Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1989 VW Jetta  (Read 4231 times)

August 02, 2012, 09:34:44 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

1989 VW Jetta
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:34:44 pm »
With great sadness, I am putting up my 89 Jetta for sale. Not being mechanically inclined, one thing after another keeps going and it's just becoming a hassle. It has a rebuilt 1.6 NA done by Scott (ilikevwdiesel) with approx. 8500 miles,a Giles IP, 2.25" exhaust, 14" wheels,Recaro interior from a Golf, new radiator and other things. As of right now, the car runs hot when A/C is on, 2 injectors are bubbling fuel (afraid to tighten them and damage the heat shields{if I can let me know} ). Also, when a/c is on, the oil light pops on and buzzes, but stops when you push in clutch and rev engine.. And sources here have told me the heat door needs to be resealed since all the foam is gone and heat is moderate. And with a new alternator, it still kills battery now and then (maybe a loose connection). Mileage is not what it should be, Bryson suggested IP fuel screw be adjusted. And I have a 3" intake hose jury rigged up, but never made hole in air filter box to modify.  

Last few hundred miles the odometer has stopped Presently at 232,700, moves when it wants to. Typical from what you guys post. Few dents and dings, rust at lower front fenders, and drivers area was replaced with sheet metal, not a floor pan. And other things I may have missed, but you would know what to look for on a 23 year old car. Or ask Scott. lol

I'd like to get some of my money back, so make an offer. I know you guys love these cars inside and out and know them intimately and should have no problem fixing the issues. And have a car that keeps on running. Don't want to junk it. Cant sell for parts cuz i'll probably break something pulling them out. I can drive the car where it has to go, as long as an airport is nearby (has to have Delta flying there), and a marriott hotel nearby, I can drive it to you.  I have an appt. with a TDI guru, but having second thoughts ($$$$$$).

Pictures in next few days..

Lemme know. Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:38:19 pm by fdnyguy »

Never forget what a "Religion of Peace" did on 9/11/01.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k
1998 Jetta 1.9TTDi 228k .
2002 F250 7.3 TD   63,000 miles. Sold.
1980 Mack CF Fire Engine. Working on it.
2007 Dodge MegaCab 5.9 Cummins. Nice, but plagued with issues

Reply #1August 02, 2012, 10:00:17 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: 1989 VW Jetta
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
That's sad to hear. Hopefully it goes to a good home
Tyler

Reply #2August 02, 2012, 11:32:05 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:32:05 pm »
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!

These cars are old and need care.  Yes I know it well but consider what is out there that would run as well, get the mileage you could and not cost 40K.  These cars are meant to run but you have to maintain them.  I guess that is the issue.  You were not born with a 12 mm wrench in your hand.  Mom said that was the worst part for her when I arrived.  All the oil should have come first not the tools. 

My prediction is that 5 years from now you will be hunting another.  They grow on you. 

Reply #3August 03, 2012, 08:22:37 am

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:22:37 am »
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!

These cars are old and need care.  Yes I know it well but consider what is out there that would run as well, get the mileage you could and not cost 40K.  These cars are meant to run but you have to maintain them.  I guess that is the issue.  You were not born with a 12 mm wrench in your hand.  Mom said that was the worst part for her when I arrived.  All the oil should have come first not the tools. 

My prediction is that 5 years from now you will be hunting another.  They grow on you. 

Laugh of the day. Funny, but true. I kept the car for 3 years just wanting to drive it again. Like you said, they grow on you.  I wish some of you guys were closer, I know the work would be done right and fast. Hell, it was 400 miles on a U-Haul trailer to get it up to Maine. And 400 back. Even drove to Boston to get the Recaros. And even though it obviously isnt as new as my 09 (which I am letting my soon-to-be-ex drive), those Recaros do make a difference in a 23 year old car. Its been to Canada, State College, PA, Middle Connecticut, and many times just north of the city, for I am looking at houses up there. Love driving (like most of you), many days I just get in the car and zip (well not with an NA) away somewhere. So I can't argue your point.

Crazy as it sounds, I actually talked to guys from a VW club in Tijuana and was looking into drving it there and getting it redone. Fly home, and pick it up. Then reverse it. See the country, save a ton of money getting it redone, and was arranging to meet some of you guys. Not a bad gig.  Was still thinking about it until house popped into picture. But one f the TDI "gurus" on TDI club said he would take a look at it. So even though its a few bucks more, if the issues can be resolved I may keep it. Even with a Bentley book I've tried, just isn't me. Love cars, just cant fix them....lolol But there are benefits to working for an airline, and its real cheap to fly home. I just gotta bank a few more tours at the firehouse to get off for a week or 2.

But you got me in the mood to try something. Bryson sent me directions on adjusting the Giles IP. Mileage isnt there and I could make money crop dusting. Won't do the heavy stuff, but I'll try it. And there's always U-Haul if I break it. lolol

Stay safe,stay well. Jimmy.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k

Reply #4August 03, 2012, 03:15:41 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:15:41 pm »
on my b3 passat wagon... running the ac on a "hot day around town" with its duel fans and all... it gets warm.. very warm... one of the reasons vw added the temp sensor to turn off the ac comp when over a certain temp... never seen a gasser wuth one..

i doi not have a egt gauge on it.. but as long as my water temp, measured at waterpump does not exceed 90*c... and the oil temp stays under 110*c not a issue... but when the oil starts to go up.. say 120-130*c the water temps start to go up too... oil pressure drops...

sounds as if the same issue you have... so my basic rule is.. run the ac to get inside cooled down.. once oil temps start to get too high.. kill ac..

you really should invest in oil temp, water temp, oil pressure.. those 3 numbers would help at this moment.. you can even use the same temp gauge with a 2 way switch to flip between oil and water temps..

your oil is thinning out.. why oil light.. thinning due to oil temp.. oil temp up there as ac caused heat.. rember condensor infront of rad.. it gets hot from ac on.. hot air blowing on rad = more heat.. so colent does not cool as well..

add in the gils pump.. im sure this adds even more heat.. due to fuel..

Reply #5August 03, 2012, 05:13:35 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »
on my b3 passat wagon... running the ac on a "hot day around town" with its duel fans and all... it gets warm.. very warm... one of the reasons vw added the temp sensor to turn off the ac comp when over a certain temp... never seen a gasser wuth one..

i doi not have a egt gauge on it.. but as long as my water temp, measured at waterpump does not exceed 90*c... and the oil temp stays under 110*c not a issue... but when the oil starts to go up.. say 120-130*c the water temps start to go up too... oil pressure drops...

sounds as if the same issue you have... so my basic rule is.. run the ac to get inside cooled down.. once oil temps start to get too high.. kill ac..

you really should invest in oil temp, water temp, oil pressure.. those 3 numbers would help at this moment.. you can even use the same temp gauge with a 2 way switch to flip between oil and water temps..

your oil is thinning out.. why oil light.. thinning due to oil temp.. oil temp up there as ac caused heat.. rember condensor infront of rad.. it gets hot from ac on.. hot air blowing on rad = more heat.. so colent does not cool as well..

add in the gils pump.. im sure this adds even more heat.. due to fuel..

See, that's why I love you guys. NOTHING gets unanswered here , lol. My a/c ran great with other engine, never had this problem. Did not take into effect the Giles IP. I have to adjust the fuel screw as per Bryson, because I can barely break 40 mpg. And I do not have a lead foot. So can I be correct in thinking too much fuel can also make it run hot? Or run a thicker oil in the summer? My only vice is A/C. I don't need too many luxuries, but a/c is one I cannot do without. Have to get a hole saw as well and modify the airbox to get more air in. Another reason it is running hot maybe? Running harder to get air? I do have a water temp gauge. Had an oil pressure gauge, but Scott pointed out my nephew just drilled into the aluminum head and ruined it. So its disconnected. Scott knows more abut it than me, he did the work :).

Car's running great. No complaints except for these isues. But "Mr. Badwrench" ain't  Mr. Trump either, and it's getting to the point where it may be easier to get a Mk3 or newer.

But as posted, I am not one handy with a wrench. And as the old saying goes; "Too many cooks spoil the broth", I contacted a guru on TDI Forum to look at it.  With a few days off, I could drive it somewhere, fly home and reverse it when ready, if anyone else is up for it. While the diesel basics are the same and a 1.6 IDI is a real simple engine (for you guys!!!), I do hope a TDI guru should not have any problem. But you guys have always been top notch and not even laugh at my dumb questions, and if anyone wants to make a few dollars for beer (sorry VW diesel upkeep...lol) money, I can drive it. Spend a weekend if theres a Marriott nearby. Maine to Ohio or Carolinas, no problem for me. Leave it if I have to and fly home. Or take a train if its easier.  

But I saw some great deals on Mk3's on Kijiji outside Toronto. So if there is interest in either, let me know.  As usual, thanks again.

Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:42:58 pm by fdnyguy »

2015 Passat TDi. 27k

Reply #6August 08, 2012, 07:02:24 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 07:02:24 pm »

Notice passenger side of bumper. Done with the leather dye.

Windows no longer tinted. Cop bagged me after 5 years. no ticket, but had to remove it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:37:41 pm by fdnyguy »

2015 Passat TDi. 27k

Reply #7August 08, 2012, 07:09:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:48 pm »
i wish you were about 2500 miles closer.. i love small bumper mk2s!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #8August 08, 2012, 07:57:11 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 07:57:11 pm »
Hey, Thanks. Sort of regret having the now non working driving lights cut into them. The link on here about using the Kiwi leather dye worked on the passenger side  and along the doors. 3 months and still looks good. I'm going to take it to that TDI guru in NJ and hopefully get the issues fixed. It still is a fun car to drive, as we all know.

And besides if you were 2500 miles closer, I wouldnt be selling it. You would be fixing it.. LOLOL

2015 Passat TDi. 27k

Reply #9August 10, 2012, 09:15:15 am

vwsb1974

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:15:15 am »
thats a twin to mine i have a 89 same everything. They are fun cars but they due require a lot of work. Good luck with selling it

Reply #10August 10, 2012, 12:34:01 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »
thats a twin to mine i have a 89 same everything. They are fun cars but they due require a lot of work. Good luck with selling it

Hey, thanks. It is outside Port Jervis, NY right now at a shop who is considered a "TDI Guru" on TDI club. Car has been running great (Thanks. Scott!) but the little issues are now adding up. I had a kid look at it, told him what I had invested recently and said $2200 minimum. Guess he thought he was going to get it for $300 so he backed out. 

As usual, the members on here know everyrthing. While a "TDI Guru", he was not aware of Giles' reputation with IP's on here. So I copied the pm from Bryson (Dr. Diesel) on adjusting the fuel screw and left him the instructions. And if he was interested, to modify my air intake. I was told on here that both of these issues are also reasons why the car runs hot. But it looks like it may need injector hoses, for they may be leaking as well as the injectors possibly being loose . Even with a Bentley book, I really don't want to try tightening the injectors and do more damage if I messed up the heat shields and burned out my head. And, it does help to have the right tools as well. Also, the damned clutch pedal keeps moving up to where I get yoga lessons shifting.

So,hopefully he will keep the car a week or 2. I would like to bring it to Ocean City,Md. at the end of September for a big show. It really is a fun car to drive, but if this doesnt work, I'll sell it. You guys love these cars, know them inside and out, and I'm sure someone would enjoy it as much, if not more than I do. So if anyone is interested, keep in touch. I'd hate to see it go to someone who really doesnt give a crap about Mk2's.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k

S-PAutomotive.com