Author Topic: Performance exhaust  (Read 4230 times)

Reply #15February 17, 2012, 12:08:06 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
Re: Re: Re: Performance exhaust
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 12:08:06 pm »
Unless ur making stupid power that tectonics should be plenty

I have a stock 1.6td. I am pretty sure i need the full 3inch exhaust. lol

Oh and i have a 1990 GOLF.

if you have a stock cast downpipe, you could put a 12" exhaust on your engine, and it would perform no better..

I mentioned a couple times I have a 3inch down pipe. :D

Sent from my DROID X2

Reply #16February 17, 2012, 01:50:13 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Re: Re: Performance exhaust
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 01:50:13 pm »
Unless ur making stupid power that tectonics should be plenty

I have a stock 1.6td. I am pretty sure i need the full 3inch exhaust. lol

Oh and i have a 1990 GOLF.

if you have a stock cast downpipe, you could put a 12" exhaust on your engine, and it would perform no better..

I mentioned a couple times I have a 3inch down pipe. :D

Sent from my DROID X2

thats why i said IF, and not BECAUSE..

but still, i stand by what he says.. 3" is pointless on a stock engine for 2 reasons..

for one, its way overkill, you will see little, if any gains..

for 2, its way hard to route under a old VW..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17February 17, 2012, 02:01:10 pm

belchfire

• Junior

Re: Performance exhaust
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »
I built a 2.5" downpipe and I can barely get the bolts in the flange. How do you do it with 3 ? Also, the port on the turbo isn't that big so is 3" really that much of an advantage? Obviously you've made it work so good for you. Unless your driving on a perfectly smooth race track, speed bumps, rocks, squirrels will soon enough flatten your pipe. I've got 2.5 back to the muffler and it's a press fit between the shift shaft and the tunnel. Still gets clanged occasionally. I've got 2" after the muffler on the theory that the gases have cooled and the velocity isn't as great. Also it's what I had on hand. Seems to spool up quick enough, but I have nothing else to compare it to so I don't know if it could be better.
The Owl of Minerva flies at dusk
'81 rabbit pick up  1.6 turbo diesel  SVO

Reply #18February 17, 2012, 04:02:54 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 04:02:54 pm »
I understand that 3inches is overkill. It doesn't bother me. I like the dodge ram exhaust. I will look around and see if I can't find one of those in the JY or perhaps something similar. I notice the BMW 735's have pretty big exhausts and I have three of those pos laying around.

When I shift into second and 4th My shifter hits the down pipe but it still works fine.

Reply #19February 17, 2012, 04:22:18 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:18 pm »
I understand that 3inches is overkill. It doesn't bother me. I like the dodge ram exhaust. I will look around and see if I can't find one of those in the JY or perhaps something similar. I notice the BMW 735's have pretty big exhausts and I have three of those pos laying around.

When I shift into second and 4th My shifter hits the down pipe but it still works fine.

you have a VOLKSWAGEN, not a VOLVO 745 turbo diesel.. he was talking about using the dodge exhaust on his volvo.. i doubt it would even come close to fitting a VW, and even if it did, it would exit on the wrong side.. so, try again..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #20February 17, 2012, 05:30:34 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 05:30:34 pm »

you have a VOLKSWAGEN, not a VOLVO 745 turbo diesel.. he was talking about using the dodge exhaust on his volvo.. i doubt it would even come close to fitting a VW, and even if it did, it would exit on the wrong side.. so, try again..
Do you really think it was a bolt on to the Volvo???
If I wanted it out the other side, I'd have flipped the final bend the other way.  I think I cut the pipe in 5 pieces, and there is a seam at either end of each muffler.

If I were doing it on my caddy, i'd ovalize the tube to about 2"

Reply #21February 17, 2012, 05:49:11 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:11 pm »

Umadbro?

Obv the Dodge exhaust wouldn't be bolt on... However it may be a cheap source of 3 inch pipe.
I'm going to have to send a stern email to the guy who sold me this Volkswagen saying it was a Volvo...

Reply #22February 17, 2012, 05:55:29 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 05:55:29 pm »

Umadbro?

Obv the Dodge exhaust wouldn't be bolt on... However it may be a cheap source of 3 inch pipe.
I'm going to have to send a stern email to the guy who sold me this Volkswagen saying it was a Volvo...

why does everyone think im always mad when i post something that had a few words capitalized?

i use LOTS OF OBSCENITIES when im mad.. you guys have never even seen me mad..

i was simply stating that your car, and his car, are different..

and where did the whole "BOLT ON" thing come from? i said nothing about bolting anything on..

and 745 never stated that he cut the exhaust up.. i assumed he used a dodge exhaust system on his volvo, or atleast the rear half of a dodge exhaust.. i could see that much working, because the volvo is RWD, like the dodge..

FWIW, you can take ANY exhaust system (ford, chevy, honda, toyota, peugeot) and cut it up, and make it fit on any car, if you really wanted to..

Reply #23February 17, 2012, 05:58:36 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 05:58:36 pm »

why does everyone think im always mad when i post something that had a few words capitalized?

and where did the whole "BOLT ON" thing come from? i said nothing about bolting anything on..

and 745 never stated that he cut the exhaust up.. i assumed he used a dodge exhaust system on his volvo, or atleast the rear half of a dodge exhaust.. i could see that much working, because the volvo is RWD, like the dodge..

FWIW, you can take ANY exhaust system (ford, chevy, honda, toyota, peugeot) and cut it up, and make it fit on any car, if you really wanted to..

Right... What other cars come stock with a 3inch exhaust? Preferably cars I can most likely find in Junkyards. The more I think about it the more I think it's unlikely I'll find a hemi truck sitting in any local yards.

Reply #24February 17, 2012, 06:07:46 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 06:07:46 pm »

Right... What other cars come stock with a 3inch exhaust? Preferably cars I can most likely find in Junkyards. The more I think about it the more I think it's unlikely I'll find a hemi truck sitting in any local yards.

any diesel pickup came with decent sized exhaust, even the ANCIENT ford IDIs had rather large exhaust..

Reply #25February 17, 2012, 07:23:32 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 07:23:32 pm »
Bigblock stuff and Camaros often have 3".  I chose the one I did because it was sitting in the back of a van at Pick n Pull, and looked like a lot of nice 3" pipe for $30
Newer stuff has much smoother bends.

I might have been able to make the Dodge pipe work, but I wanted some muffler, and factory hangars.
It probably took 4 hours  to make it fit as snug as it could, and never rub on the car.
It does scrape a little on the dirt roads  if I get careless, but it's built to take it.

Reply #26February 17, 2012, 11:52:08 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 11:52:08 pm »
2.5" mandrel-bent pre-made sections (Ebay) a flex pipe, and a Magnaflow. Nice to have only a short run, it went together amazingly fast, considering I was pretty rusty at welding.

JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

S-PAutomotive.com