Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: what TD pump is this? proably an German Eco. Where is the pop-off valve?  (Read 6552 times)

January 10, 2012, 02:54:20 am

levi20AE

• User+

pictures stolen from the internet, but identical pump.

I recently purchased an AAZ with low miles but after getting it home i noticed the pump does not have a line for boost enrichment.  It came from a german MkIII and has an extra limit switch on top that i wont need in a MkI.  What are the advantaged/disadventages of not having a boost line too the pump?  Can it be converted over to easily?

Thanks,

Levi
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:28:20 am by levi20AE »

Reply #1January 10, 2012, 05:45:20 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: what TD pump is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:45:20 am »
That I believe is merely a 'blank', undrilled etc.
This is basically an n/a pump with added swittch rubbish.
No boost line means no turbo related input so all fuelling done with your foot.
Simpler to get another pump I believe, as you with need to butcher another pump to get the parts...

Do you have some numbers on the side for me to look up, thanks?
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #2January 10, 2012, 08:19:37 am

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:19:37 am »
across the pond they had 1.9l N/A's i assume this is off one.

Reply #3January 10, 2012, 08:51:49 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:51:49 am »
I don't know if they got eco diesels over yonder but that pump is similar to some of the ones we got up here in Canada on our eco diesels. It's off a non-ac car. The switch is for the EGR system I think.
Tyler

Reply #4January 10, 2012, 12:36:01 pm

levi20AE

• User+

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:36:01 pm »
I pulled the switch off and the brackets associated with it, that's when I noticed the pact of a boost port. The motor did come with an AC braket though. The turbo is made by Garrett and has T2 on the label, if that helps.  Do you guys think this motor would run less boost or make less power?

Reply #5January 10, 2012, 01:21:37 pm

BillyWillicker

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:37 pm »
It looks to be either an "eco" aaz pump or an "altitude compensating NA" mk2 pump.  I think all it would need for real turbo duty is a star wheel, spring, boost pin and a "real" lda top.

Reply #6January 10, 2012, 08:01:22 pm

levi20AE

• User+

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »
Will this motor run less boost than a standard TD then?  If it is an Eco motor are the internals he same as those found in normal TDs?

Reply #7January 10, 2012, 08:49:40 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:49:40 pm »
Will this motor run less boost than a standard TD then?  If it is an Eco motor are the internals he same as those found in normal TDs?
No it won't run less boost not that boost means all that much and yes it has the same internals. Even if it were a 1y non turbo 1.9 idi it would still have oil squirters but it would have different pistons and rods. The difference being that the na Rods are longer(the engine still has the same stroke as that is determined by the crank). Longer rods make safer rod angles so ur less likely to bend a rod but produce less torque. Either way a 1.9 idi is a 1.9 idi the differences are minute
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #8January 10, 2012, 09:54:25 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »
AC and non-AC brackets are the same on the AAZ (as I recall)

The engine should make just as much boost as with one with a LDA, but it will take longer to build boost. Honestly, the stock boost pin on the AAZ pumps is almost worthless. They pretty much are all NA pumps ::) Unless you are planning on doing some mods, I wouldn't worry about the LDA (or lack of one)

The guts of that LDA are not machined so it would be a lot of work to get a functioning LDA out of it. Plus you would be missing quite a few pieces that are very expensive if bought separately.
Tyler

Reply #9January 10, 2012, 10:35:34 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:35:34 pm »
i had my n/a pump maxed out, and it only made 15psi boost on a good day, and smoked like a train on the bottom end..

now i have a fully functioning TD pump, and it makes closer to 20psi, with less fuel screw, and no smoke..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #10January 11, 2012, 12:04:25 am

levi20AE

• User+

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 12:04:25 am »

Thanks everyone for all the help and information!

i had my n/a pump maxed out, and it only made 15psi boost on a good day, and smoked like a train on the bottom end..

now i have a fully functioning TD pump, and it makes closer to 20psi, with less fuel screw, and no smoke..

this has been the case on my current 1.6NA that i added a turbo to with the NA pump.  I'm worried that in order to make decent tq i will need to add fuel down low and result in extra smoke.  I have already dealt with the local smoke nazis. 

BTW: here is a video of this motor on an engine dyno from the seller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jELk5zKsKYg&feature=player_embedded
 If you ever get a chance to do business with Quality German Auto Parts i wouldn't hesitate.  Great guy, he even delivered the engine from LA to Vegas for $50 and saved a lot of money on CA sales tax since the exchange was out of state.

Reply #11January 11, 2012, 09:00:55 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:00:55 pm »
No it won't run less boost not that boost means all that much and yes it has the same internals. Even if it were a 1y non turbo 1.9 idi it would still have oil squirters but it would have different pistons and rods. The difference being that the na Rods are longer(the engine still has the same stroke as that is determined by the crank). Longer rods make safer rod angles so ur less likely to bend a rod but produce less torque. Either way a 1.9 idi is a 1.9 idi the differences are minute

Could you please explain this? Surely a longer rod is a weaker rod, unless made stockier, and heavier. The torque lowering is also hard to grasp. Cheers.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #12January 11, 2012, 11:50:10 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:10 pm »
It has to do with how much of an angle the rod is placed at during rotation. A longer rod is placed at a lesser angle so it is less likely to bend or be stressed. A shorter rod is placed at sharper angles and is more likely to bend but it gives a mechanical advantage producing more torque. Rod length also effects the speed of the piston at different parts of the stroke. It's a bunch of craziness generally tho shorter rods are better for low end power longer rods are better for high rpm power
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #13January 11, 2012, 11:52:48 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:52:48 pm »
http://www.stahlheaders.com/Lit_Rod%20Length.htm

This is the best thorough explanation also this place is local to me

Reply #14January 12, 2012, 09:42:20 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 09:42:20 am »
It has to do with how much of an angle the rod is placed at during rotation. A longer rod is placed at a lesser angle so it is less likely to bend or be stressed. A shorter rod is placed at sharper angles and is more likely to bend but it gives a mechanical advantage producing more torque. Rod length also effects the speed of the piston at different parts of the stroke. It's a bunch of craziness generally tho shorter rods are better for low end power longer rods are better for high rpm power

i always thought short rods were good for turning a bazillion RPMS, like a honda..

and long rods were for torque, like in a diesel..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com