S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Hydraulic lifters and how to test 'em better?  (Read 12964 times)

Reply #15February 22, 2012, 01:25:08 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Hydraulic lifters and how to test 'em better?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 01:25:08 pm »
Good so far!!! I haven't drove it lots but it cranked less today than it did before.

I rebuilt the head myself, the whole problem was due to the valve stems protruding too close to the cam which I did know about the spec but for some reason I over looked it.

I totally enjoy driving this thing, cruises nice and quiet (compared to rabbit), has less power but I don't have the timing dialed in yet.

I'll keep you all posted on it.....
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #16February 22, 2012, 03:25:01 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »
You say you rebuilt the head, did you also grind down the valve seats? Because that's the only way that the valve stems would be too long. A machine shop should check for this if they did the seats.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #17February 23, 2012, 01:36:12 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 01:36:12 pm »
You say you rebuilt the head, did you also grind down the valve seats? Because that's the only way that the valve stems would be too long. A machine shop should check for this if they did the seats.

I did grind the seats and I did know about this measurement but I think I got interrupted in the middle of shortening them and skipped quite a few. Lesson learned the hard way, I wish I could blame a machine shop but I WAS the shop so I can't get my money back.

I have to mess with static timing and then timing advance and it'll be runnin' good. It likes to shudder a bit at low rpm/low power, when I pour on the coal it does fine until higher rpm then it sounds a little to marbly.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Fixmyvw.com