S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: EGT probe for my EcoDiesel  (Read 15792 times)

Reply #15April 08, 2012, 08:32:15 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: EGT probe for my EcoDiesel
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 08:32:15 pm »
regarding highway engine speed, I like the gearing because I can get the boost up when I need it.  If I am under 2500rpm it is best to down shift.

Ahh yes, optimal gearing is best determined where your engine makes its torque (ie. builds boost).. For a T3/K24 you would want a trans that is keeping that boost up a little bit, so for that you would need higher rpms and thus a lower geared transmission. However for a smaller k14 or even a k03 the highest gearing possible is best because they build boost damn near at idle.

Reply #16April 08, 2012, 09:20:35 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 09:20:35 pm »
Several members highly recommend the probe from aircraftspruce.com   
Surprisingly inexpensive considering the praise it gets. I haven't tried one myself, but I think the next one I need, I will try one.
As for the location, you want to put in the manifold just before turbo, like so:

There's a small flat spot on the bottom that works nicely.

Is this the one from Aircraftspruce? "Non welded construction, space age technolgy". Anyone know what that's about? Is it still alumel /chromel or some other metals?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/unkprobe.php

"The model MM-111 probe (type K) is applicable to any type of aircraft exhaust gas temperature indicator that uses type K thermocouple as its electrical source. The MM-111 is designed to universally replace all chromel alumel (type K) thermocouples regardless of manufacturer or design. The Universal MM-111 probe is FAA/PMA approved.

With the Universal MM-111 probe you receive the benefits of unique, non-welded construction utilizing a new, exclusive, space-age technology. This assures you thousands of hours of trouble-free operation. The faster, almost immediate response to temperature changes results in better control of engine performance. Installation is simple and requires no welding or special tools. The MM-111 offers superior performance at a reasonable price."

Reply #17April 08, 2012, 09:27:00 pm

EcoTX

• Junior

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 09:27:00 pm »
The one everyone recommends on here is the Micro-1000

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/micro1pyroprobes.php

Reply #18April 08, 2012, 09:32:41 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:41 pm »
I ran the Gov mod in my Ecodiesel and it was fun for a little while, but my mileage dropped to around 41-42 mpg no matter how I drove it and I was only getting around 600 miles per 14-15 gallon fillup consistently for 5-6 tanks. The mileage hit and along with all the soot it was blowing just wasn't worth the extra power to me so I'm back to slow and steady Ecodiesel.  It's like a completely different car again without all that fuel being dumped in.  I replaced my injectors yesterday and the nozzles and heatshields had tons of carbon buildup on them, that was only about 2500 miles with the gov mod.  I had a modified 8mm socket ground down and had mine completely shimmed, I put the stock spring back in and got it dialed in and I can already see those consistent 48-50 mpg tanks coming back.  The governor mod wasn't for me, just wasn't worth the hit in mileage that I was spoiled with in stock form.  I don't mind sacrificing power for 8-10 more MPG's, but that is just my opinion.

Isn't the Ecodiesl EPA rated at 43 mpg hwy? 48-50 mpg! You are doing much better than EPA! Is it pretty flat where you are? Without the gov mod, at how many miles are you filling up? 700?

I shimmed mine with a 2.5 mm thick stainless steel nut. I had 2 nuts at first for a total of 5.5 mm, for all practical purposes, a solid shim. I had a lot of trouble getting the C clip on and decided to go with only one nut (2.5 mm) before installing it in the pump. I wonder what difference a 2.5 mm shim is compared to a solid shim as far as the fuel mapping.

Here's a pic of my 2.5 mm shimmed governor.

Reply #19April 08, 2012, 09:42:55 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 09:42:55 pm »
The one everyone recommends on here is the Micro-1000

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/micro1pyroprobes.php

Thanks! Would this  EP132 EGT Probe (1/8 NPT)   10-01478   $38.85    be the best choice to go with the Auber Instrument electronic EGT gauge?

Reply #20April 08, 2012, 09:51:53 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 09:51:53 pm »
I wonder what difference a 2.5 mm shim is compared to a solid shim as far as the fuel mapping.

I have run a solid shim on a 1.6NA, 1.6TD and 1.9M-TDI. All three in the same car, all three capable of high 40's to 50+ mpg.

Reply #21April 08, 2012, 09:56:41 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »
I wonder what difference a 2.5 mm shim is compared to a solid shim as far as the fuel mapping.

I have run a solid shim on a 1.6NA, 1.6TD and 1.9M-TDI. All three in the same car, all three capable of high 40's to 50+ mpg.

Aren't them Canadian miles different than US miles?

Reply #22April 08, 2012, 10:02:50 pm

EcoTX

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
It is very flat (TX)  lol and diesels usually beat EPA figures, especially after broken in and on the highway.  My tanks are 90% highway, 55-60 mph so that's how I pick up those extra mpg's.  You won't see me flying 80-85 like most people do since most of the speed limits are 75 mph now on the interstates here.  When my dad drove this car, he would drive 75-80 and he was getting around 500 miles per tank he said.  He didn't take the 5-10 minutes to fill it to the absolute top though like I do.

One of my best tanks was in September of last year, 745 miles on 14-14.5 gallons.  Having a tailwind for a lot of those miles def helped too...I'm working on a 800 mile tank hopefully soon.  You have to be around 500 miles for half a tank to make it though, cause that 2nd half goes a lot quicker than the first since you have more in the first half tank.

Here I was around half a tank...

And then sitting at the pump showing my last fuel receipt...

Hopefully I'll start getting these tank averages back now that my car is a diesel-sipping snail again!  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:04:41 pm by EcoTX »

Reply #23April 08, 2012, 10:07:23 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »

Them Canuck miles be called keelomeetors b'y. LoL. I obviously converted for you because you live in Amurrrrrkah. 5L/100km = 50mpg. I averaged anywhere between 5L/100km and 5.5L/100km on all three engines with solid governors. (43mpg and 50mpg respectively.)

Reply #24April 08, 2012, 10:12:59 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:59 pm »

Them Canuck miles be called keelomeetors b'y. LoL. I obviously converted for you because you live in Amurrrrrkah. 5L/100km = 50mpg. I averaged anywhere between 5L/100km and 5.5L/100km on all three engines with solid governors. (43mpg and 50mpg respectively.)

OK, so what's the difference between a solid governor and a 2.5 mm shimmed main spring? I can't see that much difference until the throttle is maxed out pedal to the medal.

Reply #25April 08, 2012, 10:16:34 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 10:16:34 pm »
OK, so what's the difference between a solid governor and a 2.5 mm shimmed main spring? I can't see that much difference until the throttle is maxed out pedal to the medal.

Probably nothing, except I guess having more control over the fueling with your foot as opposed to the spring being able to move? If I could still maintain the same mileage from before I did the modification, then it did nothing fuel consumption wise.

Reply #26April 08, 2012, 10:35:28 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:28 pm »
so Ive got to ask,

what this does is make it where it will go accelerate FASTER at high RPM until you hit max RPM, while without it takes a while to gain RPM the higher you are currently?

Reply #27April 08, 2012, 10:36:48 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:48 pm »
That's awesome what you're getting on miles per tank. I can't drive that slow around here on the Merritt pkwy and I 95- it's outright dangerous because some of the crazy bastards will run you off the road!  ;D I try to stay with traffic which is 65 mph.

I generally fill up at somewhere between 550 to 600 miles. I run on WVO (2 tank system) and I can't check mpg that accurately  since I don't have a way to measure the fuel when I fill up (I use the stock tank for VO). But since the governor mod I think my mpg has gotten better judging by where the fuel gauge is (currently 1/4 tank) relative to number of miles (currently 500). It would normally be closer to the red mark at 500 w/o the gov mod. What I find with the gov mod is that I don't have to down shift as often and still maintain the same steady speed, and I think that is contributing to better fuel economy. I'm still on my first tank since the gov mod. I need to drive a few more tanks to better judge if I am actually getting better mpg.

It is very flat (TX)  lol and diesels usually beat EPA figures, especially after broken in and on the highway.  My tanks are 90% highway, 55-60 mph so that's how I pick up those extra mpg's.  You won't see me flying 80-85 like most people do since most of the speed limits are 75 mph now on the interstates here.  When my dad drove this car, he would drive 75-80 and he was getting around 500 miles per tank he said.  He didn't take the 5-10 minutes to fill it to the absolute top though like I do.

One of my best tanks was in September of last year, 745 miles on 14-14.5 gallons.  Having a tailwind for a lot of those miles def helped too...I'm working on a 800 mile tank hopefully soon.  You have to be around 500 miles for half a tank to make it though, cause that 2nd half goes a lot quicker than the first since you have more in the first half tank.

Here I was around half a tank...

And then sitting at the pump showing my last fuel receipt...

Hopefully I'll start getting these tank averages back now that my car is a diesel-sipping snail again!  :)

Reply #28April 08, 2012, 10:54:57 pm

EcoTX

• Junior

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 10:54:57 pm »
it's outright dangerous because some of the crazy bastards will run you off the road!

Here as long as you stay in the right or right-most lane you are fine.  That is where the slower traffic is supposed to drive after all, while faster / passing traffic uses the left most lane.

I've never been honked at for driving 15-20 under in the slow lane, and have had cops and state troopers pass me without trouble as well.  If someone has a problem with how slow I am driving they can easily go around.

If I'm on a 2 lane road with a shoulder, I will scoot over in the shoulder and let people pass when they get to me.  It's just about being a courteous and friendly driver really.

I always thought it would be neat to run SVO and not have to worry about filtering / contaminants / hassle of WVO, but I haven't put much effort towards the idea. 
SVO at Sam's Club is around 5-6 bucks a gallon which I reckon would be a lot cheaper buying it in bulk of course.  If I could find out where to get 55 gallon drums or more at something like 1-2 dollars a gallon, I would seriously try running SVO.

Reply #29April 08, 2012, 11:58:30 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »

I always thought it would be neat to run SVO and not have to worry about filtering / contaminants / hassle of WVO, but I haven't put much effort towards the idea. 
SVO at Sam's Club is around 5-6 bucks a gallon which I reckon would be a lot cheaper buying it in bulk of course.  If I could find out where to get 55 gallon drums or more at something like 1-2 dollars a gallon, I would seriously try running SVO.

VO IS neat but filtering comes with the territory. Most people that run on WVO do not filter well enough judging from the filter life that they are getting. One possible way to find VO for $1 to $2 per gallon that does not require filtering is food grade VO that's expired.

Fixmyvw.com