Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: adjusting idle RPM  (Read 2072 times)

February 02, 2012, 12:29:45 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

adjusting idle RPM
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:29:45 pm »
I can't adjust my idle RPM lower than 1100, the adjustment screw is at the lowest setting. The throttle shaft has been messed with before when I changed the o-ring and the position was disturbed. Are there any adjustments inside the top cover or is it done by re-indexing the throttle shaft? Any tricks putting the 2 throttle springs back in and lining up the plate with the shaft, the washer and seating the nut? I had a very difficult time the last time I had to do that.

Reply #1February 02, 2012, 12:49:59 pm

guy plain

• Junior

Re: adjusting idle RPM
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:49:59 pm »
i might be way off here ...but if your blowing lots of smoke on hard throttle try turning down your fueling...i had mine cranked way up and couldnt get it to idle...sounds like the smae thing you have going on....

Reply #2February 02, 2012, 02:38:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 02:38:43 pm »
I would also start by backing out the smoke screw/ power screw what ever you know it by.  That is the internal adjustment you need to get the idle down.  Should be able to lower it enough that you then will need to bump the adjustment on the cold start lever.

For the springs, I put down the thin flat plate and the lower spring and then build on top of that with the spacer, the lever and washers.  Then I get the top spring in the notch of the spacer and leave the tension off for now.  I put the nut on but only get it snug.  I grab a pair of needle nosed vice grips and pinch that top spring and bring it around to the hookup place on the pump and drop it in there.  Then go back and tighten the top nut.

I have a NA 1.6 nonturbo, simple pump.

Reply #3February 02, 2012, 03:06:31 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:06:31 pm »
Thanks guys but it's not the smoke screw adjustment causing the high idle.

ORCoaster, when you have the top nut on before the spring is hooked, is the throttle shaft detent lined up in the lever?

Reply #4February 02, 2012, 11:16:19 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:19 pm »
Yes most of it is all set to tighten.  I just need a little bit of clearance to get the spring through the top plate and behind the metal tab on the pump.

Reply #5February 03, 2012, 12:08:42 am

steevz

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:08:42 am »
When I did it a couple days ago.. I just hooked up the springs loosely then twisted it. It was a dirty little whore but only took a couple tries. My pump was off the car though. I can't remember what I did exactly but I think I used needle nose pliers with the bent tip.

Reply #6February 04, 2012, 04:03:51 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »
Putting the nut on loosely is a great tip, thanks! Before, I was trying to get the springs hooked first and then put the lever and nut in which often results in the throttle shaft dropping down a little so the splines would not engage in the lever and I have to start all over again. With the nut on loosely, I was able to use a loop of bailing wire to hook the spring and wind it around and hook it into position. Much easier! Thanks!

Fixmyvw.com