Author Topic: New TDI Jetta Project/DD  (Read 20434 times)

Reply #30February 26, 2012, 06:51:54 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

Re: New TDI Jetta Project/DD
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:54 pm »
Took the intake and EGR valve off today. Lots of crud inside! Going to go soak these in the parts cleaner at work for a day or so and then start with the scrubbing.

EGR valve

Intake

Un-mated the automatic.

Here's a look at the timing belt... I'd say it is original and needs replacing!

And got the auto shifter out:

Up to come this week I'll be doing the wiring changes, some more cleaning, repacking grease on the manual axles, etc etc.
1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, ~180k miles

Reply #31February 27, 2012, 12:32:47 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:47 pm »
Progress today!

I look at that picture with all the fiddle faddle going everywhere -
makes me want to go hug and kiss and love up on my Mk1 & 2's so hard. LoL

It'll be a real creampuff deluxe when you and jess get done.
I'd do it too, if i sourced the kind of Buy-In you guys are sitting on.
This is pretty epic in the awesome category.
Groovy Man

ive been working with an Audi GT coupe.. clutch & timing belt.. every second i work on it, the more i LOVE my mk1&2 cars.. hell, mk3s arent even bad now!! and i used to not like them very much.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #32February 27, 2012, 01:21:44 pm

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 01:21:44 pm »
They have made some things more complicated for sure, but being able to take the whole front end off...yeah, loving that. Spent more time cursing the Mk1 for not having that ability when we did the rebuild. And really, the work, while time consuming, has been pretty easy so far.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #33February 27, 2012, 01:26:15 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 01:26:15 pm »
They have made some things more complicated for sure, but being able to take the whole front end off...yeah, loving that. Spent more time cursing the Mk1 for not having that ability when we did the rebuild. And really, the work, while time consuming, has been pretty easy so far.

the mk1 is the only one that doesnt have an easily removable front clip.. mk2 and later are all easy removable.. mk2 only has like 5 (maybe 8) screws holding it on! takes like 10 mins to pull the core support on one!

honestly, ive never really felt it necessary for the mk1 to have a removable front clip.. theres plenty of room once you remove the radiator.. oh, wait, you guys have a/c, your radiator isnt easily removable.. im sorry.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #34February 27, 2012, 10:05:24 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:24 pm »
A little bit of cleaning later, and viola:

Not perfect but much much better!

Also had the machinist at work make these up for me. Won't have to deal with this crud again!

Put in some more parts orders today...

Reply #35March 04, 2012, 08:33:15 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 08:33:15 pm »
Got a lot done this weekend.

Installed the new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. Then mated the transmission:

Timing belt and waterpump, all rollers and tensioner replaced.

Here's the old belt and stuff:

New stuff on:

And all wrapped up:

I drilled and tapped the intake manifold and exhaust manifold for a boost fitting and EGT probe respectively. Went with the same Aircraft Spruce pyrometer probe as I did on the '84 Jetta. Ran the EGT leads through some fire sleeving. Installed and also installed the new blockoff plates on the EGR.

Wrestled the automatic gas/brake pedal cluster out. I decided to run the proper manual pedal cluster to avoid having to cut the pedal down. Now I also have a donor drive by wire gas pedal for possible future projects.

Getting this ball from the socket on the pedal was fun. Thanks a ton to Evan to lend me the proper tool to get it off without breaking it.

New pedals in:

Manual shift box installed:

Then finally cleaned and repacked the outer CVs with new grease.

So now all that is left to do is the wiring changes, hang the clutch pedal, reinstall engine and transmission, hook everything back up, fill with oil, coolant, and power steering fluid, recode ECU with VAG-COM, check timing with VAG-COM, and try it out!

Also just for kicks, went out on a little photoshoot on Sunday. Here are the other two VWs:

Reply #36March 06, 2012, 08:28:03 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »
Moving RIGHT ALONG with style and ease.
Nice update and progress !

Those wheels really look good on Jessies GTI. tough stuff - are they stock ?

But that old 84 is still the toughest looking VW around.
itza badbad muggafugga

Reply #37March 06, 2012, 08:55:15 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 08:55:15 pm »
You should also remove the egr cooler as it serves no purpose now.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #38March 07, 2012, 08:16:44 am

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 08:16:44 am »
The wheels on the GTI are some ebay specials that vaguely resemble some BBS wheels. Looking for a set of Aristos which were the original equipment.

Wiring is about 80% done, should be finished tonight. Clutch pedal is hung.

Reply #39March 07, 2012, 10:54:55 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:55 pm »
Wiring is done. New thermostat in. New serpentine belt tensioner installed.

Picking up the EGR bypass coolant hose tomorrow. Took the cooler back off the motor. Have some new silicon vacuum line to replace the fraying old lines with, and some Viton injector return lines to install.

Otherwise need to do a little cleaning, then ready to reinstall everything.

Picked up a New South 0-35 PSI boost gauge.

Just found out that the New South EGT gauge I bought is apparently incompatible with the Aircraft Spruce EGT probe I have installed. Not sure what I'm going to do there. Need to find out more info on what type of thermocouple the New South takes, and if the probe is a decently slim one. If not, I will keep the known Aircraft Spruce probe and get a different gauge.

Reply #40March 07, 2012, 11:02:19 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:19 pm »
You should also remove the egr cooler as it serves no purpose now.

thats what i was thinking..

Reply #41March 08, 2012, 01:18:01 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 01:18:01 am »
Can't remember if you already mentioned it - but does the Mk4 have a snow screen diffusor over the air intake port of air cleaner box ?

It was fairly nasty on Ingolds 98 with similar mileage.

Reply #42March 11, 2012, 02:02:40 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 02:02:40 pm »
Cleaned the snow screen, wasn't too bad.

Put it all back together yesterday. Got it started today and drove it around the block!

Need to advance timing a bit after the manual coding to increase IQ to fix idle stutter.

Reply #43March 11, 2012, 09:51:29 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:29 pm »
Saturday progress was to install the engine and trans, hook everything up, fill with fluids, put bumper back on.

Only pic mid-progress:

Sunday hooked up the VAG COM and switched coding to manual transmission. Checked new functions - reverse light switch works, and was able to start the car, so starter interlock wiring is good.

First impression on the clutch is that it is extremely light! If I had not read that people thought this combo was almost strangely light I would maybe have been concerned. Regardless, was able to move the car and drive it around the block fine, found all gears.

First drive had a stutter at idle, which I expected based on the swap documentation. Checked timing once warm, and it was right near the red line on the TDI Timing graph in VAG COM, i.e. within spec but retarded. Also checked IQ and at idle it was fluctuating 0.6-1.0, which explained the stutter.

Advanced the timing, now it is sitting advanced, but within spec. Was able to adapt the IQ via software to max out at 3.0. Stutter is now gone. The general knowledge is that this should be 3-5 at idle. Not sure if I should increase this, but any further will have to be accomplished via the "hammer mod". Otherwise seems to drive fine as set.

First two passes around the blocks, had no power assist on the brakes. Realized there was a slit in the hard vacuum line to the booster. Covered with electrical tape and hose clamped, now I have brakes!

Washed the car for the first time and vacuumed. Still need to go back with the steam cleaner and hit the seats again, but they did come much cleaner than the first time.

Still need to reinstall interior trim around the shifter and lower dash. Also have to install the gauges and install my MP3 CD player.

Reply #44March 12, 2012, 01:54:02 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 01:54:02 am »
Great job Bill and Jess.
Car looks a lot happier now, than it did with the autocrappic and cloudy eyeballs.

When you adjusted the timing - was it done mechanically - or was it close enough that the software was able to handle it ?