S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 135087 times)

Reply #540June 14, 2015, 06:18:29 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Yeah it is very alive. It just needs more fuel than the mech 10mm pump can put out. I didn't do anything with the pump since getting the info from Goran, that info was mainly for what I am doing to the MTDI Jeep I am building.

Sadly, I cannot find a dyno within 2 hours of me that will do diesel. I would love to know what it is in WHP, but not that interested for a slip. I only drive it in the warmer months unless I need it for work or something in the winter. I built it to run cool so the precups will last and with the 160f thermostat it stays cold in the sub 60f outside air temps. To the point the heater really is not worth running. It is too much work for me to swap the T stat 2 times a year for fun. If I had to drive it for a long period I would, but I have the mkiv to daily...and some other junk. I only update this thread when I am driving it and lately I am hanging lights in my shed, so I am not driving it ;D

Reply #541July 18, 2015, 11:56:16 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I made some improvements today. Downpipe brace and tie rod dealings. It is now so much more civilized

Reply #542July 29, 2015, 12:45:44 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
Good idea on downpipe brace, I did that too, I had problem with manifold unbolting from cyl.head so I think this should help. Any pictures how you did it?

I was wondering, you have bigger exhaust valves in your cyl. head yes?
Where are they from? What engine? I was thinking to put AAZ valves to 1.6 hydro head but it looks like they are too short...

Also are you still not driving the car?   :-[
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #543July 29, 2015, 01:24:25 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I have driven it about 200 miles this week, so a little. The exhaust valves were blanks from a porche or GTI. I cannot remember which and were cut and made for this head. The rave 10 years ago was to slap an aaz head on because everyone said "the D port design is so much better" LOL, they have way bigger valves and that is why they flowed better, the D port is not the difference. To do the valves I got needs new seats installed as they are much much bigger than stock.

Reply #544March 30, 2016, 11:07:42 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
It is almost time to get it out again. Fun spring and summer car.

Reply #545April 25, 2016, 11:23:50 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
charged the battery and fired it up...man is it fun to drive. I have to be careful as it loves to run fast and I don't have fast speed limits here. Toyed with an mkvi GTI on the way home. Good weather is here now :D

Reply #546April 26, 2016, 10:35:45 am

Mr.Captain

So I am in awe of the work that's been done to the cylinder head and as I start my own 1.6 TD build for the project car,

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=7067437

I know I want to mirror what you have done.  I know it's been a bit since the build but I would like to know where the new valves came out of, somewhere you said a Porsche valve blank,  but the more info the better for me.  Also where did you get a higher rate valve spring or did you just shim them for more seat pressure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reply #547April 28, 2016, 10:42:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
The guy I got all my stuff from is Audi Technologies in Tiffin Ohio. They were some sort of Porche valve with a 7mm stem. Since we have 8v the Gti and other gasser cam stuff works just fine in ours. If you are not going as big of a valve or as much boost you do not need them. If you go to 40mm you are going more than 20% larger surface area and when you are doing 45psi of boost on the larger surface area the stock spring will blow open a bit. If you are not doing that the stock will work fine.

So much fun to drive the old thing and ride that GTI's bumper, he couldn't get away :D

Reply #548May 17, 2016, 09:58:00 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
How do you know valve is being blown open? Just curious... nice to hear you having fun  :)
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #549May 18, 2016, 12:28:27 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Yes, yes.....you've been getting WAY TO SOFT driving that cushy Taurus wagen......you old dog!
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #550May 19, 2016, 07:38:12 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
How do you know valve is being blown open? Just curious... nice to hear you having fun  :)
You really wouldn't know for sure until disassembly and saw valve imprints. Some signs would be after a certain boost it would stop raising as fast as it did and not as good of performance as it should have. It really comes down to math and the psi of the boost vs valve diameter vs spring

Reply #551July 21, 2016, 11:48:36 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Took it out for a spin tonight...it is hard not to get a ticket. Luckily I didn't, but it loves to cruise. Looks horrible now, but runs like a scared deer. Fun.

Reply #552July 22, 2016, 12:39:06 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
haven't been using it much this year?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #553July 24, 2016, 07:52:35 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
haven't been using it much this year?
Not really. There has been too much to do. Dropped 3 big pines in the back yard and have all the animals to deal with, plus life keeping it all going, so there is hardly any time to joy ride.

Reply #554November 18, 2016, 09:15:07 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Re: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D
« Reply #554 on: November 18, 2016, 09:15:07 am »
Well with the cold weather being non existent in Ohio, I have had this car out a more. I have been taking it to my deer hunting place and to look at some trucks. While it isn't cold, it isn't hot here, so it runs about perfect in this mid 40s to mid 60s temp "F" for the non American people here. I almost sold the head from this, but it didn't work out. It was a win either way as I am still happy to drive it.