Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Is there a difference between N/A injector nozzles and Turbo nozzles?  (Read 8448 times)

Reply #30January 30, 2013, 10:36:30 pm

Turbofan

• Junior

Re: Is there a difference between N/A injector nozzles and Turbo nozzles?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:30 pm »
I do loosen the cam sprocket when I retime the pump. I'm wondering if it was a fuel issue at this point. My car was at the point where I rarely used the cold start lever, unless it was around 0 (c), or just above. When my injectors were rebuilt, the rebuilder told me they were so bad they weren't really atomizing fuel anymore. Time will tell if the problem is fixed. I'm preparing myself to find out my new used pump will need a rebuild, or reseal at the very least. I'll look at the guts tomorrow when I throw the camplate in.

Reply #31January 31, 2013, 09:59:49 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:49 am »
The cam timing doesn't change when the pump timing is adjusted. 

Reply #32January 31, 2013, 11:44:22 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:22 am »
I do loosen the cam sprocket when I retime the pump. I'm wondering if it was a fuel issue at this point. My car was at the point where I rarely used the cold start lever, unless it was around 0 (c), or just above. When my injectors were rebuilt, the rebuilder told me they were so bad they weren't really atomizing fuel anymore. Time will tell if the problem is fixed. I'm preparing myself to find out my new used pump will need a rebuild, or reseal at the very least. I'll look at the guts tomorrow when I throw the camplate in.

If you loosened the cam sprocket when the timing was set with the timing pin aligned, and you could not get the timing pin in on subsequent timing checks, then something is not right. If you have play between the crankshaft and the crank sprocket, that could throw the algnment of the timing pin off.

Reply #33January 31, 2013, 12:28:08 pm

Turbofan

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 12:28:08 pm »
Agreed. My guess is the last time I did I had it apart, I didn't notice the play, and when I put it back together, it was a bit off, which is why the timing pin would no longer fit. I'm going to see if I get it back together right just so I could drive it, and in the mean time look for a replacement cog. I REALLY hope it's the cog that's beat, and not the crank.

**Yay!** Just found a replacement sprocket from GAP for $17. It'll be here on Saturday, so I guess I won't just slap the thing back together. My guess is this was probably my problem all along. When I originally turbo'ed my engine years ago, it went like crazy until one day when it just had a little less power, which is how it stayed. I'm guessing that the timing between the crank/cam timing was a little off, but luckily not off enough to mash valves. I can't wait to get this back together. Funny that I can get excited about driving a car that came with less power than my '67 Type 1 had.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:04:29 pm by Turbofan »

Fixmyvw.com