Author Topic: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel  (Read 31982 times)

Reply #90August 25, 2013, 10:34:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2013, 10:34:25 pm »
Just keep in mind that a direct connection from outside the hood to the inside of the cylinder can be a good thing for cold air and a bad thing for dust and worst case, rain water.  Baffles, catchcan or secondary filter may be necessary to prevent bad things from happening here.

You current holey moley filter cover would need to be resealed. 

Reply #91August 30, 2013, 11:31:56 am

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:56 am »
Big big thangs been happening this week! I have been putting in lots of work! I am pretty exhausted with all of it! The half off sale at ecology is coming up on Monday, so I am going to see if I can get a few things after work. Definitely hoping to find a nice pair of legit bumpers. Also hoping for a clean mk3 console, an instrument cluster (I suppose I am aiming for a gasser cluster and I am just going to modify it so I can actually have a tach and dash lights!), some real gauges for oil pressure temp and voltage to toss in the stock stereo spot and whatever kind of little goodies I can find. I really don't like flying blind, if I can help it :/

Anywho, I ended up taking my intake and exhaust manifold off so that I could get my EGT probe installed. I forgot how big of a PITA it is to get these stock intake manifolds off! That was the main reason I decided to rip my raintray out in the first place, and it is STILL hard to get to! I ended up drilling in the collector for the two center cylinders. I figured they would be the two hottest, and the ones that should be of my primary concern.

Since I had the intake off and I want to use the stock intake as a template for parts(I will get to that in a bit), I went ahead and threw a ported 92 cabby manifold on there with a 16v throttle body adapter (just learned they are 2 piece TB's, I was just going to put a gutted TB on there for the time being!) in order to run a cone filter under my hood vent. This is just a temporary setup, but I was also interested in experimenting with it anyways. New to me!

You might notice that I bit the bullet and bypassed my heater core. The hoses were getting in my way and working in the heat made me snap, so I just went for it haha. I put an NLS block off plate on the head and a plug in the water pump. Been running my rabbit like that successfully for a while.
The other deciding factor is that I want this car to be dependable and easy to work on out on the road. I don't know how many of you have had to replace that stubby bypass hose on the side of the road...but it is hell. Particularly if you can't find the stock hose and you have to work with some universal piece (it is a tapered hose :/)

No regrets, but I am keeping everything around in case I change my mind in the winter.

Also "finished" my glowplug setup. Got 4 pieces of 10ga wire going from each glowplug to an individual fuse in that little distribution block that I picked up. I got a PM asking about that, and looked it up to see what I pulled it out of. I found it in a mid 90's saab 900. Just bent the bracket back and forth until the metal snapped and took the whole rig. I shot it right into the frame with some self drilling screws and it worked out great. I was in a hurry yesterday though and had a hell of a time with the soldering. I spliced the wires side by side and it didn't allow me to slip heat shrink over it. Now it is just this hideous glob of rubber insulators and the last of my electrical tape haha. I am going to redo them by soldering in butt splices.

On my first night drive, I remembered how pitiful the stock lighting was. I took the wiring harness I made for my headlight relays out of my rabbit since it will be out of commission for a while, and transplanted it into the jetta to save myself some work. It is amazing what getting an actual 12v+ will do for your night vision!

Once again, if curiosity strikes, this nifty little relay box came out of some sort of saab. I just have 4 standard relays crammed inside of it. I made a nice little nest for it up in front of the battery. Easy enough to get to if need be, yet out of sight. I need to get some actual h4 plugs to splice in. The old ones I had were corroded

I got most of the wires tucked away in the frame, but I aim to have them tucked proper eventually. Right now they just drop from the firewall to the frame. I pulled a lot of wires from the stock loom and re routed them in ways that I deemed more fitting for my needs. There is still so much to do!!!!!

All in all, the most exciting part is finally having my EGT setup. I had this on top of my priority list when I first finished the engine build, but got distracted within the drama. If any of you recall, I had to take the pressure regulator apart to clean it and due to a lack of gauges and such, never got the chance to do the fine tuning. Now that I have this sucker installed, I am shocked to see numbers!

crusing downhill everything looks great, going up hill under a heavy load, holy crap this thing is blowing some hot air! I am almost scared to think of how hot it must have been when I was trying to make it up the hill coming south on the grape wine after our Napa Valley trip! I almost want to take it back apart to see if anything is badly melted :(

It is not uncommon for it to shoot up over 1100 going up a hill under a full load, and I had definitely seen it go over 1200. I have read about diesels going over 1500 for brief periods of time but also read that aluminum starts melting at 1200. Great haha. I am hoping to get my pressure set and recheck my timing today. Hopefully the majority of the problem is with pump pressure. Not sure if I will need more or less advance yet.

Better to get that EGT sensor installed late than never. At least the motor is still a few thousand miles young, but yikes! That is an abusive start

Reply #92August 30, 2013, 05:57:23 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2013, 05:57:23 pm »
I know that advancing the pump timing should lower EGT's, but when I set the timing, I do believe I had it set to 0.97mm. That should be plenty of advance for an N/A motor of this nature, should it not?

I am going to recheck my timing, but I DID get the pressure set. It is nice to have all the right tools for the job now! It sure makes a difference boosting up the pressure to the desired 43.5 PSI from 5 PSI hahahahaha. That was way further off than I would have imagined! It certainly helped, but as Jeremy has already hinted, I think my timing is off somehow. I hope have good luck finding TDC on the crank with my gasser flywheel. It was easy on a stand when the head was off :/

Reply #93August 30, 2013, 06:16:22 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2013, 06:16:22 pm »
No big thing. It is right here.

Reply #94August 30, 2013, 10:35:03 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:03 pm »
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Cute :P It had been so long since I put it together, I flat out couldn't remember if there was a mark or not. There certainly was ;D A big fat statue of a park! Couldn't miss it!

Took the valve cover and belt off, retimed the engine, turned it over a couple of times and everything still lined up spot on. Went to go check the pump timing and it was like 1.4mm or something!!! I must have been off a tooth when I timed it before. I set it to just about .98 and went for a drive.....

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh buddy! THAT'S what this thing was supposed to do all along!! It is a bit loud with that much advance, but it friggin wails and EGT's are glorious. I wonder how much more mean this would feel be with my 7A tranny!....oh man....that's a whole different can of worms ;)

Reply #95August 31, 2013, 09:51:06 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2013, 09:51:06 am »
Yes that is a Gas engine flywheel showing what you will look for when finding TDC to do your diesel timing.

JUST on the left side of that bolt head over from the 6* mark.

Reply #96August 31, 2013, 01:49:31 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2013, 01:49:31 pm »
hmm. I guess I got a lucky flywheel then. Mine has a a big stud sticking off at, what I believe is, TDC. It doesn't sound like mashing valves, so it has gotta be correct. I will try to snag a picture next time I am out with the car. Sure runs great though! What an amazing difference!

Reply #97August 31, 2013, 03:32:10 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2013, 03:32:10 pm »
No sir. Those are most certainly NOT TDC. You are like 12* BTDC

Reply #98August 31, 2013, 05:08:25 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
So you mean my car is going to run even better?? Hahaha holy crap I am happy that valves aren't hitting. I literally thought you were just messing with me with that first picture you posted! Cheers dude! I am surprised it runs as well as it did that way....

Reply #99August 31, 2013, 09:18:42 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2013, 09:18:42 pm »
I got it retimed properly and once again, it runs even better. Still running the same amount of advance, yet it is much quieter. Maybe I was slapping valves :/ good lord I hope not! Mods, can we rename this thread to "Quick and easy ways to ruin a perfectly good rebuild motor"???

That was an abusive break in period  :-[ Poor thing! I bet the rings are good and seated now haha.

Reply #100September 01, 2013, 06:09:24 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2013, 06:09:24 pm »
I wonder if that is what is wrong with my mom's car. The car is so loud, even though I know I have it timed right. Stupid automatics...

Glad I read your post
Tyler

Reply #101September 02, 2013, 08:27:14 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2013, 08:27:14 am »
WoW, nice job. And congrats on getting it timed right and installing an EGT.

BTW, you mentioned
I just have 4 standard relays crammed inside of it. I made a nice little nest for it up in front of the battery. Easy enough to get to if need be, yet out of sight. I need to get some actual h4 plugs to splice in. The old ones I had were corroded

Are you saying you are running four individual relays - one for each GP?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:59:25 am by Gizmoman »
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #102September 02, 2013, 09:59:16 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:16 am »
Judging by the H4 plug comment, I'd say he meant these were for the headlights??

Just a guess though.

Reply #103September 02, 2013, 10:03:11 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2013, 10:03:11 am »
Judging by the H4 plug comment, I'd say he meant these were for the headlights??

Just a guess though.

I re-read the post and your'e correct, he was talking about the headlights.
"Could" four 40 amp relays be used for the GP's though?
I know, silly question as a single big starter relay would be better. I just happen to have four standard relays.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:07:32 am by Gizmoman »
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #104September 02, 2013, 10:06:25 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2013, 10:06:25 am »
Don't know why you would waste your time. They only pull 9-11 amps each.

One starter relay is more than sufficient.

Fixmyvw.com