Author Topic: help needed near London ON ? Oil Light blinks 2K+rpm and engine noi  (Read 4244 times)

March 10, 2012, 12:52:02 pm

london96td

• User+

Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums and can't say how much help it has been being a member along with all the help and information I've received. Thanks again.

I have a new problem on hand. Last saturday I did an oil change and since it's currently winter I paid someone to do it with my own oil, and my own filter. After it was changed I noticed that it was above the crossed marks on the dipstick so I promptly returned to the guy and we brought it back to the level.

My latest issue is that on Friday I was driving to and from work and both times the oil light came on and started flashing and beeping. The light turned off once I let lose on the throttle. This happened around 2100 or so rpm. This morning it did the same thing but before the engine was making a whining noise.. this is something which I'm very concerned about since I need the vehicle to get to work which is 30 minutes away. But I don't want to drive it if there's going to be damage. I checked the dipstick and oil is where it should be.

Due to recently coming off a long layoff I can't exactly dish out the cash to have a dealer take a look and I don't know the know how when it comes to cars. I'm wondering if there's anyone who is close by who can drive it or have a look and possibly come up with a diagnosis of the problem. I forgot to mention i also repaced the sensor which is located above the filter housing as it was leaking.

Any help would be appreciated and even though I can't afford to pay for dealer costs, i would be more than glad to treat you to dinner or pay you a sum of money for your services.. Thanks again.

Reply #1March 10, 2012, 01:00:40 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #2March 10, 2012, 01:04:39 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: help needed near London ON ? Oil Light blinks 2K+rpm and engine noi
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:04:39 pm »
I would see 2 things that jump at me. The sensor on the filter flange you replaced could have been the wrong one. There are a couple different sensors and cause problems if mixed up. The other sensor maybe a culprit as well. So there is something to check.
The second thing is the filter used. I used to use a fram PH3569 *NEVER USE FRAM I WAS YOUNGER AND MORE DUMBERER THEN*, and it was ok but expensive locally. I tried other filters that were a Direct Cross to it and they were not a direct swap. The filter said it would work but it made similar buzzing noises you described. I went to only using the Mahle filter since and have never had any issues at all. Might help if you are not using a Mahle or VW filter to spin one on and check it out.

Whatever Vince said too.

Reply #3March 10, 2012, 03:15:24 pm

london96td

• User+

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:15:24 pm »
I used a Mann filter along with 5w40 sell t6 diesel oil.. It still does not explain why the engine is making a whining noise. I don't have an oil pressure guage but am willing to go spend on one if the price is not too steep. Is there anyone in London Ontario or near London Ontario that can lend a hand? Also where do I connect this oil pressure guage? Is it where the sensor is on the oil filter housing?

Thanks

Reply #4March 11, 2012, 03:37:55 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:37:55 am »
Do you have brakes and the vacuum assist?

The noise sounds scary, I would definately have a manual oil gage on my car just to see whats going on.

I wonder if your oil/vacuum pump and intermediate shaft aren't mating up correctly.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #5March 11, 2012, 08:07:30 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:07:30 am »
I'd be tempted to pop out the sensor on the end of the head and crank the engine over to make sure you have oil pressure.  Because of the whining noise. Other than that I'd have been looking at the sensor you changed. Is the noise an electrical thing that may have been set off by the sensor? like a buzzer in the cab?

Reply #6March 11, 2012, 09:54:32 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:54:32 am »
Because it is happening right at 2000, i would suspect the high pressure oil sensor as well. The one on the oil filter is the high pressure, and the side of the head is the low pressure pressure. If you are going to get a cheap/inexpensive mechanical gauge i would just go to a TSC or crap tire.. you could even make one out of an air pressure gauge if it is all you can get. From this mechanical gauge it is usually well accepted to put the gauge in the head as opposed to the filter flange .. You will see the lowest psi  at the head, and will give you the best warning if something goes wrong.

Reply #7March 11, 2012, 10:00:52 am

london96td

• User+

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:00:52 am »
Thanks allot everyone for your help. It is really really appreciated. I'm going to go and purchase an oil gauge from princess auto as soon as it opens this morning.

The noise is coming from the top back of the motor, around the turbo area and gets louder as the engine warms up. It's like a whining (spelling?) noise which goes up and whines down as engine is revved. I know it's not the noise of when a turbo spools up.. I'm charging the battery on my digital camera right now so will post up a quick short video of the noise.

Since this is my primary vehicle I'm extremely stressed out at this point since my work is 30 minutes out of town.

The things which have been done in the past 5 or so months since I've owned the vehicle. Had the timing belt changed by a local vw shop here in london. After this my alternator pulley went and I was charged $238 which I think is absolutely rediculous to change the pulley.. by same shop that did the alternator. It seems as tho I'm going back to this shop on a monthly basis for work.. which leads me to believe that maybe they did something to the car so I keep going back.. and since there's no other place in London that I know which works on vw's specially diesel.. I'm somewhat screwed.  :-[

Thanks again everyone for the help. I shall post a video up shortly of the noise I'm hearing.

Reply #8March 11, 2012, 01:13:50 pm

london96td

• User+

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:50 pm »
Here is a video of the noise when the car is on. The noise can be heard pretty much at any rpm now and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the diesel pump area.. I still don't know why my oil light would come on and buzz though. I purchased an oil gauge from princess auto for 6.99 and am about to give'r a go and see what's going on.

http://youtu.be/3a-4Z7jpj18

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Reply #9March 11, 2012, 06:18:44 pm

london96td

• User+

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:18:44 pm »
I've gone ahead and installed a pressure guage to the engine via the port above the oil filter. I have about 18-20 psi so I don't think that's the problem. I've put a screw driver on the pump and the other end against my ear as suggested in another post and I can hear the noise more on the diesel pump than the engine. Any help would be really appreciated at this point. I am wondering if the pump can be repaired and replaced by myself to save costs. How hard is it if it is infact the pump. Thanks

Reply #10March 11, 2012, 06:23:31 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »
Is that 18 psi cold or hot? What's the pressure at 3k rpm? Do you have an AAZ? Do you have a tach? Check the W terminal at the alt. Did they give you a clutched alt pulley? If your pressure is good, I would suspect an alternator issue, as that is what the dynamic oil pressure warning system uses to get an rpm signal from.

P.S I'm originally from London. If I was going back to see my parents anytime soon I would help you out. Unfortunately it will be a while before I head out that way,  :-[
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:26:59 pm by rallydiesel »
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #11March 11, 2012, 06:31:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:31:04 pm »
just listened to the video briefly. Sounds like something going on in the pump or turbo. I would thing pump more as it seemed RPM related not like a turbo would. I would search out and find a spare pump soon. Maybe run some Lubro moly diesel purge. If it is a worn pump issure the diesel purge will not help.

Reply #12March 11, 2012, 06:40:16 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 06:40:16 pm »
18-20 psi

Yup... the important thing is... at what RPM and what temp??  :)

Per the HOW-TO the sensors transition at around 2000 RPM... which interestingly enough is when you're hearing the buzzer.   :)

My suggestion: get the engine good and hot... go for a spirited drive... and then measure the oil pressure at 2000 RPM so that you can compare it with the spec in the HOW-TO.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #13March 11, 2012, 06:56:27 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 06:56:27 pm »
Sounds like 2 things, a bad exhaust leak (pre turbo?) and a bearing somewhere, alternator? maube timeing belt tensioner? Don't like it whatever it is.

Reply #14March 11, 2012, 10:11:01 pm

london96td

• User+

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »
Well, this is the thing, I had the timing belt done about 12,000km ago (3 months) and all was fine.. then suddenly the alternator pulley started to go so the shop that did the timing belt also did the clutched pulley change for me.. and charged me $238 for it which I was not happy about..  and now this new issue. I have a mechanic friend who worked on my 2.0 golf previously and kept things in tip top shape before my accident.. but he won't do anything with the diesel. He told me that it's a possibility that the shop which did my timing belt had it too tight. Could this have lead to the failure of these parts? such as the alternator pulley and now the funky noise?

As for the oil light and buzzing.. it only comes on between 2100-2300 rpmish.. if I rev the engine it goes away and also when the engine is bellow 2000 rpm.

Thankfully I have a ride from my folks to and from work tomorrow which is 30 minutes away..

What really worries me is the sound which can be heard in the video.

BTW thanks to everyone who is helping out with trying to diagnose this issue. As a poor apprentice it is very much appreciated.

Fixmyvw.com