Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6TD Oil pressure and Oil Temp senders  (Read 6475 times)

January 15, 2012, 11:35:40 am

badersbus

1.6TD Oil pressure and Oil Temp senders
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:35:40 am »
Hi All.
Now my son's caddy is up and running we thought it a good idea to fit an Oil temp and Pressure guage.
Where would be the best place to fit these. My inital thoughts were to put the Oil temp sender where the sender in the head is with a T piece and the pressure sender in the hole on top of the oil filter housing , again with a T to keep the original senders / warning systems still in use or do i not need to keep the standard stuff ??.
What about using a T piece for both on top of the Oil filter , and keeping the standard sender in the head ?
Also what is the thread in the hole on the top of the oil filter where the present sender screws in , as i will need to get an adaptor to tap into here i think.
Oh and the thirty two thousand dollar question , what should i be looking for with regard to maximum oil temp and pressure at idle mid range etc etc

Any help and especially pictures would be a great help.

Many thanks

Kirk

Reply #1January 15, 2012, 02:01:32 pm

BillyWillicker

• Junior

Re: 1.6TD Oil pressure and Oil Temp senders
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:01:32 pm »
The oil temp sender goes into the oil filter flange, the oil pressure sender goes into the driver side of the head.

Reply #2January 15, 2012, 02:48:08 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »
You get two different pressures if you measure one at the pump and the other at the head.  The senders had two different values on them to account for this. 

I run a tee as you mentioned at the head for the gauge on one side the sensor on the other.  Keeps things simple and I have some idea of what the sweep value on the dash is compared to the "actual value" of a mechanical gauge.  Not that either one is perfect, especially with a 5 dollar gauge.  But it is close. 

As for oil temperature, hmm.  I am thinking the split at the pump would be better.  That is where the oil cooler would be so you would gain information there about how cool the oil might be coming into the rest of the engine. 

If I had a second temp gauge for oil I would take off there.  I presently use a temp on the coolant line. 

My thoughts, DAS

Reply #3January 15, 2012, 11:54:10 pm

BillyWillicker

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:54:10 pm »
The ideal placement for oil temperature reading would be in the oil filter flange as it is post-pump and pre-bearing, it tells you what temp the oil is just before it gets to the bearing surfaces.  The oil pressure can be monitored from 2 places, the oil filter flange and the head - the flange will tell you the status of the lower end and the head location will tell the valvetrain status.  If you have a gauge in both locations you can gain insight on the condition of the engine from the difference in the readings. 

Whilst thinking on this, hmm.  New topic!

Reply #4January 16, 2012, 02:46:25 pm

badersbus

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.
 So the concensus is pressure from the head and temp from the filter flange , but would it still be beneficial to retain the original senders  and warning system by utilising Tee pieces to plumb the guages in.
Just wondered , as my thinking was you can't always be watching a guage , but you can see a warning lamp flashing . What you think
Cheers Fellas

Kirk

Reply #5January 16, 2012, 03:31:43 pm

Swartzvw

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »
 So the concensus is pressure from the head and temp from the filter flange , but would it still be beneficial to retain the original senders  and warning system by utilising Tee pieces to plumb the guages in.
Just wondered , as my thinking was you can't always be watching a guage , but you can see a warning lamp flashing . What you think
Cheers Fellas

Kirk

You can get a sender for a cabriolet that has terminals for both a gauge and the warning light. Screw that into the head. Also there might be another port on the filter flange for your temp sender. Look for an allen head plug.
84 VW Rabbit w/ VNT 17
87 VW Jetta GL

Reply #6January 16, 2012, 03:36:58 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:36:58 pm »
Cheers Fellas

Kirk

You can get a sender for a cabriolet that has terminals for both a gauge and the warning light. Screw that into the head. Also there might be another port on the filter flange for your temp sender. Look for an allen head plug.

yes, you MUST put the temp sender in a FLOWING PATH of oil, not just in an oil port..

there isnt enough room, or flow at the head port to take oil temp readings..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #7March 12, 2012, 03:50:18 pm

badersbus

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »
Ok Guys.
Got the oil pressure guage in on a T piece in the side of the head now. I seem to have created another problem however .
The oil warning lamp is flashing now , all though the guage is reading around 4 bar in pressure.
Could the pressure sensor where it T's in restricting the flow to the sender on the end of the T piece ? , or faulty wiring / poor connection to the stock sender or a dash clock problem ?
Here is the setup

Any help would be appreciated]
Kirk

Reply #8March 12, 2012, 04:11:04 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:11:04 pm »
I'd remove the gauge sender and tee and put the stock switch back in.  If that clears up the problem, either get a tee with bigger inner diameter or bore out your current one.  If all that fails, heck your stock switch or wiring might have just decided to give up the ghost.  EIther that or the sensor is just too far away from the flowing supply of oil.

Keep posting; gonna do this to my engine when built and I can use all the info provided.  Don't forget to take pics.  Thanks a lot for writing this up!

Reply #9March 12, 2012, 10:08:51 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »
Where did you get your Tee adapter?

I would like to do the same when I install my oil psi gauge, to retain the stock light and buzzer. Off hand do you happen to know that thread? 10x1.0?

Reply #10March 12, 2012, 11:27:13 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:13 pm »
I know the side of the head is m10-1.0.

Reply #11March 12, 2012, 11:29:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »
I know the side of the head is m10-1.0.

I believe they are threaded the same at the filter too. Ok, that will make it a tad easier then :) Thank-you.

Reply #12March 14, 2012, 03:59:29 pm

badersbus

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »
Where did you get your Tee adapter?

I would like to do the same when I install my oil psi gauge, to retain the stock light and buzzer. Off hand do you happen to know that thread? 10x1.0?
Can't exactly remember 8v , but here is a good a place as any.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3660/T-PIECE-M10-X-1-TAPERED/product_info.html

Sure you can get them easy enough though over your side of the pond.

Reply #13March 15, 2012, 04:08:21 pm

jb86

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »
I ran a 2' long stainless steel flex line to fender well into a tee w/ 1/8"npt fitting
For my electric pressure gauge sending unit and a metric m10x1 tap in the other side
I was able to tap the m10 x1 into the 1/8"npt for the oem sender
I ran the flex line to the filter flange

Reply #14March 15, 2012, 05:19:36 pm

badersbus

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 05:19:36 pm »
I ran a 2' long stainless steel flex line to fender well into a tee w/ 1/8"npt fitting
For my electric pressure gauge sending unit and a metric m10x1 tap in the other side
I was able to tap the m10 x1 into the 1/8"npt for the oem sender
I ran the flex line to the filter flange

Don't suppose you have any images jb ??