S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Was freeze-plugs, now head scratches...  (Read 8854 times)

Reply #45November 20, 2012, 08:13:17 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Was freeze-plugs, now head scratches...
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »
Pulled the camshaft off and started sanding the head surface.
The small gouges look better, but some others are a small concern. I think copper sealant should resolve those issues.

This one is odd: it sems to have been partially milled off-axis...

I got a 7x24 tempered glass shelf at the store and taped the 600grit to it. I lubed generously with wd40 and slid the head back and forth longitudinally.

I'm not sure I want to sand any further... The straight-edge currently shows no gap end-to-end and corner-to-corner, but the openings of the precups seem about .001" proud. If I keep sanding, I'm concerned that the precups, which are harder, will let me rock the head back and forth on them and create a rise, since there is no way for me to force the head to maintain the same plane as the glass.

Reply #46November 20, 2012, 10:45:27 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:27 pm »
It did clean up. I would check for gap between the cylinders as well. I currently have one head disassembled with about 3.5 thousandths between #3 and #4. Not sure what I will do with THAT.

Personally, I get the feeling this engine has been manipulated to some fashion before. I don't think those soft plugs in the block are the originals...not even. All of these valves look like they match. I can't remember if the new TRW's have that same small dent or not.

Wonder how much wobble the valves/guides have? I would recommend stem seals if you have access to a valve compressor. The precups generally always protrude a bit. Not sure why one of them sits in there different.

Here is a question I have regarding peening a head around the precups: if a guy peens these....does THAT totally rule out sending the head back for a core to a rebuilder? In other words, do most exchange-rebuilders accept peened-precuped heads as cores.....or do you lose your head and have to fork over the core charge? Just curious.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #47November 20, 2012, 11:02:22 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »
Ja, I have seen quite a few pix online, and none had the machining marks I see on the head, precups and the block.

(This is just after a very light scrape yesterday with a new carbide blade. The peaks are faint, but enhanced by the gasket residue.)

The PO said he was a wrench at FedEx... parked the VW after it dropped the exhaust and drove his Jeep thereafter. Hmmmm.

Reply #48November 21, 2012, 10:17:11 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 10:17:11 am »
I had corrosion pits in the head around the coolant flanges and near the oil drain hole where it would seep coolant  (92 Eco). I cleaned the pits down to bare metal, filled with epoxy then wet sand, repeat till smooth. Fixed the leaks.

Another way would have been to get a shop to tig weld aluminum to fill the pits and sand it flat. I didn't want to look for a shop to do that and end up with longer down time and possible complication and wanted to try the epoxy so that's my story.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:20:16 am by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #49November 21, 2012, 10:23:04 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:04 am »
Ja, I have seen quite a few pix online, and none had the machining marks I see on the head, precups and the block.

(This is just after a very light scrape yesterday with a new carbide blade. The peaks are faint, but enhanced by the gasket residue.)

Use your plate glass /600 paper on the block also.

The PO said he was a wrench at FedEx... parked the VW after it dropped the exhaust and drove his Jeep thereafter. Hmmmm.

Fixmyvw.com