Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

AAZ rebuild (broke down in Maine)

(1/18) > >>

RockOcean:
I recently broke down in Maine from overheating my AAZ 82' Westy. I am staying at a mechanics shop so this is a huge help. Just a little info 3 months ago I changed the radiator, retro fitting the newer style. After changing that I realized the head gasket was the source of the problem. I changed that, and it ran fine for 2 months driving it everyday and then 800 miles to Maine. All of a sudden one day it overheated again - the cap on the expansion tank would not tighten down. So I replaced the expansion tank and figured I would be on my way. Not the case about 50 miles down the road it overheated again - then a couple more times til I knew it was time to get it to shop. 

I decided to tear the motor down completely. Luckily I have a hot tank right next to the van so the parts are all clean :- )

-The head has been checked and is warped .006 also has a crack but does not leak. It was a 1.6 head I plan on replacing with a 1.9

-Cylinder number 3 has a lot more carbon build up then the others, also on the bottom of the injector.

-Cylinder number 2 has a small or maybe big chip on the edge of the piston crown.

-All pistons have slight valve marks on them number 3 is the biggest.

I will be taking the disassembled motor to the machine shop today to have them check everything out. Gonna have them machine the crank for an AHU pulley as well.

Here are some pictures:

Chip on #2
IMG_8625 by RockOcean.com, on Flickr

Chip and side wear on #2
IMG_8626 by RockOcean.com, on Flickr

Carbon build up and valve imprint on #3
IMG_8627 by RockOcean.com, on Flickr

Crank Snout
IMG_8631 by RockOcean.com, on Flickr

I am posting on here because I want this rebuild to be done right and hopefully not again for a long time. So if you could give me your opinions on what I should do, and what parts to use I would really appreciate it. If you need anymore pictures of anything let me know and I will post them

Thanks so much,

Ryan

http://www.facebook.com/FreeRockOcean

RockOcean:
Got the block report back from the machine shop:

Piston is .20mm smaller and the Bore is .30 bigger then Bentley specs.

Does this sound right? I am going to get another machine shop to check it to make sure.

theman53:
That can't be correct. Maybe .020 and .030 but tenths is huge with these. The .003" would be the wear limit for overbore to the .001" spec.
The pistons look like they have been running with bad injectors/nozzles. I would get those pop tested and rebuilt.

libbydiesel:
If those specs are right for the pistons and bores, then you were more than FIVE TIMES the wear limit.

RockOcean:
Well I guess I will be questioning the machine shop tomorrow. Thanks guys, you know anywhere I can find a aaz valve cover?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version