Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 135104 times)

Reply #60October 08, 2012, 12:34:01 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
lay the gasket on the block, you will need to plug a coolant passage or else the opening for the extra drain will let coolant spill out the front of the block.  it shaped almost like a triangle  but i bet there is enough meat there to drill it out to a circle and tap it with pipe thread and run a plug into it.  then do a burn out.  but if you lay the gasket on the block you will see what needs done.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #61October 08, 2012, 12:50:05 pm

justiz00

• Junior

I plan on following in the foot steps of this thread when I get to that point. 1.9 hydro on 1.6 mech block. And hydro to solid conversion 2 different ways.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=15780.0

Reply #62October 08, 2012, 06:18:49 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Thanks Trevor. I do have the old 1.9 gasket and block, I am just out of cylinder heads right now. Now that you reminded me I think I remember...There is an oil passage and a water passage. That is what I couldn't remember. I was just remembering the oil return. I guess I will just have to use the teflon joint sealant tape like I did last time and didn't have an issue for 40,000 miles.

Reply #63October 08, 2012, 07:47:27 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Take it for what it is:a sloppy measurement.  But I used a twizzler and I stuffed down in there and kept it positioned at the center line of the port I got about 3.5 inches everytime I rechecked on each port, and honestly if it was measured straight down where the stem is that would give you another quarter inch I'd bet.  Also the twizzler worked pretty well haha
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #64October 08, 2012, 08:55:08 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Holy cow. I was expecting less than 3". Good news I may have good torque way less than 3,000 rpm.

Reply #65October 08, 2012, 09:11:44 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
I can believe it too because when I looked at my aaz head which has been months haha the intake ports go more straight downto the valve where the 1.6 head is more curved and a bit of a harsher bend into the valve seat

Reply #66October 10, 2012, 06:46:46 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Pics coming later tonight of the 1/2 welded intake manifold. I need to clean up the welds and send it back so he can put it back together.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:57:54 pm by theman53 »

Reply #67October 11, 2012, 07:02:52 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

Nice!  :)

That kind of inlet should make things flow a bit!
How's the hood clearance with that, BTW?
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #68October 11, 2012, 07:46:53 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
I think the John Deere green is about the closest color you can get to the stock VW diesel engine blocks without having a custom color mixed.

Anyone ever notice that the gasser blocks were not green?

Anyway, I like to paint engines black to hide oil leaks!!!

the 1.6 diesels were GREEN

the 1.5 diesels were BLUE (least all that i have own and seen)

the gassers were generally not painted at all.. the ones that were painted, were black..

myself personally, i really liked my machine gray engine the best.. it showed oil/coolant leaks like no other, and it was actually quite easy to keep it clean.. i liked it better than black for sure..

Alpine Green is my favorite color to do VW diesels in tho.. hands down..

gives you +20whp as well, just from the paint!!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #69October 11, 2012, 09:59:12 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Nice!  :)

That kind of inlet should make things flow a bit!
How's the hood clearance with that, BTW?

I should have about 1/2" of clearance. I figured I had 11" from the intake bolts up with ROR figures and I bolted an aaz head to old blown block and kinda measured the best I could. I measured to the strut tower brace and I had 11" to the bottom of it...and the intake will be behind it some and the further back it goes the more the hood slopes up. It should be right at 10.5" or less. The runners above the cast piece are 8.25", but I recessed them about an 1" into the plenum, but the plenum is higher.

Short answer is I hope it fits.

Reply #70October 11, 2012, 10:17:55 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
All guestimations point to it fitting eh haha

Reply #71October 11, 2012, 10:52:05 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
All guestimations point to it fitting eh haha

Yes, it will. One way or another...I will either beat it down or cut it back up and have it rewelded.

Reply #72October 14, 2012, 12:49:13 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

I think the John Deere green is about the closest color you can get to the stock VW diesel engine blocks without having a custom color mixed.

Anyone ever notice that the gasser blocks were not green?

Anyway, I like to paint engines black to hide oil leaks!!!

the 1.6 diesels were GREEN

the 1.5 diesels were BLUE (least all that i have own and seen)

the gassers were generally not painted at all.. the ones that were painted, were black..

myself personally, i really liked my machine gray engine the best.. it showed oil/coolant leaks like no other, and it was actually quite easy to keep it clean.. i liked it better than black for sure..

The green color closely resembles the detroit diesel 2 stroke green imo
sort of a 50s seafoam green or somethin...nice bright stylish color methinks
Alpine Green is my favorite color to do VW diesels in tho.. hands down..

gives you +20whp as well, just from the paint!!
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #73October 14, 2012, 12:52:50 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Osha green is a close match too..we use that at my shop,i think krylon makes it,but its normal paint,not engine paint
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #74October 17, 2012, 08:20:16 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Well got it back and it is all welded. Of course it is going to be close, but we will see. I ended up trading him some 3m supplies and 3 cupstones that I got for free for all the tig welding he did. Not bad I don't believe, what do you think?
Oh yeah, I had him add a section to the T3 so it will hook up easier.

Guess what, I can shut the hood with that guy...bad news is the cap on the end just hits that strut brace.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:56:48 pm by theman53 »

S-PAutomotive.com