S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: EGT probe for my EcoDiesel  (Read 15946 times)

Reply #45April 12, 2012, 04:35:20 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
Re: EGT probe for my EcoDiesel
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 04:35:20 pm »
My 89 golf has the ASF, its a gas GL, same trans as the ACN I believe, 3.67 and .75 are final and fifth

Reply #46April 12, 2012, 04:53:07 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:07 pm »
got a handle on an asf for 200. do they have the green seals?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #47April 12, 2012, 08:00:34 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 08:00:34 pm »
they should have the new seals, I thought the green sleeves were to modify the old to the new,

Reply #48April 13, 2012, 08:37:32 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:32 am »
Several members highly recommend the probe from aircraftspruce.com   
Surprisingly inexpensive considering the praise it gets. I haven't tried one myself, but I think the next one I need, I will try one.
As for the location, you want to put in the manifold just before turbo, like so:

There's a small flat spot on the bottom that works nicely.

My EGT probe from Auber Instr is due to arrive today or tomorrow. Do you know if I there is enough access to drill the bottom of the exhaust manifold with the manifold/ turbo in place on an Ecodiesel? The bolts on the turbo are really rusted and difficult to access and I would not even attempt pulling the turbo. I haven't crawled under the car to have a look yet.

Reply #49April 13, 2012, 07:55:19 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »
I imagine you can drill it out in the car, sure. If I remember correctly there should be enough room to stick a drill between the downpipe and oil drain line, and of course the axle (though you may have to remove the axle, I really dunno for sure). I would be more worried about the tapping / welding. I welded a special hollow bolt on for mine, which I suppose could be done without removing the mani, but if you're going to tap it manually, I would be worried about clearance of the tap handle around the downpipe and oil drain line, and keeping it all straight. Using a drill to tap shouldn't be an issue, if you got it drilled in the first place.
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #50April 13, 2012, 10:12:02 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12:02 pm »
I imagine you can drill it out in the car, sure. If I remember correctly there should be enough room to stick a drill between the downpipe and oil drain line, and of course the axle (though you may have to remove the axle, I really dunno for sure). I would be more worried about the tapping / welding. I welded a special hollow bolt on for mine, which I suppose could be done without removing the mani, but if you're going to tap it manually, I would be worried about clearance of the tap handle around the downpipe and oil drain line, and keeping it all straight. Using a drill to tap shouldn't be an issue, if you got it drilled in the first place.

I crawled under and took a look. If the axle is removed , there would be room to get a drill in there. What do you think is less work? Pulling the axle (have not done it before) and drill and tap from below? or pull inlet manifold and turbo/ exhaust manifold and drill and tap on the bench? I have done a head gasket job last summer so should not have any rusted nuts and bolts issues. Should have drilled ad tapped it when the head was off but I was in a rush to get the job done and forgot about it.

Reply #51April 13, 2012, 11:15:55 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15:55 pm »

I crawled under and took a look. If the axle is removed , there would be room to get a drill in there. What do you think is less work? Pulling the axle (have not done it before) and drill and tap from below? or pull inlet manifold and turbo/ exhaust manifold and drill and tap on the bench? I have done a head gasket job last summer so should not have any rusted nuts and bolts issues. Should have drilled ad tapped it when the head was off but I was in a rush to get the job done and forgot about it.

pass axle is CAKE to remove. dont even have to separate the ball joint from the a-arm.. just comes out..

BE 100% sure to torque the BIG AXLE NUT to ~190 ft lbs..

if you dont torque the nut enough, or torque it too tight, it will mess up your wheel bearing.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #52April 14, 2012, 01:20:40 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »
id pull the axle. GO to napa and get the 12 point searated bit to remove the bolts it 5 bucks. a 30mm on the axle nut some blaster on the spline a soft hammer and it slides right out. voila space to drill.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #53April 14, 2012, 01:23:58 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 01:23:58 pm »
bit is 8mm XZN triple square (double hex)

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #54April 14, 2012, 01:32:27 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 01:32:27 pm »
yea forgot to put 8mm. but napa calls it a serated bit.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #55April 14, 2012, 01:35:52 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 01:35:52 pm »
on the td engine I'm freshing up on the engine stand right now I want to drill and tap it while its easy and just put a bolt in it until I have the extra money for the guage. what size tap should I use?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #56April 14, 2012, 01:50:28 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 01:50:28 pm »
on the td engine I'm freshing up on the engine stand right now I want to drill and tap it while its easy and just put a bolt in it until I have the extra money for the guage. what size tap should I use?

i wouldnt tap it till you know what size it needs to be..

not all pyro probes have the same size standard fitting..

so, to be safe, and avoid issues, just wait to drill, or buy your probe, and install it as the plug for the hole. you dont have to hook it up, leave the gauge wires un hooked, tucked safely out of the way..

the probe is cheap. the gauge is the spendy part.

Reply #57April 14, 2012, 02:46:50 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »
aircraft spruce micro 1000 all the way
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #58April 14, 2012, 03:02:18 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2012, 03:02:18 pm »
aircraft spruce micro 1000 all the way

If you get the micro 1000 EP132 EGT Probe, it is 1/8 NPT, same as my Auber Instr exposed junction fast response probe. The 1/8 NPT is for a compression fitting which allows adjusting the depth of the probe.

Reply #59April 19, 2012, 03:24:51 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »

pass axle is CAKE to remove. dont even have to separate the ball joint from the a-arm.. just comes out..

BE 100% sure to torque the BIG AXLE NUT to ~190 ft lbs..

if you dont torque the nut enough, or torque it too tight, it will mess up your wheel bearing.

Have to remove the pinch bolt on the ball joint to separate it from the wheel bearing knuckle? Is the ball joint shaft splined? Do I need to mark it so it goes back together the same?

S-PAutomotive.com