S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: missing linkz shift rod bearing and other shifter upgrades  (Read 4150 times)

March 23, 2012, 04:03:52 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

missing linkz shift rod bearing and other shifter upgrades
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »
so what started out as a motor mount r&r(hopefully to kill the vibration problem I'm having) on my newly acquired 91 eco diesel turned into a full shifter linkage r&r among other things. Previously I purchased a set of the missing linkz long and short selector levers (a2 style). Installed them and was very pleased with them i put those on my first Jetta that I still currently own and drive. The kit greatly improved the feel precision of my shift, along with some delrin bushings. Those I purchased from a seller on ebay by the name of mark1vw. On that car however i didn't replace the shift rod bearings the ones that are orange and live inside the shift box and relay bracket. So on my eco I pulled out all the linkage including the shifter box to replace all bushings relay levers and upgrade to an mk3 weighted shift rod. Only parts Im reusing are any mounting brackets, the long shift rod and the relay lever and bracket. What I purchased this time is the long and short selector levers, the same delrin bushings from mark1vw's ebay store, a relay lever ball replacement sleeve and the hard teflon shifter rod bearings to replace the orange prone to deterioration polyurethane oem units. I know how and where to put everything back together. The only question i have is has anyone installed a missinglinkz shift rod bearing into shifter box where there would normally be an orange bushing? The missinglinkz site only describes using one in the front relay bracket but makes no mention of using one in the box though the same orange part is used there in the factory application. One more question is any tip on how to get the carrier for said bushing out of the shift box?

92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #1April 10, 2012, 09:57:17 am

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
Re: Re: missing linkz shift rod bearing and other shifter upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57:17 am »
They are probably the same.  And can't you just squeeze out your old one and jam in the new one?

Sent from my DROID X2

Reply #2April 10, 2012, 11:07:15 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
Re: missing linkz shift rod bearing and other shifter upgrades
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:07:15 am »
Curious how this goes. I need at least the relay rod kit for my 89 golf. I think it will fix 90% of my slop

Reply #3April 10, 2012, 11:20:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:20:46 am »
I did everything on mine except the relay ball at the bottom of the shifter and the orange part there. It helped but until I finally did those parts that is when mine tightened up to new stock feel.

Reply #4April 10, 2012, 02:29:47 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »
I have a solution pics will be posted. getting the shift box out is a pain. so i wanted to replace with something better than little orange piece of junk that will wear out inevitably using one of those missinglinkz hard plastic bushings up there will probably out last the car.
This is kit is sooo worth the money to for anyone thinking of buying one. i also recommend buying a lock out tool for the shift lever it makes it way easier to adjust everything also enables you to not have to worry about repositioning the clamp on the long rod since its locked it will naturally go back to where its supposed to go.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:32:23 pm by bbob203 »
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #5April 10, 2012, 03:00:53 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:00:53 pm »
Heres some pics of what i did. Not totally sure if this is what I'm going with but most likely is.

what i did was take out this part and cut the two notches so the bolts would fit in.

for a template for the holes i just laid this piece down over the hole without the big bushing in it and marked and drilled holes.
what im also going to do is get another of these pieces and trim off the "dome" part to have a flat carrier to put on the inside to keep the big bushing in place.

I could've just omitted the big bushing and just made a carrier that could just bolt in place of the big bushing.. the reason i didn't was because vibration might be transferred if that big bushing is omitted. it probably wont be put to use for at least a month.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #6May 31, 2012, 08:23:46 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:23:46 pm »
this is pretty neat stuff. And now for an incredibly ignorant question, i have some replacement parts for my shifter junk. How do you get the ball off the shifter stick? Does it all have to come out through the floor... i guess what im really asking is do i ahve to take the exhaust off to replace that ball i can so easily see through the top!
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #7June 02, 2012, 09:38:57 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:38:57 am »
this is pretty neat stuff. And now for an incredibly ignorant question, i have some replacement parts for my shifter junk. How do you get the ball off the shifter stick? Does it all have to come out through the floor... i guess what im really asking is do i ahve to take the exhaust off to replace that ball i can so easily see through the top!

yes you do. as long as your coupler on your exhaust isn't rusted bad its pretty easy to drop the exhaust, bend and remove heat shield without having to remove the c clips on the manifold. I did it in less than an hour.

I also have the final incarnation of my shifter box setup with the missinglinkz shift bearing.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #8July 25, 2012, 08:33:47 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 08:33:47 pm »
I just pulled out the shifter box for the second time ever last week. I still hate doing it! The first time I did the shift bushings on my car, I noticed that the kit only came with one "orange" bushing, so I put the one that I got up front where it was needed. I pulled the box out to replace the shifter ball and all associated but I did NOT notice (somehow) that the bushing in the front of the shifter box was one and the same. Now last week, I went to adjust my shift linkage and noticed the ridiculous amount of play in the front of the box. That setup is foul!

"I have an Idea! Let's put a rubber bushing, within a plastic casing, and then lets put that casing in ANOTHER rubber bushing!"  ???

I almost ruined the white plastic piece trying to get the new bushing in there. I LOVE the idea of this modification as this process is certainly NOT one that I want to do every year or two. I am going with the missing linkz bushing next time and modifying the front of the shifter box using another front shift bracket from a junkyard. Brilliant!

Reply #9July 25, 2012, 09:29:50 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:29:50 pm »
I came up with a better idea. The piece that the soft plastic orange  bushing rides in on the shifter box. Take it out remove the orange piece of *** inside of it. Take a razor knife cut a slit in it and you can pop in a hard plastic missinglinkz bearing then hose clamp the bigger outer rubber/plastic thing back into place. It takes some working to get it all back together with the shift rod and shifter and such. but its was i did and though i haven't road tested or have it all completely back together it already feel leagues better than stock slop. I wish i took pictures of the final incarnation but i forgot and i already have the exhaust back up in the car.

i also recommend these bushings for the other parts. (i have the same 4 bushings from this guy installed but never used ones id sell for 25+ postage)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-Jetta-Cabrio-MK3-MK2-SHIFTER-BUSHING-KIT-white-delrin-4-pc-set-/290667323627?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ad1f60eb&vxp=mtr#ht_2064wt_929
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #10December 01, 2012, 08:52:28 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 08:52:28 am »
I just realized how super awesome my shifter set up is compared to stock and compared to an 02a. Just thought id share. Ive been driving my new passat for the last week got in my jetta this morning and i was just blown away.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

S-PAutomotive.com