S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Repaired odometer  (Read 1716 times)

September 13, 2012, 08:41:07 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
Repaired odometer
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:41:07 pm »
My Jetta odometer had gone south when a previous owner had pressed the trip reset at about 232,000 miles. He drove another 7000 and I drove 17,000 further. He figured that he had broken something like a gear.

I keep track of my mileage and was plain tired of looking up everyplace and figuring out the mileage. 

About a month ago I asked here, looking for a new one which lead me to a new used one and I also got some repair techniques for which I was grateful.  I was planning on doing a repair but tore the plastic circuit board.

My car is running well now, the "new" speedometer is in metric which is ok It seems to work and the gauges work.

I decided to tear into the speedo unit and see which gear I had broken. It turns out no gears were broken but the cast metal gear on the central shaft which is normally press fit was turning on the shaft. I knurled the gear bushing with a dental pick to create an interference fit to the shaft and fit it back together. As a bonus I reset the odometer to 0000000. At present I am not planning on changing it back out but will have it when the other starts acting up.

M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #1September 13, 2012, 10:24:26 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Repaired odometer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:24:26 pm »

Reply #2September 14, 2012, 12:19:54 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
Re: Repaired odometer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:19:54 am »
Yep spot on, it was the gear that was on the right side of the number rings, next to the "1" ring. Fortunately my gear didn't seem to have any cracks or wear on the teeth. The hub just needed to be tighter.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

S-PAutomotive.com