S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: TDI high HP made manual??  (Read 5351 times)

May 21, 2006, 08:20:33 pm

mtnsammy

• Junior

TDI high HP made manual??
« on: May 21, 2006, 08:20:33 pm »
Is this guy real?  Is it this easy to get the power from a TDI?

He is selling motors to the US for under $4000 boasting up to 200 HP with a modified Injector Pump taking all the electronics out of the TDI motor. Is it that easy to modify the IP to a TDI motor? I have dozens of TDI motors I have passed on for less than $1000 because I was told I need the dash, a modified gaspedal, the entire engine wire harness, and an RPM adapter for the computer. Way to much for an off road vehicle.

Here is his site.
http://www.ultim8vw.com/

Here is the guy that turned me on to his site. My ride is not so modified but I do still have fun with it.
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,37500.0.html

Reply #1May 21, 2006, 10:25:13 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:25:13 pm »
There is almost always more than one way to do anything. Installing a TDI is no exception. There are plenty of direct injection diesels out there that run mechanical pumps but a majority of them are not in cars.

The electronics are used for many reasons including careful regulation of injection quantities for improved mileage, reduced smoke, and reduced emissions which is what makes running a catalytic converter possible. They also allow the car to maintain it's OBD 2 compliance as is mandated by the federal government for all cars model year 1996 and newer.

Removing them can simplify the installation. I don't know what RPM adapter you were told you needed, but if the swap came from a non-immobilizer car (older than 2000 model year iirc) then you would not need the instrument cluster or the column switch to make it work. The ECU could just be wired in, though you would have to retrofit the throttle position sensor as all TDI's are drive-by-wire.

200hp is possible though that is usually pushing it as the torque numbers at that power level are astronomical and most VW drivetrains would be operating on edge when you're trying to get that to the ground.

Reply #2May 25, 2006, 04:14:26 pm

macsdub

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:14:26 pm »
yea man make it mech
dont pass up the tdi's ,go "backwards " into mechanical pump land ,mine still gets mid 50s for mileage,and thats cruisin at 75-80 mph,and does lo 14's
i could see it being totally possible to make 200 hp,,but i know one thing,it aint gonna be a stock turbo
ill have to check out this dudes setup for a tdi-m,cause id like more power too :wink:
oh low 14's with a slipping clutch in 4th5th,and little 13 inch tires too,total sleeper
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Reply #3May 26, 2006, 12:13:21 am

mtnsammy

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:13:21 am »
I am just looking for reliability. I have had terrrible luck with my 1.6 and can not understand how everyone is getting great mileage and performance. I cannot find parts and everyone tells me my Euro 1.6TD Mechanical lifter motor does not exist. Any ways if the metal head gasket does not work I will probably be looking for a 1.9TDI motor next year. By then I hope to have the part numbers and know how to build one myself.  I have passed up too many in the wrecking yard because of the computer issue.

I use the VW motors in my sammy off road. When it runs it kicks over everyone I've met. The problem is keeping it running.

Reply #4May 27, 2006, 07:26:41 am

macsdub

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 07:26:41 am »
a mech engine can be fixed on the side of the road,without scratching your head looking at wires and black boxes,i think a mech tdi is the best of both worlds,as far as reliability,and power
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Reply #5May 27, 2006, 06:54:25 pm

mtnsammy

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 06:54:25 pm »
OK so has anyone collected the part numbers for the common guy to put together a pump? Is any 1.9 motor good to use or are there limits on the TDI core?  If anyone is interested in helping out with the relevant info it would make a good reference for future backyard mechanics.  Not everyone can afford to pay someone 1300 for a pump. Besides, that's what wrecking yards are for, save more for the sport.

Reply #6May 30, 2006, 11:08:22 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:08:22 pm »
ask zeroroll,  i posted them somewhere,and i forgot where,,,,(banghead)sorry,hope you dont mind.... :wink:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #7May 31, 2006, 01:45:01 pm

Ziptar

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 01:45:01 pm »
Post them here if you find them. I could use them too.

Reply #8June 02, 2006, 03:14:41 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 03:14:41 am »
Hey mtnsammy :D

It got shipped with a VNT 17 and a big intercooler, supposed to be big injectors on it, too, but the 200hp numbers are from Petr in CZ (where the motors come from, and where the pump gets built)- he says there is a Golf with this set-up running 13's.

I'll put my rig on a dyno at some point, or at least do a G-tech guesstimate.

Still getting it running.

I'm cheap, so I put in temporary intercooler piping out of 2" ABS poop-pipe. It allows me to figure out the curves/routing/fitment and then I can go get the better stuff off of Ebay and know it should come out right. Besided, the endtanks on the intercooler are ABS so how bad could it be? :D

I really like the performance details on this 130hp Passat engine. The design of the intake, the great looking flow into the head, the curving exhaust manifold to the turbo.......so much better than my old 1.9td engine.

The transmission is a Toyota W56 - the 1.9td was too much form my Suzuki trans, even mildly turned up, so a step up was needed. If I blow the W56 (the usualy 5spd in a older Toyota pickups) there is the R151 trans from the turbo Toyota pickups to try. I figure since V-8's get swapped into Toyotas they may hold up to the 200 hp diesel ok.
the 1.9TD/Suzuki w/big tires guy
visit Alaska @ www.alaska4x4network.com

Reply #9June 04, 2006, 12:01:59 am

mtnsammy

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 12:01:59 am »
DEEPMUD ya kill me. If I ever retire I am coming up to see what used to be a sammy and check out your bank in the snow. Too much time and money for me. Everyone near me still says I am a liar when I brag on your rig. I carry your web address just to prove it each time.

I still want to find a way to do the same with out CZ or any other Country. We have too much in our own wrecking yards going to waste. Not that I am a tree hugger but I hate to spend money there before here.

ANYONE FIND THOSE PART NUMBERS YET???

Reply #10June 04, 2006, 02:45:54 am

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 02:45:54 am »
Thanks for the props but Money? lol - you see my garage behind the rig - it's a b*tch to work in when it's -20 :D I have more in my engine than a lot of Zuks but I'm still cheap don't worry  :lol:

If you find a TDI for a good deal try to get a pump from an IDI 1.9td - it takes longer but if you supply a good core he can cut the cost on the hybrid pump a lot.

Reply #11June 05, 2006, 07:40:53 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 07:40:53 am »
Deepmud,

Any details on how the the VNT-17 is controlled mechanically?? Pics??

I'm real interested in how it was done.

Reply #12June 05, 2006, 05:24:51 pm

deepmud

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 05:24:51 pm »

"is controlled" is a bit loose of a term yet, at least in my case - I haven't started the beast yet. Getting close. Petr says this is how they do it in CZ - the part looks factory, fits right on. The range of movent in this controller is lless than the total range of the VNT - but I don't have a vacuum controller to compare it to, so maybe it's normal. It should be easy to adjust -- it has a little knurled nut to set whereever I want.