Author Topic: The difference between 1.6NA and 1.6TD pumps.  (Read 3348 times)

February 05, 2012, 06:09:49 pm

8v-of-fury

The difference between 1.6NA and 1.6TD pumps.
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:09:49 pm »
Other than the lid being stupid obvious, what is different about the actual pump bodies?

I have had two open side by side in the last week, and I see absolutely zero difference between them

yet I am sure I have been told before they are not the same.. It would seem to me, that ALL the boost aneroid stuff is dealt with in the top of the pump.. therefore the bodies are exactly similar.

Ye or Ne?

Reply #1February 05, 2012, 06:38:50 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: The difference between 1.6NA and 1.6TD pumps.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:38:50 pm »
It's been said often one can run a turbo pump on a NA with no ill effects.  While I have no hard data I've done it, and vice versa, and never saw any measurable difference in the seat-o-pants meter.  FWIW.  I always wondered if the advance curve differed some.  All I've had were high milers so they were presumably all worn in/out to some degree. :)
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #2February 05, 2012, 07:24:55 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:24:55 pm »
No techie here but I ran into this months ago when I got a local na pump that had tight mainshaft bushings.

Popped the top and found the governor arm into the lid wasn't notched like my turbo pumps so one big assembly so I had no option but to tear it down.

Also the delivery valves were shorter on na pump, so I used all my relative turbo bits and high pressure end.

Also there was a pin staked into the na body  that gets in the way of the levers from the turbo top as I have read around here.  So when I had it apart I just grinded it flush from the inside and all has been well.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #3February 05, 2012, 08:38:05 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »
Yes that pin that comes in on the side is all I can see as the only difference.

Reply #4February 08, 2012, 11:18:36 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:36 pm »
1.6 NA

1.6 TD

Beside Each other.

Reply #5February 09, 2012, 07:03:30 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:03:30 am »
Great pictures.

Funny how Bosch allowed that degradation of identity stamp on the later pump. Generic body compared with specific batch production on the n/a.  The TD is rated @2250rpm, whilst the n/a @ 2400rpm.

As a pump novice, I wonder if that means the governors were different, or even advance rate? It would make sense as an n/a has to operate at higher rpm to get sufficient power.

Maybe n/a body with TD head, gives best high range
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #6February 09, 2012, 10:50:45 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50:45 am »
Great pictures.

Funny how Bosch allowed that degradation of identity stamp on the later pump. Generic body compared with specific batch production on the n/a.  The TD is rated @2250rpm, whilst the n/a @ 2400rpm.

As a pump novice, I wonder if that means the governors were different, or even advance rate? It would make sense as an n/a has to operate at higher rpm to get sufficient power.

Maybe n/a body with TD head, gives best high range

seems to go along with what ive found.. my REAL td pump would come on sooner, and fall off quicker..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #7February 10, 2012, 07:05:59 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 07:05:59 am »
Does anyone have a pic of the badge's of the yellow dot, and a standard 107? Actually, just the Bosch coding figures read off would suffice
Also a couple of measured dynamic advance readings for a true yellow dot pump? It's the missing link in my graph I'm constructing.Thanks ;D
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #8February 10, 2012, 11:56:59 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:56:59 am »
i guess id need to tap an out bolt and put a pressure gauge in it for this? i have a yellow dot pump
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #9February 10, 2012, 09:36:51 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:36:51 pm »
i guess id need to tap an out bolt and put a pressure gauge in it for this? i have a yellow dot pump
Hi Trevor,
Do you have a diesel timing light which would give the actual pump advance? THat is some of  the infoermation I'm looking for. THe internal pressure of the pump at a few different speeds would also be useful to correlate with the figures given by Hagar some years ago. I'll post a picture or a link to several different ways of measuring the internal pressure of the pump including my own method tomorrow. I'm too tired to do it now, as it's 2.30am her and I've just written an essay on heatshields, and hunted down some pictures I'd mislayed.
Cheers,
Mark
Mark-The-Miser-UK

S-PAutomotive.com