S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Interesting.  (Read 3530 times)

April 30, 2012, 05:31:21 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

Interesting.
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »
I ask a question regarding the possible quality difference in diesel between the United States and Canada, and out of the replies that were given only 2 [maybe] 2.5 replies were actually on point.

And to add fuel to the fire, the thread I started for a simple answer to my question got locked.

Thanks.

Reply #1April 30, 2012, 06:06:13 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Interesting.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »
It wasn't your fault. If you want will remove all the bad and unlock your thread.

Reply #2April 30, 2012, 06:35:58 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:35:58 pm »
It wasn't your fault. If you want will remove all the bad and unlock your thread.

I understand that it wasn't my fault. I'm more annoyed at how easily topics get side tracked based on the simplest reply from a given member.

Granted, I did get my answer based on the question. I was merely hoping for a more ontopic response based on the discussion at hand.

Reply #3April 30, 2012, 09:02:01 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:01 pm »
I am struggling with this. I am open to suggestion on how to be more effective. I don't want to interfere too much, but at the same time don't want things to get out of hand in short order.

Reply #4May 01, 2012, 04:39:25 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 04:39:25 am »
I am struggling with this. I am open to suggestion on how to be more effective. I don't want to interfere too much, but at the same time don't want things to get out of hand in short order.

This is where tyler and vince just chuckle quietly for a moment.....damn the man ;D  Forgot how much i love this place.

Reply #5May 01, 2012, 02:43:55 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:43:55 pm »
I would say that as long as people aren't getting nasty with each other (resorting to ad-hominem attacks) then political debate is OK.

At the same time, the lack of political drama on this forum is refreshing. On the Cummins forums for example, some of the members are so far right and so eager to bring up politics, it gets old very quickly, and this is coming from my moderately conservative point of view. That kind of rhetoric from the left would get old as well.

Vangruver, the very first reply to your topic fully answered your question, which is that taxation (and maybe higher transportation costs) fully account for the price differences of diesel fuel between the U.S. and Canada (which also vary wildly between individual U.S. states).

I wouldn't really criticize anyone for derailing the thread at that point as your original question had been answered to your satisfaction, leaving the topic free to wander.

Reply #6May 01, 2012, 05:14:05 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:05 pm »
Another forum I am on has a news and politics section. If we had that I would let it go there, but not in our general section.

If that section were available you would see me a looking left to see the guys at the cummins forum as I would be probably 50 yards further right.

I don't think the problem was the question not being answered it was more he had no chance to reply or even say it was good enough until this thread. I would have re opened it if he wanted. I feel bad for locking it but it seemed it was going to go downhill fast, sorry.

Reply #7May 03, 2012, 12:23:25 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:25 pm »

I wouldn't really criticize anyone for derailing the thread at that point as your original question had been answered to your satisfaction, leaving the topic free to wander.

I beg to differ, your blanker answer was good; don't get me wrong. Truth be told, i'm sure that I wouldn't notice a difference. But it was a topic/question that was open for further discussion regarding the initial inquiry. Which was diesel quality.

My reason for questioning was simple, there is a difference in gasoline quality between Canada and the US. don't know which is better, but it's been proven by HPA motorsports, when they fuel up cars in the states for US customers and their tuning of vehicles.

I don't have the luxury of sending diesel samples from various stations to prove a significance in diesel between here or there.

So by stating that you answered my question, yes you did. But it wasn't something that was open to change towards a political debate.

Distractions and off topic banter can be had, but that wasn't a distraction, it was a complete derailment.

With that being said, hey look a squirrel.

Reply #8May 03, 2012, 01:33:30 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33:30 pm »
I beg to differ, your blanker answer was good; don't get me wrong. Truth be told, i'm sure that I wouldn't notice a difference. But it was a topic/question that was open for further discussion regarding the initial inquiry. Which was diesel quality.

My reason for questioning was simple, there is a difference in gasoline quality between Canada and the US. don't know which is better, but it's been proven by HPA motorsports, when they fuel up cars in the states for US customers and their tuning of vehicles.

I don't have the luxury of sending diesel samples from various stations to prove a significance in diesel between here or there.

So by stating that you answered my question, yes you did. But it wasn't something that was open to change towards a political debate.

Distractions and off topic banter can be had, but that wasn't a distraction, it was a complete derailment.

With that being said, hey look a squirrel.
I don't know if you're replying directly to me but I did not actually post anything in your previous thread, those posts were made by other people...

I was simply commenting on the fact that your question seemed to be answered to your satisfaction, meaning you had nothing else to say about the topic and the people who were posting then felt free to discuss subjects that were loosely related to your original issue.

You responded with
Quote from: Vangruver
good enough information for me. Thanks.
which would lead me and others to believe that your question had been fully answered to your satisfaction and you no longer wanted to discuss the topic. If you had further questions or doubts about the differences in fuel quality, which apparently you do, then you should have said so...

Or maybe I don't understand what is bothering you. Is it that other people derailed the tread? Is is that it was political? From my experience, which goes back to the usenet days, the consensus on internet forums is that derailing threads in considered impolite, but only when the original topic has not been fully answered. Once the discussion of the original topic has played itself out and a conclusion has been drawn, then it's OK to go off topic. Is that not true?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:40:17 pm by bajacalal »

Fixmyvw.com