S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 135121 times)

Reply #75October 17, 2012, 09:54:47 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Looks cool man, now where's that head?? Haha.  And not to be a butthole but u should get that rod resized it can't be that expensive, I am just weird like that and it bothers me
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #76October 17, 2012, 10:10:54 pm

Hoble

• Junior

notch the strut brace!! haha

actually ive been told one of the fastest cars around my local track is a honda with no sway bars and no strut braces... just lets er swing. just an interesting factoid

Reply #77October 18, 2012, 07:00:52 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
I will probably just cut the brace and weld it back a bit. It just hits a fuzz. My measurement was on the tube, but the tube needed capped. So the extra weld and cap is probably about 1/2" and that is about the interferrence I have. Also I had him angle the thing forward maybe a degree or so and if I would have left it at the 10 degree back I wouldn't have this issue. I had thought about bending it, but then I may end up hitting the compressor.

After going to all poly inserts and adding that strut brace this car handles better than most on the road, it is nuts.

Reply #78October 18, 2012, 07:58:59 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Just make sure there is room enough also for the engine to move (twist) about. Cutting and re-welding the brace is what I would do.

That intake looks very good and it's nice to see a different design from what I've used to!
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #79October 18, 2012, 08:26:05 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Yeah it actually clears the hood very well and has room to move except for that strut brace. I may get another one, or cut and reweld this one. If I cut this one and reweld I may change the angle so that it comes in almost from the bend right where it hits so it will clear by 3" or so. I hope that it will not hit that brace rocking forward as it has several inches to get there. As long as I have good mounts I would think that it will never be an issue, but we will see.

Also if I cut and weld that brace I may make it so it is pinned and I can take it apart in a few seconds. Now as it is it is bolted to the strut towers and one side has to come off to access the vc, cam, or get the turbo out from the back over top.

Reply #80October 24, 2012, 07:16:45 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Well I may only have to heat the brace and beat it to death. I just went out and started cleaning up some of the ports on the intake and mocked it up with the turbo and the turbo didn't fit. It should have cleared by a couple inches. I got out the measurements and the guy shifted the intake a fuzz to the passenger side which made it all off...but the compressor housing didn't hit the #1 tube like it probably would have, but I am not telling him that. I will just take it up tomorrow and let him go to town on it again and see where it ends up now. All he needs to do is cut the plug end off and reweld it about 1/4" closer to the ports.

Reply #81October 25, 2012, 01:48:08 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
What about the head
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #82October 25, 2012, 01:50:10 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
bring him a head, manifolds, turbo, and tell him to make it fit..

that end of the manifold, just dead heading it, makes for turbulance.. think the guy could use a spherical cap instead of a flat cap next time?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #83October 25, 2012, 05:45:59 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
The cylinder head...the last I saw was in Tiffin Ohio, but Dakotakid said he saw it on a milk carton...The machinist said he got the bandsaw fired up and is cutting up the old head. The guy welding the new head has his new house set up and is almost ready to weld, but I still do not have a cylinder head yet.

I did bring him all that to begin with, but some measurements were lacking on my part. I didn't think about a possible slant. I also did not think he was going to put a 1/2" plate on for the end cap. As long as it clears the turbo outlet I am fine. For the free price of welding I cannot complain too much. So with the no cost tig welding and the 20.00 in Aluminum tube and the 30.00 or so in sausage stuffers, all I will have is time and around 50.00 in this.

As far as the turbulance I do not know what will happen. I am just going off the calculations that I have. From what the calculations and the machinist say for forced induction it isn't really going to matter. It is more about the length of the runners and plenum volume. I did blow through it and was completely shocked at how little air was needed to make it to all the ports. But since only one intake valve will be open at a time it should scavenge the air very well. My only goals were to make it better than stock, lower the RPM the torque level is peak, and make sure it holds together. I may not have the best intake but I think I will succeed in my goals.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:57:50 pm by theman53 »

Reply #84October 25, 2012, 07:26:56 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
I think lowering your peak torque to around 3k is a good plan it should help some what with turbo spool and to some what define your power band.  My understanding of it is that the peak torque is where the engine is working the most efficiently ie it is moving the most amount of air and making the most amount of power per combustion keep in mind I said per combustion.  Peak hp is where it actually is making the most amount of power with all the combined combustions which is why peak hp is generally at a higher rpm than torque.  The torque number isn't really a measurement of power

Reply #85October 25, 2012, 08:02:49 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Yeah Trev0rbr, I think the length of the runners to the head are over 13" if you 3.25" measurement is as good as a twizzler gets. With all the calculating and figuring 4th harmonic it should actually be between 2500 and 3000. The lower the torque the better as that was the only thing lacking in my old 1.6, it just didn't go off the line that well. I guess if I can get a little more grunt faster it will be great. Just because it peaks around there doesn't mean it will be a lightswitch, it should climb rapidly off idle to peak at that point. I will be just fine with that...if the hillbilly calculations are accurate that is.

Reply #86October 25, 2012, 08:34:32 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
I think with ur intake and turbo improvements and the crazy head word u should be in the 500hp region

Reply #87October 25, 2012, 08:36:35 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I almost snotted laughing so hard.

Reply #88October 26, 2012, 02:15:32 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

Peak torque = when the turbo reaches max boost. To get peak torque earlier install a VNT turbo with vane control
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #89October 26, 2012, 08:34:47 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Peak torque = when the turbo reaches max boost. To get peak torque earlier install a VNT turbo with vane control
i guess i should have mentioned, in terms of a naturally aspirated engine, or one that would be under consistent boost from idle to red line(turbo efficiencys aside) the peak torque would theoretically be around 3000 or where ever he has calculated, but once you throw the boost curve and turbo efficiencies and w/e other factors in im sure the peak torque could be nearly anywhere.  I'm really interested in how this thing will run tho with that intake manifold and the 45 trim vw t3 hybrid, especially since we have seen the results from josh's 45 trim .48 powered caddy.

S-PAutomotive.com