S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 135122 times)

Reply #90October 26, 2012, 09:05:38 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
I understand the turbo will make a difference, but no matter what pressure the air is under it will still act like a sound wave in the runners. I don't understand it fully, but from what I gather the big factor is the camshaft duration and that the air is traveling at the speed of sound...so it acts like a big spring until the valve opens and at that point it will be forced into the cylinder. The little bit of reading I did I figure it will still be under 3,000rpm. If this spools like the k24 did I had 24 psi before 3,000, so the theory should still be on target. Even with no boost present I am hoping it performs like the N/A mechanical engines I had. The N/A manifolds had very long runners and seemed to do well right of idle, so if this just mimicks that I will be 100% satisfied and will call it a success.

I will not be butt hurt if it doesn't work 100% as planned. I did it for 50.00 and time, so I won't be out much. Plus it would be 10x easier to make a dual plenum that is shorter than this was to make. I am pretty sure it will be better than stock so that is worth it to me. If it for some reason is complete garbage I am just a cut off blade away from shortening the tubes and adding the 2nd plenum after capping the inlet. I would love to send this to someone with a dyno and have this tested vs other intakes and see what the comparison results are. Also then a real world driving senerio to see which design the butt dyno prefers.

Reply #91October 26, 2012, 10:01:32 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
It is good you won't be butt hurt because that effects the accuracy of a butt dyno
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #92March 10, 2013, 11:35:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text

This has been the the bag since December of 2011. So a touch over a year. I figured I should pull it out. It is the key to this build. I honestly don't know what is in it but there are some parts from the TDI I guess. I just told him to make it fuel so much I melt it down if I lose boost. He said OK  ;D

Some day I will have my head back and this will go together. I put in the heater core today, so most of the inside work is done. I will have heat too.

Reply #93April 15, 2013, 09:04:55 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Until its all together id make sweet love down by the fire with her.
I hope it has a nice fuel lope.
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #94April 15, 2013, 09:49:15 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I just hope it runs someday soon. I still need head.

I would like it to run good too. If I can light the new T3 hybrid that I have even 100 rpm earlier I will be happy. Which with the manifold I have I think it should work. I don't want it much sooner than that as I think I will have traction issues.

The inlet is too big for me to be making sweet love to her down by the fire, lol

Reply #95April 15, 2013, 10:14:09 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text

We will find a way to spool it LOL

Reply #96April 18, 2013, 04:48:55 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard

This is John Deere green. Seems pretty close to the stock color. I am over it. I like white now.

If you can, obv you should powdercoat everything you can. Painting things sucks.
And it all gets ruined in the end anyway.

Sent from Outer Space!

Reply #97April 18, 2013, 06:18:33 pm

Toby

• Veteran

Did you ever get the manifold flowed? That 90* bend where the stock manifold flange meets the tubing looks highly restrictive.

Reply #98April 22, 2013, 08:36:30 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
No, I never got it flow tested. It is the stock 90*. It looks more restrictive than it is I am sure. I ported all the weld through out and it isn't an L it is more of a C shape to get the air in there. As stated earlier, I won't claim this is the 100% answer to all 8v vw diesels but  I know it will be better than stock. I took it all up to my machinist that does stuff like this and he said it should be great. It wasn't together so I didn't have him flow bench it, but he has designed and made similar with good results. I won't take it to get flow benched either as he has had my cylinder head for a year now and I don't want him to do anymore work without that being done...no more excuses of too much to do.

Reply #99May 01, 2013, 11:27:03 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Talked to the machinist today. The head should be done by this weekend. Now I have to get ready. I ordered a smaller intercooler, for giggles and will probably be ordering a new radiator for more cooling. Also, I need a 2 pin 210mm flywheel if anyone has one that would be excellent, let me know. I also need to clean the surface rust off the deck surface, sucks, but what do you expect from a block that has been waiting for head since August.

I cannot wait to get it flow benched. Or running for that matter.

Reply #100May 01, 2013, 09:01:44 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
It may be somewhere in this thread but I have to ask - why in the world has it taken so long to get the head done?
Just curious.

Can't wait to hear how the new manifold works out.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #101May 01, 2013, 09:28:37 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
There is a story about the head, but I am holding off on telling. It is not close to a stock head any longer. I asked if he could do what I wanted and he said sure. The more in depth we got the longer he stretched it out and I think he was wanting me to say forget it and just put it together. If it works I will let you guys know what is up, if it doesn't I will keep it to myself.

I will post the flow bench numbers when I get them, that should be impressive to the point that people will say that it isn't possible for a 1.6 head to flow that much.

Reply #102May 01, 2013, 10:15:18 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
OK, starting to get it now. This what I really enjoy about this forum - many of you push the envelope and there's nothing like that feeling.

I hope it surpasses your expectations sir, you really have stuck to it.

. . one of my favorite posts to watch.

Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #103May 02, 2013, 10:00:37 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

There is a story about the head, but I am holding off on telling. It is not close to a stock head any longer. I asked if he could do what I wanted and he said sure. The more in depth we got the longer he stretched it out and I think he was wanting me to say forget it and just put it together. If it works I will let you guys know what is up, if it doesn't I will keep it to myself.

I will post the flow bench numbers when I get them, that should be impressive to the point that people will say that it isn't possible for a 1.6 head to flow that much.

Even if it doesn't work, I think you should at least post something explaining why it didn't.  This way, we have evidence of what doesn't work with a particular setup; evidence of something working is just as good as evidence of something not working.  It might be a little macabre, but a failure might be better to discover the limit of the 1.6 head.

Not jinxing you, though. :)  it's about time the head was done!

Reply #104May 02, 2013, 10:47:28 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
If so I will be very general, I won't go into detail as I want to have some sort of mystery to it. Either way I guess :D.

S-PAutomotive.com