S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 136055 times)

Reply #510July 21, 2014, 10:26:40 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
I need more pump. I turned it down a fuzz to see about more mileage on the trip, but I still only managed to get 41mpg. Even so the idle is controlled by the main screw. I am going to index it soon to see if I can get more out of it or not. Giles did good, but the turbo just cleans it up. EGT creeps up as the boost rockets up, when you hit about 7 to 10 psi the EGT start coming down. Faster spool would be nice, but for a non vnt and as big as it is, it spools ok.

i thought the spool up was very good, and with more fuel and egts it will be even better.  are you still considering putting the land rover pump on to see what happens?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #511July 21, 2014, 10:29:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
I am thinking of putting the 11mm head of the rover pump on this body that Giles did. I don't know what will happen but I think the advance curve out of this pump and the aaz camplate will work better than the stock rover pump.

Reply #512July 21, 2014, 11:14:31 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Just texted myke and he did not have video only pics. He will send them to me some day.

Reply #513July 24, 2014, 06:52:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text

I only found one smoked tail light and it is the left one  8)

Reply #514July 25, 2014, 12:01:02 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Good ol' Stinky!
Still dying for a General Lee paintjob. And, one of them horns.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #515July 25, 2014, 08:56:39 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I may have found the exhaust rattle...one of two things will cure it. One was I think the rear engine mount is shot now. It doesn't like the beating it takes. Two: I was missing an exhaust hanger. I replaced it now and hopefully all will be good.

Reply #516August 04, 2014, 11:32:31 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Replaced the one exhaust hanger and all is well, no more rattles...I still may go all poly engine mounts as it really isn't that mild mannered anyhow and not a daily really.

Reply #517August 18, 2014, 08:57:38 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Not the best, but I have a full pull in second from 30mph to about 50mph and some idle revs to hear it stationary.
***didn't work***

I hope it works and you guys can see it.

EDIT: Try these
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ubczcbc5aij9fem/AADEoCv_KK0FxSyTHxlrLGDfa/mkii%20vw
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:49:02 am by theman53 »

Reply #518August 20, 2014, 11:50:54 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Sweet,
I think I need to turn up my fuel screw.

I take it thats no muffler.

Thanks theman, good video after a lot of work and patience.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #519August 21, 2014, 08:34:11 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
It has a very expensive muffler the he221w, but nothing but 3" tubing after that.

Reply #520August 24, 2014, 02:01:24 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
So, I had some boost issues, then I had 0 boost. I have been leaking boost all of 2014 I suspect. It has always built boost well but it is a big turbo and takes time to get to full boost this year. I thought it was in my head. Turns out the engine mount is a bit whipped and it allowing the tubing on the wastegate to hit the fire wall. This made a split in it, eventually breaking it yesterday. I fixed it and then found that the fitting to my boost gauge was leaking as well, so I fixed that. Please to report that now I can make boost very fast and now I am not thinking I need to compound this thing for better spool.

I just wish I would have found this before the 2 trips I took to SD and PA this year. With an already big turbo the slightest pin hole is enough to hurt spool I have found. It used to be work to get it to 15+psi now it lives there. I will think of a permanent solution when I pull the head next oil change for precup inspection. I changed the oil yesterday so it maybe spring before that happens.

Reply #521August 24, 2014, 11:03:53 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Hmmmm.......I wonder if anyone has a good 4 and a quarter CAT sitting around.......
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #522August 28, 2014, 02:06:41 am

Rising

• Veteran

Woah!! About time we got to hear this beast! Sounds mean! When you stomp it 30-50 it really picks up! Im impressed at how fast it spools too... Id have thought with that much turbo there would have been a more noticible delay. These holsets must really be incredible.

Would you be so kind as to add your info to the exhaust sound clip thread?

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #523August 28, 2014, 09:16:53 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
It spools 10x faster now that I have fixed the 2 minor boost leaks. I have it set to 30psi now and that seems to work well, still 800f or below is all the egt I can muster with the 10mm Giles pump. Everything above 20 psi is wicked. This is the only turbo I have had that will bury the needle on my 35psi gauge. Granted, I run more fuel that most guys are on here, but yes, the Holset all come with the 360 bearing stock and that helps tremendously with spool. That and they are designed a ton better than the 30 year old K24 and T3 that came stock on here. But yes, now that the boost leak is fixed it spools pretty much similar to the vnt on my 01 TDI, but moves way more air.

Reply #524September 01, 2014, 09:42:31 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Re: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D
« Reply #524 on: September 01, 2014, 09:42:31 am »
Congratulations on your build Mr. I'm amazed your EGT's are that low with all the fuel your adding. I guess I don't yet understand the principles between fuel and boost.
I did turn in my fuel screw a tad yesterday and it seemed to improve the bottom end of the torque curve (boost comes on sooner).

Are you done or do you have other plans?
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

S-PAutomotive.com