Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.9aaz moded to TDI in a Jeep.  (Read 63906 times)

Reply #15June 14, 2012, 12:42:22 pm

bajacalal

Re: 1.9aaz moded to TDI in a Jeep.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 12:42:22 pm »
I suppose so, or maybe it's just a cultural thing. I read somewhere that southern California, specifically LA, Orange and San Diego counties, have more Mercedes and BMW sales than the rest of the United States combined. Maybe the guy here who buys the black Mercedes S-class drives the fully loaded full size pickup there.

Oddly enough, my friend from Germany told me that the 300D wagons were really popular in Germany with the farm families there who use them as their all purpose/go to town vehicle.

Reply #16June 14, 2012, 04:04:36 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »
Anyone selling a MBZ under $500 in CA is a sucker, because PnP will pay that to crush them.  There are still a lot of them here.

IMO while the NV4500 has been used in many Jeeps, it is overweight and overkill for 200 HP  the 3500 came behind many a small block, an are dirt cheap and easy to find.

Reply #17June 14, 2012, 06:42:37 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »
I think you are about right. I could not even tell you where a Mercedes dealer is in Ohio. Like most things the cities like Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnatti probably have one, but I am 100% sure there is not one in Holmes county Ohio.

I haven't had experience with the NV3500 as my truck is the HD 3/4 ton and came with the truck. I just know I really like it. I have driven some 1/2 tons that probably had the 3500 and they would probably work for a jeep, I just like the granny gear.

Reply #18June 16, 2012, 12:25:09 am

bajacalal

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 12:25:09 am »
I want an NV4500... for my 1st Gen Dodge.

I don't think one ever came in a Jeep. That is way too heavy duty for an OEM to consider it. They used the NV3500 though which is similar and smaller. I know someone who has a NV4500 which behind a 4BT Cummins in a Wrangler so I is definitely doable (this is what you should be putting in there btw) but way overkill and the granny 1st is not necessary for a light vehicle, not really suited for towing, unless you want to plow a field with it or do some hardcore rock crawling, I dunno... but then there's always the low range.

Reply #19June 16, 2012, 01:00:36 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 01:00:36 am »
I cannot locate a Jeep anywhere close with a blown engine. I am not in a hurry, but this has opened up my eyes to another possibility of buying a running one and waiting for it to blow up...So many different obsticles. I also haven't found a VW to X trans bellhousing kit other than the acme VW to Sami. I am sure they are out there but I haven't found them yet.

I was just thinking how much I like my NV4500 in the 3/4 truck. After thinking more in a Heep either of the trans I am familiar with *T18 or NV4500* are TOO much trans. If a sami trans can handle the load most times an NV3500 would for sure. And probably most out there. Whatever you guys said that came in the jeep would probably hold up better than the sami/tracker trans do.

Reply #20June 16, 2012, 02:51:46 am

81 vw pu

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 02:51:46 am »
I also haven't found a VW to X trans bellhousing kit other than the acme VW to Sami. I am sure they are out there but I haven't found them yet.

Have you checked out this site yet?

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/TDI-YJ-AX5.htm

Reply #21June 16, 2012, 03:55:17 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 03:55:17 am »
acme used to sell toyota conversions,

this said, the jeep ax5 and ax15 are ACTUALLY TOYOTA transmissions, one is a more common one then the other, one is a v-6/turbo tranny, which if using a jeep tranny but a toyota adapter, you would need the turbo bellhousing, this is hard to come by, good luck, but I think the ax5 can be used with any OTHER 4cyl bellhousing

so, tdi, to toyota, toyota bellhousing to ax5 should get you where you need to be, then ax5 to dana300, lol jk

you would almost be doing opposite of this guy, lol, putting toyota input and bellhousing on jeep ax5 trans. lol

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/replacing-ax-5-g54-toyota-transmission-615231/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:01:55 am by billybobf »

Reply #22June 16, 2012, 09:18:06 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 09:18:06 am »
81...thanks, but that is a little more pricey than I want. I didn't find that one searching.

billybobf-Thanks, so for a VW you don't really need the jeep shaft, right? I will look into this. I could see paying a few hundred for an adapter, but over 1,000 isn't going to happen.

Reply #23June 16, 2012, 10:04:36 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 10:04:36 am »
acme used to sell toyota conversions,

this said, the jeep ax5 and ax15 are ACTUALLY TOYOTA transmissions, one is a more common one then the other, one is a v-6/turbo tranny, which if using a jeep tranny but a toyota adapter, you would need the turbo bellhousing, this is hard to come by, good luck, but I think the ax5 can be used with any OTHER 4cyl bellhousing

so, tdi, to toyota, toyota bellhousing to ax5 should get you where you need to be, then ax5 to dana300, lol jk

you would almost be doing opposite of this guy, lol, putting toyota input and bellhousing on jeep ax5 trans. lol

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/replacing-ax-5-g54-toyota-transmission-615231/

SORRY dude, but the AX5, and 15, are NOT toyota trannies.. i know that for positive.. they are AISIN-Warner trannies tho. thats not toyota. AISIN-warner makes trannies for EVERYONE.. GM/ISUZU, Jeep, Toyota, and a few others use it.

they are VERY close to a toyota trans tho, so if you go that route, get the AX15. the AX5 is basically the 4 cylinder/ W52/G56 (weak model, toothpick internals) they are not interchangable with toy trannies tho, afaik.. some parts may interchange, but not all..

Lucas, if it were me, i would buy adapters to go from VW, to toyota R150/R151 trans.. that is the bigger V6 trans with HEAVY DUTY input shaft and internals..

R150 is the turbo 4 banger trans. its more hard to come by. uses a gear drive 23 spline top shift transfer case. lower first gear to lite the turbo.

R151 is the V6 trans. WAY easier to come by, cheaper, nice gear lay out, nice overdrive, chain driven top shift 23 spline t-case..

everyone says the V6 transfer cases are weak, and i have yet to blow one up. ive blown up every piece of the drivetrain atleast once, but the trans/t-case.. the chain drive cases are fine.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #24June 16, 2012, 11:33:34 am

81 vw pu

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 11:33:34 am »
If you do decide to go toyota trans, here's where a guy built his own adapter.
http://www.yotatech.com/f162/vw-diesel-build-up-135203/

Reply #25June 16, 2012, 12:53:12 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »
I cannot locate a Jeep anywhere close with a blown engine. I am not in a hurry, but this has opened up my eyes to another possibility of buying a running one and waiting for it to blow up...So many different obsticles. I also haven't found a VW to X trans bellhousing kit other than the acme VW to Sami. I am sure they are out there but I haven't found them yet.

I was just thinking how much I like my NV4500 in the 3/4 truck. After thinking more in a Heep either of the trans I am familiar with *T18 or NV4500* are TOO much trans. If a sami trans can handle the load most times an NV3500 would for sure. And probably most out there. Whatever you guys said that came in the jeep would probably hold up better than the sami/tracker trans do.

The reason that Acme makes the Toyota adapters is because the Toyota transmissions are considered an upgrade over the stock Samurai units which apparently don't hold up as well.

I would say strength wise for stock transmissions the NV3500 followed by the AX-15. I only threw those out there because I found a company that makes adapters for the Mercedes engine. The 4 speeds are pretty strong too and some of the older Jeeps had the Saturn overdrive unit on the transfer case or had that option. I don't think those really suit your purposes unless you are making the adapter stuff yourself in which case, the NV3500 came in the later (99 and up, I think) Cherokee and Wrangler. Prior to that the Ax-15 (6 cylinder) and AX-5 (4 cylinder) and some early ones had Peugeot units (not desirable).

I'm not aware of any company making any adapters for other applications than Suzuki/Toyota but the Toyota one, allows you to put the VW engine in basically any RWD application, the adapter+flywheel looks like it's $600.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:00:55 pm by bajacalal »

Reply #26June 16, 2012, 01:37:09 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 01:37:09 pm »

The reason that Acme makes the Toyota adapters is because the Toyota transmissions are considered an upgrade over the stock Samurai units which apparently don't hold up as well.

I would say strength wise for stock transmissions the NV3500 followed by the AX-15. I only threw those out there because I found a company that makes adapters for the Mercedes engine. I don't think those really suit your purposes unless you are making the adapter stuff yourself in which case, the NV3500 came in the later (99 and up, I think) Cherokee and Wrangler. Prior to that the Ax-15 (6 cylinder) and AX-5 (4 cylinder) and some early ones had Peugeot units (not desirable).

I'm not aware of any company making any adapters for other applications than Suzuki/Toyota but the Toyota one, allows you to put the VW engine in basically any RWD application, the adapter+flywheel looks like it's $600.

ever seen a sammi tranny? they look FRAGILE at best.. 100ft lbs of torque is all they are rated to hold.. the transfer case is only good for about 120 ft lbs.

toyota trannies, even the 4 cyl unit, are leaps and bounds tougher than the sammi/tracker trans.. the toyota trans looks like a SEMI trans, compared to the sammi unit..

the NV3500/3550 isnt that tough either.. i dont really care for them. so far, from my experiences, the R151 is the toughest trans of the ones we are talking about..

NV4500.. those are HUGE.. i wouldnt even consider that an option. they arent even that tough.. idk how many ive seen die behind STOCK 5.9 cummins engines..

ever wonder why they only offered the Duramax as a manual for 6 months? its because the NV4500/5600 trannies werent tough enough to deal with the duramax, long term..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #27June 16, 2012, 05:25:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 05:25:04 pm »
I will see what is in the jeep I get. Now the first problem is finding a jeep. I figured as many as were around here they would be easy to come by. All that I see is fully restored 30,000.00 types or complete junk. Hardly anything in between. Glad there is no rush on this, as I truely believe it will take a while to find what I want.

Reply #28June 17, 2012, 01:59:28 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 01:59:28 am »
by the way, I didnt mean they were built buy toyota, but that they are 90% interchangeable with the toyota units which have the adapters available.

never heard of a w52,   or a g56, I know there is a w56, w58, and a g54.

from what I know the ax15 is interchangeable with the r151 and r150, with respects to the matching transfer cases and the bellhousings required to make them run

Reply #29June 17, 2012, 12:38:54 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 12:38:54 pm »
OK,
What years Heep had the NV3500 and or the AX15? I think I will start there and work towards what ROR is saying about the Toyota deal. If the r151 is mostly the same as the AX15 it should be easier to find a bellhousing to mate up. The electronics I will all worry about later. We have no such thing as smog/e-check so lights that are on won't bother me too much if I cannot get it sorted.

Fixmyvw.com