General Information > Troubleshooting

Injection Pump leaking

(1/6) > >>

slavik19:
hey guys i have a mk1 style 1.6d injection pump.
it recently started leaking the engine sat for a while.
it prob never been rebuilt.

i cant afford to have it rebuilt.
i cant figure out where its leaking from.
drop of fuel every 2 secs.
and its getting worst.
what seals to check for? why is it leaking?

looks like its coming out the side where the fuel lines are connected.
i checked all the fuel lines and other bolts all tight.
can i fix this myself?

ORCoaster:
slavik19  to answer your question- can i fix this myself?  Yes, there is a kit that replaces all the internal o rings and gaskets and you need to get the front seal as well.  This site has a great pictorial on what it is you need to do when rebuilding the pump.  Read the pictorial and order up the parts from any of the many online places out there.  Fix is like 50 bucks total if I remember correctly.

DAS

slavik19:
found the link
http://crustycrank.com/resealinjpump.htm#injpump

this is prob the seal thats bad in my pump

ORCoaster:
Easy peasy fix.  Some folks have even done it on the car.  It is a matter of getting the pump to come apart enough to slide the o ring on the outside of the pump without actually taking the pump completely apart.  There are four bolts that hold the corners on and you loosen them all but don't let the pump come apart. 

Then take a bolt out all the way. slip behind the o ring with a piece of hooked rod or a thin screwdriver and stretch it out enough to get the bolt back in.  Go around all corners until the bad o ring is on the outside of the pump and roll it back and off. 

New O rings will be stiffer and some tape the outside of the pump with masking tape or duct tape to protect the new ring.  Install is in reverse.  One thing you do have to do is find a longer bolt that goes in the middle of the pump where the plug is.  That plug comes out and you install a gauge to measure the throw of the piston to time the engine.  But in this case you want to be able to put some pressure on the end of the piston to hold it in place otherwise when you release the pressure when you back off the pump head all the internals come apart.  Not a good thing.  Then you are forced to remove the pump from the car and really have a big rebuild to do.

Sliding the o ring off is doable by anyone with the proper precautions.  Search the thread I think someone had this discussion going just a bit ago.

Do it, that diesel really is hard to get rid of out of the concrete driveway.  And if blacktop it eats it away.

Baron VonZeppelin:
I've done 3 or 4 of those "on the car" without removing the Inj Pump.
You can buy just that O-Ring from a Bosch Certified diesel repair shop.
$2-3-4 iirc, and it will be green.

There is more to be known to do a fool-proof job on this than what is included within that tutorial you linked. But that is a good general basis to start with.

I walked Steevz through the finer points in one of his recent threads, in conjunction with the crustycrank tutorial. Shouldn't take too long to find it.
Either here in T-shooting section or IDI section.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version