Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: mk1 golf PD cabriolet  (Read 8167 times)

April 25, 2012, 05:00:11 am

bert

• Veteran

mk1 golf PD cabriolet
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:00:11 am »
In 2006 i changed a 1.6D mk1 golf to AAZ with good help off this forum,still got the car and still mint,now for the new project im currently working on  :P
Well a good deal popped up on ebay so on the 4th december i went to pick it up with my recovery man,a 2003 polo sport Tdi with a remapped ecu,140 bhp and lots of torque  8)
The car has had 2 owners one not too carefull   ::)  full service history,piles of invoices and reciept for the remap,and origional invoice for £13,800
The stripping has begun,im planning on fiting the engine and cable change 02R to a mk1 cabby i have with a nice body but a tired 1.8 carb engine,heres the polo

pics

I have stripped the interior out,most of the engine bay has been stripped,and the dreaded loom has been removed to be picked at, so just a running engine loom with eobd diagnostic port is left over.

Bert
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:15:02 am by bert »

Reply #1April 25, 2012, 05:04:08 am

bert

• Veteran

Re: mk1 golf PD cabriolet
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:04:08 am »
removed the front end to get to the engine with ease, came apart easily,no seized bolts  :D

heres the loom inside,like a bad smell, went everywhere,cut the loom into the roof for the lights etc...

removed the loom behind the dash,my lord theres a lot of wiring on a modern motor

theres 2 convenience modules which run most of the electronics,soon cut them out,then theres ecus for airbag abs,then canbus wiring running between all the brains for comminucation
and then the engine bay wiring i dont need like eps abs,etc

after hours with a pair of cutters i had given it a loom cut

heres the engine bay loom i had left over

now as far as i can tell it should run if all plugged back in so fitted it all together again

click pic

8)  bert

Reply #2April 25, 2012, 05:12:01 am

bert

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:12:01 am »
the polo was rapid,205 tyres and it spins them easily,now ive dumped the a/con,removed the cat,having a better flowing exhaust,fitting a smaller alternator (140A overkill now all the electrics are gone) it should feel quicker  ;)
I am going to use the polo 02R gearbox in the mk1,but go with a clutch cable instead of hydraulic and use the polo gearchange cables and selector.
got this from the bay for it, bolts to the place the hydraulic cylinder goes,just got to find a cable for it,worth a try or ill go hydraulic

Bert
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:14:16 am by bert »

Reply #3April 25, 2012, 05:16:57 am

bert

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:16:57 am »
The wiring was frightening at first,now its all trimmed down im happier,i may dump the clocks and get the ECU deimmobilised,not sure yet,then it simplifies it futher,wont need a chipped key either that way,
Been sorting alternator brackets and fan belts and alternators for a while,the a/c pump is gone and ive gone from a 140A alternator which was huge to a 70A alternator,the main power draw was the a/c fans,and the electric power steering,the 70A alt is smaller and takes less bhp to turn it too,so all good,ive got a clutch pulley to go on the alt too,
going to strip engine out of cabby soon.
I have left the engine in the polo so i can try it out wiring wise.
Bert

Reply #4April 25, 2012, 05:20:31 am

bert

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:20:31 am »
got a roll over jig so going to put the cabby on that to sort out the fuel tank,going to fit a new tank and fit an electric diesel feed pump inside,whilst im under there im going to paint the floor,renew any brake pipes that need doing etc,then it will be ready for engine fitting,
got some more bits from the bay,new alternator wiring loom for the 70A unit,got a new clutch pulley for the alternator,got a new tdi top engine cover for it as the polo one is missing,just need warmer weather to arrive as its freezing up the garage 
took bits up garage,fitted clutch pulley,trial fitted alternator to engine,brought a engine stand,engine crane,just got to crack on now  :wink:

pulley genuine off ebay, new on left old on right

alternator loom ebay genuine

top cover off ebay 10 quid new  8)

alternator on

Bert

Reply #5April 25, 2012, 05:24:26 am

bert

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 05:24:26 am »

Got the paint out and made a start on the rear wheel arch whilst the suspension is off,tidy it up a bit,this is the first coat,covers well

then the front was stripped ready for paint

Engine/gearbox wise im going to use the 02R polo tdi box,i managed to get a set of 100mm flanges to replace the 108mm ones currently fitted to it,

Also removed the dual mass flywheel and clutch and got a g60 solid flywheel and clutch for it,old one

new one

Also got a genuine timing belt kit ready to go on when the water pump is purchased  8)

Bert

Reply #6November 09, 2012, 09:18:29 am

nathantheengineer

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:18:29 am »
Looking very good, has there been any more progress?

Reply #7November 09, 2012, 08:17:06 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »
1.4 tdi thats going to be a sweet ride when she is done , i used a mk2 golf 1.3 clutch cable in my mk2 mtdi golf with the tdi box , so a mk1 1.3 clutch should work for you .its a bit longer than the gti one .
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #8April 07, 2013, 04:17:46 pm

bert

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:17:46 pm »
well lots gone on,but the thread is over here click if you want to see

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Fgolf-pd-tdi-cabby

Bert