Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: TDI Valve Spring Removal Tool  (Read 6377 times)

April 29, 2012, 11:29:09 pm

whoabeats

• User+

TDI Valve Spring Removal Tool
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:29:09 pm »
Hey guys this is my first thread on here. Just want to let you know that also I plan to have a nice build thread that I will start in may for my audi diesel. I promise I will try to have tons of pictures and videos cuz who doesnt like that. And I will use you guys for information and to keep me motivated and spending money.  ;D

In the mean time though I have a question about what tool most of you use to remove TDI valve springs. I need to remove all the components in the head in order to do a little porting. I have done valve springs on my truck but that tool will obviously not work on the vw. Im also open to discussions on how to make one of these. While Im still in school I have full access to a machine shop. Im thinking making my own might be the play, but if there is a cheap alternative I'll save myself some time.
Thanks

I have a diesel hot-rod addiction
97 2500 cummins 4x4 5 speed 460hp
98 AHU m-tdi being built for a car I dont own
00 ALH TDI handles like a race car, but has no balls

Reply #1April 30, 2012, 01:29:19 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
Re: TDI Valve Spring Removal Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:19 am »
I put a big deep socket on my compressor, an O2 sensor sock would be cool the help aid in the removal of the keepers

Reply #2April 30, 2012, 09:22:48 am

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:22:48 am »
I made my own.  I'll take some pics when I go back to work on Wednesday.  It was pretty easy once I found a picture of what it look like and made the job of putting the keepers back in a breeze.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #3April 30, 2012, 09:22:49 am

whoabeats

• User+

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:22:49 am »
Is your compressor the big type that stretches around the head? I was thinking something more along the lines of this. This tool may be difficult to use for upgraded valve springs but for stock ones I think it would work great. I love the magnet on it too, awesome idea.

Skip to 25secs to see the tool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zm6Xk14ldY

Reply #4April 30, 2012, 09:40:19 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:19 am »
taking apart is easy... a few layers of towels between head and solid surface... a socket on valve retainer and a hammer strike on socket pops it apart.. p.s. usually need hammer strike to get the keepers/retainers to free up..

now i use real tool to reassemble.. aka lugs bolted down via cam cap studs.. a bar between them.. and a lever piece with large holes in the sides to press down on the retainer so your finger can help getthe keepers into place.. some autozone/orilies type of places have this tool to rent..

you will require a nice flat space with a few towels and a 2nd person to hold the head flat to do this.. UNLESS you do a little fab work with 2 old headbolts, 2 nuts and say a piece of wood.. i prefer wood vs steel due to less scratching ability.. when using a real vw tool made of steel i put towels between the 2.. but that tool is nice as its held into a vice..

now ive also seen someone use a drill press to also do this.. use a side cutoff socket for finger froom for the keepers ans drill press to push down.. again.. towels to not scratch head surface..

Reply #5April 30, 2012, 12:55:44 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:44 pm »
I like my mechanical valve spring compressor that looks like a giant c-clamp, Mines got a tension clamp that holds it in the open position. I think I am going to find the right size piece of pipe and cut some access holes in it.

drill press plus this thing is GREAT

http://www.goodson.com/CF-12-125_Diameter_Valve_Spring_Adaptor/

Reply #6April 30, 2012, 05:06:16 pm

whoabeats

• User+

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:06:16 pm »
I like my mechanical valve spring compressor that looks like a giant c-clamp, Mines got a tension clamp that holds it in the open position. I think I am going to find the right size piece of pipe and cut some access holes in it.

drill press plus this thing is GREAT

http://www.goodson.com/CF-12-125_Diameter_Valve_Spring_Adaptor/

Wow I like that idea I never thought of using a drill press. That looks like something I could whip up pretty easily at the shop too.

Reply #7May 01, 2012, 01:16:03 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:16:03 pm »
i really need to snap some pics of my valve spring tool..

it works soo amazing..

and the actual piece that pushes on the top of the valve is aluminum, but alot softer than the head, so even if it slips, or rides in the lifter bore, it does absolutely no damage to the head casting..

its also got a BIG access window in the side of the aluminum pipe, plus, the aluminum pipe is ALMOST the same size as the lifter bore, for a nice fit..

i can get needle nose pliers in there and grab the keepers NO PROBLEM.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #8May 01, 2012, 03:30:44 pm

whoabeats

• User+

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »
i really need to snap some pics of my valve spring tool..

it works soo amazing..

;D
Please Please do.

Fixmyvw.com