Author Topic: Exhaust Ceramic Coating  (Read 2556 times)

February 09, 2012, 06:19:51 pm

trav1856

• Junior

Exhaust Ceramic Coating
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:19:51 pm »
So while I've got the head off, I've decided to improve exhaust flow, I'm going to put a gasser exhaust in its place (the 4 -> 2 -> 1 header type from a cabriolet). Would it be wise to paint them with hi-temp ceramic paint? Or would that cause problems down the road?

1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Reply #1February 09, 2012, 06:39:10 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Exhaust Ceramic Coating
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:39:10 pm »
So while I've got the head off, I've decided to improve exhaust flow, I'm going to put a gasser exhaust in its place (the 4 -> 2 -> 1 header type from a cabriolet). Would it be wise to paint them with hi-temp ceramic paint? Or would that cause problems down the road?

the paint will more than likely just wear off..

usually ceramic coating is just ceramic, and sprayed on, both inside and outside, then baked on..

should have titled it as "ceramic header paint"...
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2February 09, 2012, 08:56:35 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:56:35 pm »
Yeah... I would either just spray it with high temp paint and wrap it (~$60) or just go all out and get them ceramic coated (~$200-$??)

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Reply #3February 09, 2012, 09:49:11 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »
You can get ceramic coatings done pretty cheap, nowadays.  I've used a few companies and of course Jet Hot was the most expensive.

Something to insider is how often the car will be driven.  If its a weekend car, the coating likely won't last.  I've had a down pipe/manifold coating fail twice due to rust.  The parts need to be heat cycled and they'll last a long time.

I wouldn't wrap parts.  Holding the heat in will make the part fail much sooner.

-Todd

Reply #4February 10, 2012, 10:04:23 am

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Ceramic Coating
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:04:23 am »
You can get ceramic coatings done pretty cheap, nowadays.  I've used a few companies and of course Jet Hot was the most expensive.

Something to insider is how often the car will be driven.  If its a weekend car, the coating likely won't last.  I've had a down pipe/manifold coating fail twice due to rust.  The parts need to be heat cycled and they'll last a long time.

I wouldn't wrap parts.  Holding the heat in will make the part fail much sooner.

-Todd

Do you think there would be any benefit to wrapping my 3" downpipe on my turbo? It is stainless steel so shouldn't fail due to rust.

Sent from my DROID X2

Reply #5February 10, 2012, 10:55:56 am

Helliouse

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:55:56 am »
I coated stock mani. Reasoning is the turbo uses the heat generated by the combustion event, if you can keep more of that heat in the exhaust gasses to be used in the turbo, the more boost your going to get, quicker.
So is it worth it, I think so.

The price wasn't bad, and in Alberta I used Top Gun coatings.
1990 Jetta TD...Its a Project! And wait...its built in Wolfsberg! swEEt - 1.6l TD = Dead... TDI ALH in the works...

Reply #6February 10, 2012, 11:35:57 am

ToddA1

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Ceramic Coating
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
Do you think there would be any benefit to wrapping my 3" downpipe on my turbo? It is stainless steel so shouldn't fail due to rust.

There's definitely a benefit, but there's still a downside.  Although your d/p is stainless, lower grades of stainless will still rust.  Even if it's 304 stainless, I have a feeling that keeping the heat in will fatigue the metal, causing premature failure.  IIRC, all header manufacturers state header wrap will void the warranty.

If it were my part, I'd go with the coating.  I had one company tell me that they (nobody) could promise 100% inside coverage.  The coating is sprayed on, so it'll only reach where the spray allows.  That was a decade ago, so maybe you can find someplace that'll dip the parts in an immersion tank.  I have no clue where the technology has gone.

I notice that Eastwood now sells an internal header coating.

-Todd

Reply #7February 10, 2012, 12:37:38 pm

trav1856

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »
My main concern for asking was whether the coating would cause damage by heat retention and whether or not it would cause higher EGT's
1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Reply #8February 10, 2012, 12:45:16 pm

Helliouse

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:45:16 pm »
The coating shouldn't cause damage, it is supposed to help keep the head out of the material. From what I have read and been told.
1990 Jetta TD...Its a Project! And wait...its built in Wolfsberg! swEEt - 1.6l TD = Dead... TDI ALH in the works...

Fixmyvw.com