013, 12:27:52 pm

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:27:52 pm »
Sold!   I sold it to an English grad student familiar with diesels and manual everything.  Turned out well

AWESOME! a happy ending!

wait, potential issues pending.  Moderators please don't delete this thread yet, I may be relisting it if I buy it back from her.  Shes having some trouble with it, It may not have been overwise to sell the car to her.

She had said she was familiar with diesels, but that does not include being able to tinker with an older one if something like an airlock happens.  She may have been happier with an old jap gas car, at least all shops can work on those
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:35:09 pm by JBG3 »
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #9May 11, 2013, 03:53:03 pm

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 03:53:03 pm »
well, im pretty sure shes gonna keep it now.  She says she loves the car, which is a shocker.  I never expected a young woman to buy a manual steering, manual transmission, manual window, no A/C car from me.  Ill try to see if I can get her to post questions and issues she may have with the car to take advantage of the knowledge available here. 

Of course, as soon as I sold it, everything started to break, so there is definitely a need.   ;D
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #10May 11, 2013, 04:24:24 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 04:24:24 pm »
  Of course, as soon as I sold it, everything started to break, so there is definitely a need.   ;D

Thats why you never sell a car to friends. I drove a car several thousand miles no problems and as soon as i sold it to my friend *** started breaking and of course dude has no clueh ow to work on vw diesels.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Fixmyvw.com