S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: injector seals (slight return)  (Read 1803 times)

February 20, 2012, 02:08:43 pm

belchfire

• Junior

injector seals (slight return)
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:08:43 pm »
Some time back I asked about using mercedes seals in the v-dub. I got inconclusive answers so I figured I'd try it & see. The merc's have a bigger hole in the center so there must be some reason, right?
As far as I can tell, there's none. Sealing or performance doesn't seem to be affected; at least not as far as I can tell. Let price be your judge, I guess. Which, by the way, NAPA P.O.'d me greatly when they jacked the price to over $4/ea. I bought a dozen from Halsey imports for $.79/ea & they look the same.

The Owl of Minerva flies at dusk
'81 rabbit pick up  1.6 turbo diesel  SVO

Reply #1February 20, 2012, 06:46:26 pm

steevz

• Junior

Re: injector seals (slight return)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »
The heat shields? I'd imagine the bigger hole is because merc injectors flow more fuel.

Reply #2February 20, 2012, 07:27:03 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:27:03 pm »
i would imagine the bigger hole is to match up to the merc injector nozzle spray pattern..

the merc spray pattern is different, and it is not even close to ideal for the VW swirl chamber..

i imagine you could get away with using the merc heat shields tho.. dunno why not.. unless they dont contact the face of the nozzle..

92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3February 21, 2012, 12:49:09 am

belchfire

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:49:09 am »
I happen to have a 300 TD in the shop and the nozzle aperture isn't any bigger than the VW. They flow more fuel and that's the supposed hi-po "tuner" set-up but the VW shield hole is more than sufficient to accommodate that. Both nozzles have flat faces and mount the same way. I had no leakage. I'd like to know more about the spray pattern. Lots of discussion about other nozzles but I don't remember anything about differing patterns, just volumes. Heat shields-same thing.

Reply #4February 21, 2012, 05:13:19 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:13:19 am »
I happen to have a 300 TD in the shop and the nozzle aperture isn't any bigger than the VW. They flow more fuel and that's the supposed hi-po "tuner" set-up but the VW shield hole is more than sufficient to accommodate that. Both nozzles have flat faces and mount the same way. I had no leakage. I'd like to know more about the spray pattern. Lots of discussion about other nozzles but I don't remember anything about differing patterns, just volumes. Heat shields-same thing.
Are they like the 'copper' one at the end of  the row? I think this came off a small Ford. I used the injectors. Come to think of it, it may be the one's that were set to 130 bar factory, that I am currently using now

Do not some of the Mercs use a different prechamber that relies on a compact spray being fired onto a hot glow ball? I think spray patterns are tight for both types, and IIRC Merc-men use VW nozzles...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #5February 21, 2012, 07:34:10 pm

belchfire

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:34:10 pm »
Yes, it looks like the "copper" one. I am not familiar with the merc pre-cup or it's design. They are otherwise identical. One of the great mysteries of our time. 

S-PAutomotive.com