S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Better fuel return hose  (Read 8679 times)

Reply #45November 06, 2013, 02:15:22 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

Re: Better fuel return hose
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 02:15:22 pm »
I do run alternate fuels,and that is PA plastic that is use for air brake in truck,good to 20 bar and 60 c,just for rwcord.
I`ll improve my English

Reply #46November 06, 2013, 04:01:53 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 04:01:53 pm »
There is a VW part number for the clips to hold those bypass lines on.  I have it, somewhere...
Never seemed to need any and have never seen them on a motor but they were in the EPC somewhere.

Never needed anything but the old braided hose either myself.  I don't run alternate fuels and generally leave
em alone once I install em.  They last as long as it takes an injector to need a nozzle or longer with fuel being what it is
these days in the US.  Every time I see someone have something that isn't the braided cover line on there it ranks
right up there with a fram oil filter.  Not that there aren't folks that have made informed decisions on an alternate line,
but it's the exception rather than the rule in my experience. 

All that braided line isn't created equal either.

Didn't know there are VW clips for the injector lines and would like to see a pic or p/n. The braided hose fit so tight on the inj. barb which has the same design as push lock barbs that you'll have trouble pulling the hose off without breaking it leaving a stub, I can't imagine why clips are necessary with the OE braided hose, which is very tough, much tougher than the clear polyurethane Tygon tubing. The only reason I use the polyurethane tubing is you can see through it. I did have one (clear polyurethane tubing) develop a crack at the injector barb and made a mess. I was very surprised as it also feels very tough but I guess not as tough as the braided hose. I bought the tubing from McMaster and as I recall the tag on it says it was made by St Gobain. I am switching back to the OE braided hose. Wolf Walker, who sells the best quality braided hose?

Reply #47November 07, 2013, 11:18:40 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:40 pm »
No idea, I thought it was weird too but I know beyond doubt I've seen a factory listing/diagram showing them for one of these old motors.
I'll try and dig it out of my overly nested VW stuff folder.

If the braided stuff isn't rock hard and baked on from years and years, you can usually press in above the barb and pull up slightly on teh lip
at the base of the barb and they will come on off.  If they are too hard for that they need to be cut and put back on, if you left them long enough,
or replaced.  Seen a lot of folks use a razor to cut em off and score the barb up, leaks after.  Annoying.  I burn em off before I cut em after making that
mistake once.

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #48November 08, 2013, 03:20:28 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 03:20:28 am »
Ford/junkyard has return line spring clamps for the 7.3 too.

Reply #49November 08, 2013, 09:17:25 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2013, 09:17:25 am »
VW part no. (+N) 900 455 01        '5 x 8'

Those 6mm clips arrived, but are a little tight,on my 8mm o/d tubing, so ordered a length of externally braided 7mm.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #50November 08, 2013, 11:37:56 pm

oldpoopie

• User+

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2013, 11:37:56 pm »
Ive been using this viton hose from dudadiesel. Its black opaque, but works fantastic.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=hose1
1985 jetta TD. It was free, and it shows. Down and dirty engine refresh made it run fairly well.... No leaks, except water into the cabin!

2001 golf Tdi. Heavy built ALH, soon to have a PD Frankenstein motor.

S-PAutomotive.com