Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Aesthetic help for Rabbit!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 10480 times)

Reply #75September 13, 2012, 03:29:11 pm

rabbit82

• Junior

Re: Aesthetic help for Rabbit!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 03:29:11 pm »
I go the new flakes on with 185-70-14 all the way around. I've been running them for about 2 or 3 months now. No tire rubbing at all, rides much better and gets my butt off the road a good bit.
 Some loss in power on take off and pulling long grades, have to give it more pedal. Seems to have affected the mpg a little. (I can't check the mileage. I found out why I was getting such poor mileage before. I caught the odometer skipping and not working at all for miles and then it would kick back in. I know the fix just haven't taken the time to fix it.) But estimating how far I drive to work and beating around I should be getting atleast 45 mpg.
I also put the front air dam on. Now to find a set of flares. I'm going to do the tape thing again and see what it looks like with these wheels.

Reply #76September 13, 2012, 03:32:50 pm

rabbit82

• Junior

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 03:32:50 pm »
I forgot to ask. If you look at the first pics I posted in this link of the interior you will see a really nice dash. Since that post the dash is turning black, there is a large patch on the pass. side about the size of your hand. What causes this and can it be reversed somehow?

Reply #77September 13, 2012, 08:12:18 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:18 pm »
I've got the same problem on my brown dash, where parts are turning a darker brown.  Only fix I think is to do vinyl spray.  Not the answer you want to hear I'm sure, but the only one I know.

Reply #78September 17, 2012, 11:40:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:53 pm »
I would start looking for some nice chrome or rubber and chrome mud flaps.  I run the wider tires like that in the winter and it really throws the crap down the side of the car.  I think I ended up just getting the standard black ones for my car.  I had to raise the rearend to off set the weight of the second fuel tank that rides across the rear of the trunk. 

but looking better.  I still think a black portion to the line on the lower third would do nicely.

DAS

Reply #79September 18, 2012, 07:06:04 am

DarkwingDork

• User+

• Mk1Ultra.com
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2012, 07:06:04 am »
GIVE ME MY CAR BACK!!!

lol, kidding.. nice lookin car tho, but it needs more low, and some tweels..

Low looks nice as a novelty...not for me. I'm all for wheels, but lowering takes away the Rabbit's ability to surprise people with it's off-road capabilit...and places the oil pan in grave danger  :-\

Besides, I love being able to change oil without a jack  8)

To each his own though...
1984 Rabbit Wolfsburg 1.6/5-speed
My Mk1 FAQ/DIY site:
http://mk1ultra.com
My build thread:
vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=30776.0

Reply #80September 18, 2012, 09:46:58 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2012, 09:46:58 pm »
I can't go the lowered route either.  In fact, when I raised the rear springs I remembered that 1970's look that must be me.  High in back, wider wheels back and low nose and spoiler.  Perhaps I am trying to make my VW look like the older Road Runners. 

just an ider.

Fixmyvw.com