Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: why no boost?  (Read 3807 times)

Reply #15March 01, 2012, 10:29:53 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: why no boost?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 10:29:53 am »
it goes now pretty good, after ~17psi I don't feel much change in power.  i notice that the EGT drops when the boost hits which is nice.

thats because your turbo is pushing more air than needed.. if you have marginal fueling, and lots of boost, it will make less power that way, rather than having decent fueling, and marginal fueling..

if you havent cranked up your fuel screw, then i would back the boost down to about 12-13 psi.. there is absolutely no reason to run that much boost to an engine with stock fueling..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16March 03, 2012, 01:27:14 am

pointynoggin

• Junior

Re: why no boost?
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 01:27:14 am »
There is a Giles pump in it he set to work at 15psi and the performance is good till ~18psi.

I think that the problem with the boost controller was that it could vent enough for the wastgate to see a lower pressure.  When I disconnected the controller from where I tapped off the waste gate line I left the 1/8 barb open I got up to 12psi.

I am thinking what i need to do is choke the waste gate line upstream of the controller.  The tee that came with it has a check valve in it which I thought was for the vacuum of a gas engine. 
1991 Jetta 1.6TD, Giles Superpump,

S-PAutomotive.com