Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 135048 times)

July 18, 2012, 11:39:55 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Here was version 1 =  http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=16572.0

The new engine will be going into the same car.

Now onto version 2:

Newly refreshed 10mm Giles pump and injectors
Coated ceramic KS pistons .5mm over
Balanced rotating assembly, pulley to clutch, and IM shaft
T3 hybrid turbo, Vw hot side Merc 45 trim cold side didn't work, updated to holset HE221W - hx27
Hydro 1.6 head converted to mechanical valves
Oversized face stainless 7mm valves and differnt springs to keep the intakes from blowing open
Ported head to increase flow and lower EGT...I hope. Flow chart to be posted when done.
There will be some very custom mods I will do to the head, but I will not give up the info until I know it works  ;)

I hope to be starting assembly next week, the bottom end anyway. I will update it as I can. Don't know what color it will be but I know I won't do anything black again...WAY too hard to see oil leaks. I want this one to be even more fun, but much more reliable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:03:21 am by theman53 »

Reply #1July 19, 2012, 02:04:19 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

Hydro 1.6 head converted to mechanical valves
Oversized face stainless 7mm valves and differnt springs to keep the intakes from blowing open
Ported head to increase flow and lower EGT...I hope. Flow chart to be posted when done.
There will be some very custom mods I will do to the head, but I will not give up the info until I know it works  ;)

Interesting head you have planned!

Why are you converting to mech. valves?

Air Cooled Engines Plus that is doing the work on the head?

'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #2July 19, 2012, 08:09:40 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Green...hmm.

Mech valves are better in my opinion, quieter too. I started telling John at air cooled what to do, then asked "you don't think I should run hydro valvetrain though, do you?" He started shaking his head violently and saying "no,no,no, you don't want that at all. You are right in your thinking on the mech valve."  So it was nice to have my ideas confirmed and have a machinist that actually agrees with me. Many reasons, but mostly personal preference. Some non personal preferance is less oil pressure to run them, not easily collapsed, won't stick, more bottom end snap, maybe a hp or 2 more total power < mech valve that is.

Reply #3July 19, 2012, 08:10:40 am

CRSMP5

i say ford blue... this way when/if it breaks you can say the problem is circled... :D

Reply #4July 19, 2012, 08:33:17 am

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

I am excited to see this build! I hope to learn much from you about your interesting headwork!  I feel spoiled with a hydro head never having to do a valve adjustment. I will dabble into that soon enough. Now that I am about done with my build, I am already itching to start another ;)

Reply #5July 19, 2012, 04:19:40 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
i say ford blue... this way when/if it breaks you can say the problem is circled... :D

every engine i paint ford blue, ends up being basically bullet proof..

the ONLY engines i have ever damaged, are not blue..

thats why i make it a point to TRY and have atleast a FEW ford blue parts on every VW..

my GTI doesnt have any ford blue, but it has ford parts, so thats close enough..

people think im kidding when i tell them to paint it ford blue, but im 100% serious..

ford blue is a VERY lucky color for me.. i started using ford blue, and the engines started lasting longer..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6July 19, 2012, 06:38:57 pm

rs899

• Veteran

Whatever floats your boat..

Weren't they originally green?  Do we really need to use "engine paint"  - they really don't seem to get very hot like gassers...?
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #7July 19, 2012, 07:08:08 pm

8v-of-fury

Weren't they originally green?  Do we really need to use "engine paint"  - they really don't seem to get very hot like gassers...?

I dunno man, flash point of diesel lies between 110°F, and 160°F. Other wise, here's a quote from Britannica.com:

"The diesel engine gains its energy by burning fuel injected or sprayed into the compressed, hot air charge within the cylinder The air must be heated to a temperature greater than the temperature at which the injected fuel can ignite. Fuel sprayed into air that has a temperature higher than the "auto-ignition" temperature of the fuel spontaneously reacts with the oxygen in the air and burns. Air temperatures are typically in excess of 526°C (978.8°F); however, at engine start-up, supplemental heating of the cylinders is usually required, since the temperature of the air within the cylinders is determined by both the engine's compression ratio and its current operating temperature."

Reply #8July 19, 2012, 07:27:23 pm

camboscams

• Veteran

Alpine green is where its at... 8) (also known as Detroit Diesel green)

Very interested in this build as well! Looking forward to seeing it come together

81' White 1.6l Rabbit 4dr Holseted
72' Ford F-250 390cid
2014 JSW 2.0L TDI Stg 2, CP3 HPFP

Reply #9July 19, 2012, 08:46:08 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text

my last engine build (wasnt my engine, otherwise i would have used blue) i used regular gloss grey paint.. didnt bubble, or peel.. turned out nice, plus, it was FREE.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #10July 19, 2012, 09:47:49 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I sell paint. The engine paint I have is good to 350F and the direct to metal paint that is in just about any color is good to 300F. So I will never get the block close to that hot I can use either. Color not so much a huge deal. I might actually go with Cat yellow or Cummins beige as this one will sound quite a bit different than the last one I am sure.

Reply #11July 20, 2012, 12:48:22 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
I sell paint. The engine paint I have is good to 350F and the direct to metal paint that is in just about any color is good to 300F. So I will never get the block close to that hot I can use either. Color not so much a huge deal. I might actually go with Cat yellow or Cummins beige as this one will sound quite a bit different than the last one I am sure.

why not go for blue or green like stock?

Reply #12July 20, 2012, 08:22:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Just something different as this really isn't stock, I like the idea of the JD green. Even though I own 3 fords, I have never been a ford guy so I don't think I could do it.

Reply #13July 20, 2012, 03:02:40 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

I've heard other people comment on the difficulty of isolating oil leaks with black engines but I've painted my last 4 engines gloss black and haven't had any issues tracing leaks to their source.    It's always been easy for me to see where the dust is wet vs. dry. 

Reply #14July 21, 2012, 12:17:33 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

I went with black on the first rebuild I did. Couldn't see squat with the black block....very annoying.
The thing about the JD green (real JD paint) is that is lightens in color after some heat cycles and ends up being about the same green as the original block from sauerkrautland.

The cummins beige is cool on a larger engine....not sure how it would look on these little minies.

Right now I've got two very nice cars in storage in the potential path of a runaway forest fire out here. Might have to be hauling buutt if this does not improve. It is the Eco and the GTI. Search: Myrtle fire.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

S-PAutomotive.com